Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

iTunes to RNS510 via DVD/CD

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Westafalia club joker
I'm trying to copy music from my iTunes library onto my RNS510. iTunes allows me to burn a playlist to DVD and no problem copying this to the RNS510 hardrive. But when trying to select a track/file to play there is no obvious way of selecting an album or artist, only by individual tracks. Am I right to say that the only way around this would be to create a playlist for each album or artist, which would by default create a folder for each album/artist?
If this is the case it will take me a lifetime ! I might stick to iPod and the Aux input :(

Any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers.

I'm trying to copy music from my iTunes library onto my RNS510. iTunes allows me to burn a playlist to DVD and no problem copying this to the RNS510 hardrive. But when trying to select a track/file to play there is no obvious way of selecting an album or artist, only by individual tracks. Am I right to say that the only way around this would be to create a playlist for each album or artist, which would by default create a folder for each album/artist?
If this is the case it will take me a lifetime ! I might stick to iPod and the Aux input :(

Any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers.
I believe you are correct.. The HD is just a collection of files or folders. So your folders can be for Artist, Albums, Genre etc. The unit does not have the computing capabilities to pick and play a track based on the file metadata such as artist or album etc:.
It would be easier, rather than burning DVD's or CD's, to just transfer the files to aUSB stick if you have the Media In capability or a SD card if you can use one with your Computer. You can get a USB card reader + SD card on eBay. I've got the Media In USB port so I use a 16GB USB stick with all my iTunes music on in Playlist folders. I can pick individual folders or just random play of them all.

I believe you are correct.. The HD is just a collection of files or folders. So your folders can be for Artist, Albums, Genre etc. The unit does not have the computing capabilities to pick and play a track based on the file metadata such as artist or album etc:.
It would be easier, rather than burning DVD's or CD's, to just transfer the files to aUSB stick if you have the Media In capability or a SD card if you can use one with your Computer. You can get a USB card reader + SD card on eBay. I've got the Media In USB port so I use a 16GB USB stick with all my iTunes music on in Playlist folders. I can pick individual folders or just random play of them all.
Thanks for the confirmation. I won't waste more time trying to crack this one! I don't have a media input but the Aux in does allow me to play directly from my IPod if I want to select at album/artist level.
I might also try a large SD card.
Cheers

On my RNS 315, if you just have each album in separate folders, they are selectable as an album then.

On my RNS 315, if you just have each album in separate folders, they are selectable as an album then.
Thanks, my "challenge" was getting iTunes to export each album to a folder but the only way to do this appears to be one at a time. However WelshGas pointed me in the right direction, a big SD card, forget DVDs. So with the Hardrive plus the SD card I should get most of my collection loaded.
To get around ITunes export issues I am copying directly from the iTunes/media/music folder which retains the artist/album/track hierarchy.

iTunes seems to do its best to make it hard to export things effectively. Naughty Apple.

iTunes seems to do its best to make it hard to export things effectively. Naughty Apple.
Agreed!
I find iTunes/Apple great until you want to do anything they deem outside their predetermined boundaries!