Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping power to stereo with ignition off

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the wiring (easily) so the stereo can be used when parked up without the ignition being on?
Cheers

Mine works, switches itself off automatically after 30 mins or so as well - got factory Sat Nav but not sure that would account for it?

Is yours the VW stereo?

No, mine is aftermarket. Ignition has to be on for it to work. Must admit never tried with the old RCD310 so not sure how it performed.

Most modern stereos are powered all of the time. However the car tells the stereo to turn off after a few minutes.

This will be true for all VW stereos and I suspect most integrated stereos (ones that work with the steering wheel or dashboard display).

You can get little black boxes which block the signal to turn it off, however the feature is there to protect the engine battery.

Some people have rewired their stereos to work off the leisure battery, but you will still need to block the turn off signal.

If you stereo is not integrated to the other vehicle electronics then it may be a simple setting in a menu somewhere.

I have a Kenwood Dab which switches itself off (sterio) after half hour then comes on again on its own after a short period if left
The unit works with one notch up on the ignition setting, so I'm presuming my ignition isn't classed as being on if the red display light isn't showing !!

Back