Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen Strip Light ‘ON Constantly - STILL not resolved

Kirx

Kirx

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I did post this problem here before I sought help from dealer, and I repost now as I’m still having the same problem with the kitchen strip light not switching off completely, and it’s been back to the dealership for repairs 3 times now!

It’s a Cali Ocean 19, purchased last Sept, and I might add my dealers have been really good and I don’t have an issue with them, BUT they don’t seem to know how to correct this problem.

The last time the van was in, they changed the leisure battery and said that this was ‘faulty’ and this ‘may’ be the cause of the light issue, it did work for a short while, but by the evening the light was back on again.

Now, in ‘lockdown’ I’m not using the van for work trips and the constant light on is draining the battery, it was below 50% today and I had to run the engine to get some charge back in.

Has anyone had the same issue and managed to get it solved please, if so, could you let me know, so I can pass on to the dealership next time it goes back in.

I realise this is a minor issue, but it’s frustrating now and at such an expensive purchase, I would like the van to be running how it’s supposed to.

Kind regards,
Kirstie

I did post this problem here before I sought help from dealer, and I repost now as I’m still having the same problem with the kitchen strip light not switching off completely, and it’s been back to the dealership for repairs 3 times now!

It’s a Cali Ocean 19, purchased last Sept, and I might add my dealers have been really good and I don’t have an issue with them, BUT they don’t seem to know how to correct this problem.

The last time the van was in, they changed the leisure battery and said that this was ‘faulty’ and this ‘may’ be the cause of the light issue, it did work for a short while, but by the evening the light was back on again.

Now, in ‘lockdown’ I’m not using the van for work trips and the constant light on is draining the battery, it was below 50% today and I had to run the engine to get some charge back in.

Has anyone had the same issue and managed to get it solved please, if so, could you let me know, so I can pass on to the dealership next time it goes back in.

I realise this is a minor issue, but it’s frustrating now and at such an expensive purchase, I would like the van to be running how it’s supposed to.

Kind regards,
Kirstie
Mine was being temperamental, and they changed a relay under the fridge, it worked for a while but now won’t change modes.
i would find and remove the fuse until you can get it fixed properly.

Mine was being temperamental, and they changed a relay under the fridge, it worked for a while but now won’t change modes.
i would find and remove the fuse until you can get it fixed properly.
Thank you for your reply. It you get yours fixed properly?

The thing is I’m not that hopeful it will be fixed properly, it’s been in for repairs 3 times already. I’ve no idea where the fuse it located, under the passenger seat , I believe, but that is as far as I could say, but thank you anyway.

Thank you for your reply. It you get yours fixed properly?

The thing is I’m not that hopeful it will be fixed properly, it’s been in for repairs 3 times already. I’ve no idea where the fuse it located, under the passenger seat , I believe, but that is as far as I could say, but thank you anyway.
It seems to be a complex system linked to a control unit, which has inputs from the door and cabin lights. It’s seems to be tricky for them to fault find. VWGuru talked about the wiring being incorrect on some vans, it may just be a faulty control unit. You could try VWBreeze as I think they have fixed these before, although the Guru has moved on.

It seems to be a complex system linked to a control unit, which has inputs from the door and cabin lights. It’s seems to be tricky for them to fault find. VWGuru talked about the wiring being incorrect on some vans, it may just be a faulty control unit. You could try VWBreeze as I think they have fixed these before, although the Guru has moved on.
I think there are wiring diagrams in the VIP download area. I’m not sure though. If not, @Loz is good at identifying fuse locations.

Thanks, it’s been in VW Breeze 3 times, I think they are doing their best! Thanks anyway

I think there are wiring diagrams in the VIP download area. I’m not sure though. If not, @Loz is good at identifying fuse locations.

