Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help -Cannot Decide!! (Coast, Ocean, Marco Polo or Nugget)

I use the buttons by the drivers door because it does not activate the interior alarm and is also "safe lock" which means the doors are not deadlocked, they can be forcibly opened should there be an emergency and a rescue initiated.

Where I keep the keys depend on where I am but if on a campsite with roof up then the "shelf"above the wardrobe but if wild camping o a kitchen cupboard shelf where I can collect them easily on my way to the drivers seat should there be an emergency.
Oh I see, the interior alarm, I don't have that so now that you explain it makes sense thx. If I'm awake the key is always in my pocket.

Had a T6 Ocean, next time will probably buy a Coast but with a couple of extras including the Panoramic canvas.

I am the owner of a SE with just the front aircon, I am perfectly happy with it with even 5 in the van in Spain in the summer it seems to cope fine.
Whenever the question comes up there are loads of people on here that will insist on the 3 zone set up, I don't know how many of them have actually tried the basic version.
What I would say however is that the tinted glass may pay a large part in keeping the van relatively cool in the back & you may want to consider that as an option.
Thanks, glad you said this, just ordered by mine without rear aircon and was starting to worry ! :Nailbiting

Go for the 3 Zone Climatronic. It gives you three different temp zones which can be set individually (driver, passenger & rear). You can also override the rear temps with the ‘sync’ button if the kids are messing around with the the temp. There is also a ‘rest’ button which can be pressed at the end of a journey which diverts the engine heat into the rear - useful for when your camping heater is warming up.
3 Zone was a must for us, travelling with 2 dogs on the rear seat. Agree about the ‘rest’ feature it can be very useful.

The red looks loads better in real life, My first choice was blue but my wife really like the red and it was free. I had sleepless nights worrying the van would look like PAT 1. A month in and I absolutely love it and get nice comments.
That's good to know. We let our 9-yr old choose the colour and he went cherry red. I hope I feel the same as you when it arrives!

I spent a lot of time choosing between ocean and polo. Almost bought the Polo, but the mercedes service levels In all the dealerships I dealt with bar 1 were the worst of any company I’ve ever dealt with and I’ve dealt with a lot! So I didnt place my order and went and bought the Ocean. Now I have used the
ocean I can see some of the pluses I thought the Marco had would have turned out to be a negative for me personally. Eg white leather seats, looks great but just not practical at all for my use. Electric rear seats, every polo I tried had problems with the rear seats. However, waiting for them to move into place would get tiresome real quick. Much prefer the speedy way the Ocean seats move back and forth. The Ocean is slightly longer I think by around 100mm. doesn't sound a lot but for me, it’s meant a lot. In a small vehicle every inch matters. But with the ocean I would now have preferred a manual roof, again to me it’s just quicker to throw it up And less chance of a breakdown. Also love the 4 wheel drive, which wasn’t available on the Polo at the time.

Thats my quick thought for what it’s worth, good look with your purchase.

As the title suggests, I'm just about to pull the trigger on our first foray into camper vanning but with so much choice and all the options having pros and cons, I'm struggling - I keep going from one to the other.

I need some help/advice/tips from those who have been in a similar situation, to help make the final decision.

Heres the rub...

1) VW Cali OCEAN
Cost - £57k
Pros - Got everything we need, Residual values, tied and tested camper.
Cons - cost (most expensive out of the 4 choices) not as luxurious as the MP

2) VW Cali Coast
Cost - £50k

Pros - Cheap with great residual, probably get back almost all the cost if sold it after a year. A classic camper at a good price.
Cons - Doesnt have the large zip out window in the pop top (but can add), manual roof (although its one less thing to go wrong), interior cloth probably not the best aesthetically or quality wise.

3) Marco Polo
Cost - £49k

Pros - Most luxurious of the 4, great quality drive and comfort, leather interior, best spec of the 4.
Cons - Table and Chairs poor location in boot, no front window in pop top, not as good residual value. 6 month waiting list.

4) Ford Nugget

Cost - £59k list (but doesn't appear on DTD or AEB so hard to know what price is possible.)

Pros - By far the best arrangement of cabin/lounge/kitchen. Hot water in kitchen
Cons - Unknown residual values, storage potentially an issue as kitchen in boot space. Not many (any) about to get user reviews on.

So there it is...can anyone add to this and maybe come up with something I've missed or advice on this....I've got my hand on the trigger to purchase one.

I suppose for me the total cost of ownership plays a big part....My head goes with the VW Coast as I can get it for £49k and if I decided to sell it in 12 months time (anyones situations can change at any moment) then id say i could get almost what I paid back for it..maybe £2k loss at most? And so this is the least risky.

I love the quality of the MP but the 6 months wait puts me off as foes this issue they have with their paint bubbling roof. The Nugget is my favourite layout by far, but its hard to get any reviews on it or know the residuals, which poses a risk financially on my decision. The Ocean has a good spec but is the most expensive and I believe would lose more than the Coast short term.

Decisions decisions.
If I was you I would go hire a camper, any just to make sure it’s for you before you spend that sort of cash!

As the title suggests, I'm just about to pull the trigger on our first foray into camper vanning but with so much choice and all the options having pros and cons, I'm struggling - I keep going from one to the other.

I need some help/advice/tips from those who have been in a similar situation, to help make the final decision.

Heres the rub...

1) VW Cali OCEAN
Cost - £57k

2) VW Cali Coast
Cost - £50k

Pros - Cheap with great residual, probably get back almost all the cost if sold it after a year. A classic camper at a good price.
Cons - Doesnt have the large zip out window in the pop top (but can add), manual roof (although its one less thing to go wrong), interior cloth probably not the best aesthetically or quality wise.

3) Marco Polo
Cost - £49k

Pros - Most luxurious of the 4, great quality drive and comfort, leather interior, best spec of the 4.
Cons - Table and Chairs poor location in boot, no front window in pop top, not as good residual value. 6 month waiting list.

4) Ford Nugget

Cost - £59k list (but doesn't appear on DTD or AEB so hard to know what price is possible.)

Pros - By far the best arrangement of cabin/lounge/kitchen. Hot water in kitchen
Cons - Unknown residual values, storage potentially an issue as kitchen in boot space. Not many (any) about to get user reviews on.

So there it is...can anyone add to this and maybe come up with something I've missed or advice on this....I've got my hand on the trigger to purchase one.

I suppose for me the total cost of ownership plays a big part....My head goes with the VW Coast as I can get it for £49k and if I decided to sell it in 12 months time (anyones situations can change at any moment) then id say i could get almost what I paid back for it..maybe £2k loss at most? And so this is the least risky.

I love the quality of the MP but the 6 months wait puts me off as foes this issue they have with their paint bubbling roof. The Nugget is my favourite layout by far, but its hard to get any reviews on it or know the residuals, which poses a risk financially on my decision. The Ocean has a good spec but is the most expensive and I believe would lose more than the Coast short term.

Decisions decisions.
Why not rent one to try before you buy

The Ocean is slightly longer I think by around 100mm. doesn't sound a lot but for me, it’s meant a lot.
The MP is a foot longer than the Cali, a bigger difference and the other way around.

Before I bought my almost like new Cali Ocean, I enquired on lead time at the local VW dealer. He quoted 16 weeks, which surprised me. The (non VW) dealer I bought mine from had said that he was surprised by that, having bought two Cali's in the past and waiting 6 months for them. Having enquired about other vehicles from new at other places (that would then be converted), this lead time makes sense. There are posts elsewhere on this forum where members have mentioned delays in their order too. Also, in the event of a hard Brexit, there will possibly be a rise in price and a possibly a delay in delivery too. My advice would be to go for a low mileage used one. I saw some low mileage Calis out there when looking.

Heres the rub...

1) VW Cali OCEAN
Cost - £57k

2) VW Cali Coast
Cost - £50k

3) Marco Polo
Cost - £49k

4) Ford Nugget

Decisions decisions.
Hey there.

Good questions that I've gone through and ended up with another one to all those you've mentioned. Westfalia KEPLER 1, based on the VW T6.1 Best layout, best space, good compromises from Cali (which I had before and dislike the layout)

Hey there.

Good questions that I've gone through and ended up with another one to all those you've mentioned. Westfalia KEPLER 1, based on the VW T6.1 Best layout, best space, good compromises from Cali (which I had before and dislike the layout)
We liked the look of the Westfalia Kepler 1, if we had wanted a kitchen/wardrobe it would have definitely been a contender. Be good to see some photos :)

I have just sold my early T6 ocean and ordered an nugget.

I sold the Cali because-

-Roof rot was growing quick and the dealer said it wouldn’t rot as it had the ‘fix’

-I found the engine re calibration for the emissions recall crude (I’ve worked in diesel engine calibration)

-a couple of other issues that they wouldn’t fix at the end of warranty where still apparent, (door seal rust etc) the one seal they had changed meant my seatbelt height now longer adjusted.

-got a great cash sale price at a dealer

My experience with some Dealers & VW finance didn’t encourage me to spend more on a T6.1

I have gone for a nugget as

-I want a manual

-transit is a better drive, seat position, turning circle, transmission etc

-wesfallia are not new to campers or transits

-some of the dealers want to assert themselves as good camper dealers

-they are doing good discounts and 0% finance

-looking forward to trying the ‘Junior motor home’ layout

True...in an ideal world...but at the moment a 12 month old one is pretty much the same as new, so its a no brainer to buy new. I mean, even 5 year old ones are going for £45k so for me personally I see the value in new.

But yes, if I could get a 12 month old one for £5k less than new then yes, id do that. But 2nd hand values are crazy at the moment which is why I'm buying new.

We normally go to America a couple of times a year which costs £3k plus each time, so with covid stopping that we will be no worse financially getting a camper and potentially selling when covid is done and in the meantime do some touring in the camper and add a new life experience.
Hi Thepuma, had all the same conversations with myself and eventually took the plunge! Ordered a new Ocean last month. Once the decision is made it’s great to relax and go into sweet anticipation mode!Best of luck.

-transit is a better drive, seat position, turning circle, transmission etc

-wesfallia are not new to campers or transits
Tranny is way better to drive and the seat is more comfy than Vw.

I got a 34% discount on a Custom sport a couple of yrs ago,
my mate who is a Ford dealer couldn't answer as to why they don't
just lower the list price, he said that some customers are happy with
10 or 15%, its only greedy ba****ds like me who push it.

He could've given 2% more if i took finance out at 2.75% Lol.

If you are unsure I would hire one of each for a week and see what suits you best.
Only using them will tell you what features you will use and like more than theory. Good luck and enjoy.

Heres the rub...

1) VW Cali OCEAN
Cost - £57k

2) VW Cali Coast
Cost - £50k

3) Marco Polo
Cost - £49k

4) Ford Nugget

Decisions decisions.

Coast: switch the manual roof to a pro (lot of problems with the Ocean roof) and also the missing open frontroof window is a pro imo. Less weak points (zipper/leaking)

Had an ocean switched to coast and absolutely do not regret. (Added some ocean specs as f ex. heating and acc)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I have owned two out of your three contenders plus a Caravelle 4 motion for 4 years as a family car. I even had a 2007 MP before my current 2018 model. My views:

1. Rear kitchen in Nugget is superb. You will cook and enjoy it. Since you do not have kids on board you may not suffer terribly because of loss of boot space . Don’t underestimate how much goes behind the bench. The kitchen is much easier and pleasanter to use than in any side slung van. This is not just a reflection of standing front-on. The L shaped arrangement is just ergonomically better than being at 90 degrees. The contortions of table/ drawer and sink in a side-slung kitchenette are banished.

2. MP is undoubtedly longer than the California. There is a critical foot of extra space when pulling out the bottom bunk.

3. The bed in the MP is lightweight and designed for ventilation. It’s not as robust as a Cali top bunk but it is v comfortable and does not suffer condensation because there is no 6 ft x 4 ft board right under the foam mattress.

4. The MP is just great to drive esp 250 variant. I was genuinely surprised. I had my 2007 model. It did not drive well. My Caravelke was damned good. I did not expect the MP to be better to drive but it is. It’s lower at the front, more aerodynamic and stays pretty flat through twisty stuff. Rear wheel drive seems to suit vans.

5.So far , 2.5 yrs on and 2 yrs in the old MP neither pop top has caused any trouble. The ribbed concertina construction is tried and tested to avoid trapping canvass accidents. Westfalia were installing it before VW produced their first own brand model. It’s definitely a case of hardly ever breaking and do they have not filled with it in more than two decades.

5. The chairs ‘bag’ in the MP is silly. Mine is in a wardrobe. The table sits happily under the rear shelf. I have two Vango chairs weighing 1 kg each in lieu of the bulbous chairs in the bag. The Westfalia table is probably tougher than the VW table.

6. The rear bench in the MP is superb. There is no more comfortable passenger bench in a camper. My late teenagers enjoy 1000 mile trips in a generous, rake adjustable seat. If you have no passengers the simplicity of the VW bench is preferable.
7. Cabinetry is about equivalent. Both need much more care and cosseting than the Westfalias of the 90s and early 2000s. The nugget will ( and did in our case) withstand more hammer/ scuffs.

8. You must get the heater options right on a MP. The Cali equivalent blown air diesel heater is an option poorly understood even now by UK dealers. Do not confuse it with the auxiliary heater which is part of the car , controlled via the car system. In the used and demonstrator market virtually no one was specifying the blown air heater. This was utter folly in the UK. In the Ocean it has always been standard. Check the Westfalia control console for the heater element and confirm it is there. I am lucky to have a model which had both systems fitted. Do not think the car aux system is a substitute or variant: it is not. It will only run for a shorter period of time.

My advice is keep an open mind and try them. I was rather fixated on an Ocean 4 motion for the Alps. I am pleased I opened my eyes and at least tried the MP. I have had many vans over 20 years as my kids have grown . This is , by a furlong, the best driving experience and we do not hesitate to use it for all manner of shorter everyday journeys.

My view, having for the second time just done the round of camper and MH suppliers and who three years ago fell in love with the MP and fell out of love again:

The MP. Hopelessly fussy in the downstairs bed area and almost everyone I have known or read about having one have had disrupted nights sleep due to inability to getting the bed level. All those glossy, shiny surfaces in the habitation area would drive me nuts. It loses out on having a much more "luxury car" feel in the front as there's nowhere to put anything and the bit I love about the Cali is there's always a nook and cranny somewhere to stow something away. The table and chairs arrangement is a dogs dinner, the dealer knowledge even worse than VW and an almost non-existent community to get ideas and support from.

The Nugget: Please find me one that I can sit in and test drive. It is a camper, nothing else, you can't convert it into a van and stuff it full of stuff like you can the Cali. No community, no history of resale values, almost non-existent presence, buying a pig in a poke.

A Cali. It's a Cali. Does all those things that I wish the others would plus a community of nearly 20,000 members to get tons of support from plus a track record of multiple usage going back decades. You know what you are getting and what it does and with the limitation of size it does it very well indeed.
I was looking at a Nugget, Cali and Widax Pulsar. I have so far concluded that the Cali is by far the most versatile which means you can use it for many activities and get the full value from it. Day trips to the beach, camping, wild camping and even trips to the tip or moving stuff around. What you don’t want to do is buy something at huge expense which you will only use a couple of time a year. There is always a reason to use a Cali.

I was looking at a Nugget, Cali and Widax Pulsar. I have so far concluded that the Cali is by far the most versatile which means you can use it for many activities and get the full value from it. Day trips to the beach, camping, wild camping and even trips to the tip or moving stuff around. What you don’t want to do is buy something at huge expense which you will only use a couple of time a year. There is always a reason to use a Cali.

:)

4 hours ago there was something straight out of an Ealing comedy movie.

I'm replacing the carpet in my dining room. A friend wanted what was already there. Friend and Royal Marine son turn up. He ends up with a roll of carpet over his shoulder about twice the length of the Cali.

No problem. Back seat fully forward, bed flat, roll bent in half, carpet shoved in the back with true bootneck finesse, and son and carpet delivered with him sitting in passenger seat with a roll of carpet pressed against his ear.

Amazing the versatility of a Cali. Today a removal van, Three days time it is my palace on wheels and luxury bedroom for a week.

That's good to know. We let our 9-yr old choose the colour and he went cherry red. I hope I feel the same as you when it arrives!
I would spec Cherry Red now White is an extra, wonder what VW will think of next to squeeze another few hundred quid out of us.

Hi Thepuma,

I had a similar conundrum and had spent entirely too much time trying to decide, so maybe I can help a little... For what it’s worth, I’ve bought a Marco Polo, but I’ve rented both the Ocean and the Beach several times (prior to and also alongside the MP - for an extended family trip).

My general conclusion is that my attitude and willingness to „get over” the tiny annoyances was weighing much more on my satisfaction than any differences between the vehicles. Months after buying the MP I was still discovering new „pros” and „cons” compared to the VWs - all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things - you find solutions as you live with the vehicle and learn to enjoy what it offers. Examples of the pros of the MP and solutions to the cons:

- placement of chairs in the MP - I’ve removed the trunk tray for chairs and replaced them with more comfortable Decathlon chairs that fold into a 1m tube shape - take very little space (laterally behind / below the rear bench), trunk is now fully usable; you can also place the original Merc chairs vertically behind the reach bench (there is a 15cm foldable segment of the rear bed/shelf that can be unzipped and removed or folded back, creating a very useful space to transport taller items vertically behind the rear seats)

