Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510 weirdness

T

TwoDogs

VIP Member
My RNS510 kept trying to start up today...it would display the VW Navigation screen for a while the shut off and try again...over and over. It kept doing this for about 30 mins. I tried stopping, turning engine off and removing the key, but it made no difference. When it did eventually start, it was fine. It did the same heading home, but only for 5-10 mins.

Any thoughts? Is it on it's way out?

I seem to remember mine had an update when for a maintenance job a few years ago , has it been long since your Cali been to a official VW dealer ?

It was serviced at the dealer in December..I don't remember them saying they'd updated it

Not recent but they did at some point on my 2012SE in the past

Oh and the MFD on the dash was showing my phone was connected...

Must be something wrong there...

Thanks v much....that's what I was looking for. Will try it and report back

I had similar last year.

Took it to VW van centre for a known fix update.

The fix did not work, so it was replaced under VW warranty.

I had similar last year.

Took it to VW van centre for a known fix update.

The fix did not work, so it was replaced under VW warranty.
I don’t believe the RNS 510 was ever fitted to the T6.

I don’t believe the RNS 510 was ever fitted to the T6.
Hi WelshGas, I do not know the product number of what I have fitted. But what I have showed the same symptoms as described.

As I said, it was reported as a known error to which a software fix was available, but the fix did not work and it was replaced under VW warranty.

Sadly mine is well out of warranty....the soft reset doesn't work while it's stuck in the start up loop, and I got bored sitting on the drive waiting for it to decide to start.

Time to start looking at recommendations for a replacement I suspect

Sadly mine is well out of warranty....the soft reset doesn't work while it's stuck in the start up loop, and I got bored sitting on the drive waiting for it to decide to start.

Time to start looking at recommendations for a replacement I suspect
Hazzydayz can repair them and install latest software. Worth a call.

If, its at a stage where you are thinking of changing the unit then it might be worth trying to install a software update. I added a RNS510 earlier this year and to be honest had problems with the DVD reader when installing a mao update but the Firmware update via a CD was straight forward. Quick ebay search will show options or yiu can search for a download.

Thanks for the suggestions both. Of course, this morning, it behaved perfectly

Thanks for the suggestions both. Of course, this morning, it behaved perfectly
Bet it's just overheating in this 30c + heat, inside the van it can easily get to 40c or above.

OK check what firmware you have using this video, if that doesn't work you'll have to take out the radio and see what firmware version is printed on the unit. You ideally want firmware 5238 minimum, this can be downloaded from the web or purchased as a DVD with the latest map version on ebay. Note, if you do update your firmware there is a risk of losing your maps (mine didn't) so have your old map software or the latest version handy. Here is also a video of installing the firmware ...

Last edited:
I found this site really useful for updating my RNS510 firmware and maps...

But why do i need to buy it...I have it installed? (Sorry if being thick)

Your firmware may be corrupted in the RNS510 Hard Drive so if you buy it you can try to re-install it and then update the maps to the latest version - worth £13. Boot Loop is a common issue on the RNS510.