Thank you, I’ll have a look, but it’s tricky getting your hand under the seat, to remove the blasted thing, I had to remove the ‘tap’ fuse previously, due to there being a fault here too!
Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

My van had a similar problem the strip light would occasionally come on when driving. Breeze at Poole had difficulty trying to get the fault to happen as it was intermittent. They did manage to get it to fault and made a repair to the wiring. We got the van back just before the lockdown so haven’t been able to test it properly but on the short journeys we have had to make for essential shopping it has not faulted. I guess time will tell on this but have to say that breeze were really good picking up the van and dropping it off and keeping us informed all the way through the job

As I understand it, there is a factory wiring fault that ends up as the unit being supplied power from both the vehicle side (rear boot light circuit) and the leisure side.

Try removing the fuse for the rear interior light so that the boot light (under the bed) no longer works.
1585761572855.png

My van had a similar problem the strip light would occasionally come on when driving. Breeze at Poole had difficulty trying to get the fault to happen as it was intermittent. They did manage to get it to fault and made a repair to the wiring. We got the van back just before the lockdown so haven’t been able to test it properly but on the short journeys we have had to make for essential shopping it has not faulted. I guess time will tell on this but have to say that breeze were really good picking up the van and dropping it off and keeping us informed all the way through the job
I have no issues with Breeze, but mine’s been with them 3 times over the past 3 months and still no solution. I think yours was in at the same time as mine, fingers crossed yours is fixed now. Thank you for replying to my post.

I have no issues with Breeze, but mine’s been with them 3 times over the past 3 months and still no solution. I think yours was in at the same time as mine, fingers crossed yours is fixed now. Thank you for replying to my post.
I hope you manage to get it fixed soon it’s one of those really annoying faults. I’d be really interested to find out what was causing your fault

My kitchen LED strip light failed once before and was pulsating randomly, this was fixed in Hereford by changing a relay somewhere, and was ok for a few months. It stopped working in camping mode a while ago.
Took it to Breeze Poole for a service and to fix this, booked in for 3 days. Was told they ordered a replacement light when I collected it. I questioned the fault diagnosis as it works fine in during mode, and was assured that lots of diagnostic work had been done.
Took it back down there to have the new light fitted, told it didn’t rectify the problem, fault still there.
I was then able to speak to the tech who had not originally been told that the light worked in driving mode, did not know the cabin switch needed to be turned central or on, to activate the kitchen light in driving mode. It was clear that during the 3 days they had the van they had simply tried turning it on and concluded it didn’t work. as the cabin rocker switch was off. I spent 2 nights in a hotel for this.
It was also pretty clear from the discussion they had little knowledge of how to diagnose and fix the fault, so I am reluctant to waste any more time taking it to them again, for them to diagnose, order the part, then possibly rectify, or not.
For the labour rates VW charge, the technical product training, and communication between the customer facing people and the people doing the work needs to be better. They were open and apologetic, but still, it’s a waste of my time and money.

As I understand it, there is a factory wiring fault that ends up as the unit being supplied power from both the vehicle side (rear boot light circuit) and the leisure side.

Try removing the fuse for the rear interior light so that the boot light (under the bed) no longer works.
View attachment 56840
Thanks so much for this Loz. Unfortunately though I have just removed SC19 and whilst the boot light went out as expected, I still have a pulsing kitchen light :-( I then tried removing SC20 but all the interior lights kept working, very odd. I have a T6 California Ocean from 2020 btw.
Time to contact the dealer I fear but any other ideas would be very welcome.

My kitchen LED strip light failed once before and was pulsating randomly, this was fixed in Hereford by changing a relay somewhere, and was ok for a few months. It stopped working in camping mode a while ago.
Took it to Breeze Poole for a service and to fix this, booked in for 3 days. Was told they ordered a replacement light when I collected it. I questioned the fault diagnosis as it works fine in during mode, and was assured that lots of diagnostic work had been done.
Took it back down there to have the new light fitted, told it didn’t rectify the problem, fault still there.
I was then able to speak to the tech who had not originally been told that the light worked in driving mode, did not know the cabin switch needed to be turned central or on, to activate the kitchen light in driving mode. It was clear that during the 3 days they had the van they had simply tried turning it on and concluded it didn’t work. as the cabin rocker switch was off. I spent 2 nights in a hotel for this.
It was also pretty clear from the discussion they had little knowledge of how to diagnose and fix the fault, so I am reluctant to waste any more time taking it to them again, for them to diagnose, order the part, then possibly rectify, or not.
For the labour rates VW charge, the technical product training, and communication between the customer facing people and the people doing the work needs to be better. They were open and apologetic, but still, it’s a waste of my time and money.
I have this pulsing kitchen light issue :-( I don't suppose you have any further insights since your post on ways to fix this do you?