- „better drive” of the MP vs Cali - I’ve driven both and they’re both very comfortable on long drives, tiny difference in refinement in favour of the MP, but not really noticeable once you drive instead of comparing

- MP being luxurious is mentioned both as an advantage and a disadvantage - I find it’s mostly a matter of taste (it can go a little against the „camping” geist), and things like leather, smooth „glossy” surfaces are very useable (easy to wipe) as well as cosy; ambient lighting is really great and gives a really nice feel; but there are some cons - the nice soft close kitchen drawers can collide with the unfolded bed, nice „yacht” floor is resistant and easy to wipe, but floor rails need rubber inserts to keep dirt away (original accessory)

- rear side window in MP can be opened/tilted - super useful as additional ventilation when sleeping downstairs, less fussy than various acccessories allowing to lock the hatch slightly open; Cali feels more like a „closed can” in comparison, using it in the summer I felt like the additional opening window in the RHS sliding door is a must and ventilation while sleeping downstairs is not optimal - and popping the roof up is not always convenient, especially when trying to be discrete

- reach hatch window in MP can be opened independently - a real bonus for views, another ventilation option, rear access

- new MPs (2020+) do have the front window option in the pop top

- MP residual values are excellent and in line with VW in Germany (that’s where I bought mine) - don’t know UK market prices

- you can have a 4WD MP with 5th seat (this was my main need when buying); the 4WD is permanent - tried and tested in the backroads of Norwegian mountains - really useful

- the 5th seat is very useable without adjusting anything - the cabin has visibly more space inside than the Cali, also nice if you travel with a dog

- the electric rear bench in the MP seems like a fuss, but easy to get used to and works well, also has a side benefit of having 2 independently adjustable backrests

- the real con I found with the MP is the lack of the third battery (second leisure battery) when wild camping for more than 2-3 days - Ocean (but not Beach) is better in that respect; not a deal breaker as a short drive tops up the battery quickly; a solar panel could also be a partial solution

- a useful option on VWs not available on the MP - heated windscreen - turned out to be a real life saver in winter in Norway, during a long trip with a heavy melting-freezing snowfall

- real surpise: my 4WD 190hp MP needed visibly less fuel than a 150hp 2WD Beach when we drove both side-by-side on a long trip, both packed and driven comparably

All in all, I find both VWs and Mercs are excellent vehicles and campers. I could easily live with both. The Merc service is better than VWs where I live, although hard to find real experts with campervans - same seems to hold true elsewhere judging by the forums. I don’t have any experience with the Nugget. MPs get criticised for their visual „bling” and lack of „camping practicality” and I have initially struggled with the luxury image as well, but have now spent many weeks camping with the MP - both on campings and wild camping, in four seasons - and it’s not only usable, it’s really functional and easy to live with. Both have pros and cons, but I would focus on things you must have (it was the 5th seat and 4wd for me) and choose the one that fits the „must haves” best. Then simply accept the rest and enjoy :)

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your choice - and happy camping!
JB

This is a light hearted post but has grains of truth in it. Some of it I've posted before.

The Cali / Marco Polo / Nugget each have discrete images. If you are confident in your self image and know what details will work for you, then great (I drove around in a T4 Smurf 'Ice Cream' van for a while).

The Cali makes you look like you're just returning from scaling Ben Nevis even if you've just nipped to Tesco. Don the obligatory down jacket for extra effect.

In the MP, people will assume you've been collected from the airport from a trip to Dubai, popping in at Selfridges en-route. I did have a different explanation involving wife swapping....
Although this is harsh, it feels particularly true in the UK where it is a shiny newcomer without the camping heritage of VW's.

The Nugget looks like you can't afford either a Cali or a MP. This is massively unfair and if I was buying today, I'd get a High top Nugget, as I don't care about image.

First choice California, Second Ford Nugget. MP would be a non starter for me. The exterior of the Vitto makes for a nice looking people carrier but not a Camper Van. The roof line looks weird if an awning is fitted. The "hearing aid" beige interior IMO seems to be suited for the more mature owners.

Heres the rub...

1) VW Cali OCEAN
Cost - £57k

2) VW Cali Coast
Cost - £50k

3) Marco Polo
Cost - £49k

4) Ford Nugget

Decisions decisions.

I have a quote for a nugget. It is 63k for the 185 auto. Issues is manual aircon is 1000. Satnav is 1000 and xenon is 1000. So total is 66k. Way more than the ocean.