I have this pulsing kitchen light issue :-( I don't suppose you have any further insights since your post on ways to fix this do you?
I think it has a connector on a short lead at one end of the strip light. You could try and find it and unplug it. Life is too short to hope that any of the dealers know what they are doing.

Thanks so much for this Loz. Unfortunately though I have just removed SC19 and whilst the boot light went out as expected, I still have a pulsing kitchen light :-( I then tried removing SC20 but all the interior lights kept working, very odd. I have a T6 California Ocean from 2020 btw.
Time to contact the dealer I fear but any other ideas would be very welcome.
Is yours a 6.1? as the control of the lights under the kitchen is now handled by the new special vehicle control unit.

There are fuses you can pull to reset this control panel.
in the panel under the headlight switch SC5,6,7,8 (all 25A) can be removed at the same time, to reset the control panel.
1616080170732.png

There are also some fuses under the passenger seat in fuse box SH
1616080353216.png

Is yours a 6.1? as the control of the lights under the kitchen is now handled by the new special vehicle control unit.

There are fuses you can pull to reset this control panel.
in the panel under the headlight switch SC5,6,7,8 (all 25A) can be removed at the same time, to reset the control panel.
View attachment 75292

There are also some fuses under the passenger seat in fuse box SH
View attachment 75293
Thanks Loz and apologies, I should have been clearer, by T6, I meant T6.0. I tried pulling SC5 to just turn the interior lights off but this didn't work and then, based on some perhaps odd logic, I then pulled the two other 15 amp fuses, SC49 and SC12 to see if these would turn the interior lights off, they the didn't either. During this process I managed to drop one of the fuses into the cavity of the van through the gap just under the fuse board (argh) and so now I have a gap in SC12 but the Tail lights still work!?!?

I've been using this diagram btw...

12EF8C1A-4AD4-464A-BC68-2A287C841732.png

Ours was in, they did the WV guru breeze Poole fix, still has not resolved it, what I find strange is this is not been elevated to a central VW tech fix that’s sent out to all the dealers, unless they know there is no solution ? There seem to be enough of us reporting this that they must know about this

Thanks Loz and apologies, I should have been clearer, by T6, I meant T6.0. I tried pulling SC5 to just turn the interior lights off but this didn't work and then, based on some perhaps odd logic, I then pulled the two other 15 amp fuses, SC49 and SC12 to see if these would turn the interior lights off, they the didn't either. During this process I managed to drop one of the fuses into the cavity of the van through the gap just under the fuse board (argh) and so now I have a gap in SC12 but the Tail lights still work!?!?

I've been using this diagram btw...

View attachment 75300
I'll go back over the T6 camper wiring and come back to you.

@Disco the first version of the kitchenette lights are independent of the interior lights and therefore simply a control relay in the kitchen unit itself and supplied by a 30A fuse under the passenger seat. Pulling that fuse should reset the control relay.
1616229568509.png1616229600142.png

Thanks so much for this Loz. I have tried pulling all the 30A fuses under the passenger seat but this hasn't enabled me to turn the light off sadly, i.e it didn't reset the light switch to work as it should. I have now found the 10A fuse, again under the passenger seat which cut power to the kitchenette light which is great as at least I can now turn it off!

The issue did also intermittently resolve itself after a short drive in the van, which was great as I could then turn the light back to regular mode where it doesn't come on when the side door opens. This only lasted about 24 hours though before I noticed the light had gone back to the slow pulsing between dim and bright!

Thanks so much for all your help on this but I fear I might need to call the dealer and ask for a full investigation/resolution.

Just as an update for anyone interested. I left the fuse for the kitchenette light out for about a month and put it back in after we’d returned from a trip away in the van. Since then, about 6 weeks on, I haven’t had the issue with the kitchenette light occur again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk