Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Land Rovers

Iron Van

Iron Van

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
A few people have mentioned Land Rovers recently, I thought that it would be fun to see how many ex and current owners are now Cali owners. I started driving lightweights, 3/4 ton and 1 tonnes, but the ones that I have owned are:

Series 3
Puma 90
Disco 4
RRS
Puma 110

And now my Cali

I'd say I'm a wanna-be Landie owner here... Always had the dream of owning a leightweight when I started driving, but now I have the Cali which was another dream... :bananadance2

As mentioned in the other topic - my Calis come and go but I can never imagine being without a Landy. :) Some of the ones we've had pictured:

landies1.jpg

landies2.jpg

Disco and Cali owner here......been saying for a year now that I'm going to sell the Disco, but never feels like quite the right time...:)

Maybe me, but is a Range Rover or Discovery really a Land Rover?

Series 3 SWB Air Portable
Series 3 LWB Ambulance
Series 2 LWB Estate
Series 3 110 Safari Estate
Puma 90

Series 3 LWB Ambulance
Series 2 LWB Estate
Puma 90

IMHO 300tdi and previous yes - certainly the 'Classic' Range Rover (ie pre P38) and the 200/300tdi Discos which were basically classic Range Rovers underneath.

I must say I love Defenders and they are the 'proper' Landy of course but after our 110 CSW (pic above) was stolen I bought the same age (and engine), 1998 300Tdi Disco above for about 1/10 the cost of the equivalent 110 CSW! Such is the demand for Defenders (and the terminal rot sadly in old Discos).

But apart from our ex-MoD Ninety with the good old 2.5 NA engine (all 65 odd BHP) which was unstoppable off road the old Disco is immensely capable but still enough of an old battered and scratched to hell warhorse to not care.

As for modern stuff - Freelanders, Disco III onwards, all modern Range Rovers etc - then pah! :rolleyes:

@capt_steve ,
On a forum there's no me or you ....a forum goes about we and us ....a community of people .

I have whittled my Land Rovers down to just one now, a Defender 300TDI Tipper for use around home averaged 800 miles between MoT's in the last five years.

IMG_0801.JPG

Caught the LR bug many many years ago and since built a business selling LR parts online.

Love my Cali it's a dream to drive and no longer need our Discovery 4 so it's been sold. I now have an excuse to get a new toy and this has recently been passed by the boss, so now on the hunt for a 911.

Series 2 swb petrol, a whole new perspective on suspension!

x_SQUmGTwsoa0VTmA5wU1Mdyz47D_vDLYbGbZ_q1xMupSemqBY6iEemckGHVSkGeM0Esl7iPgbyZPvX-WCJqVgSSfkjW4YTBX2BxxSovOD11fE8EcGwmEiMJbEtwXgji_4aDZ0PI-MbyiV48BWk76Y5C5ulhEO8fXJoi7IBf2_i0-Mwss-Ke82Clv2cKRoetNy03Gjsu1MQLaMGVnT0PNnKCY_AIQWB6_SSJr5xTW90ZX8qNDAldQwaDjDy59WzN8sCIS550zSNCYBmfZ-hxkmvUGAJShQtBTVshhLFyJ3dFofdJt06c9jC_kFeo63G3TjC1ePoEGkyx17hFQ73Mo384cShizFXlox_wNEkBCgwaM5NselfO9A2Coj-dSDMdju3LgpEuIch7gWCVv7zusj9pG_JLPPMyutZNgTkyFEqMcybexO2ubx7dko7CrwAy9TMmO_O2NKIaEtzV14L7v5mq1T0XUsBiN_gIrKtCmWWj5-l5wKN64_h7iThVmNeHZRDDrZu2Ky362BwcuQepJUnLmESNSwg0H-U6k4sWnDVj_nbsi7uVJQChsljgVAQvOweetPEiHgPAJLEhXiOrKK4F0yBIaSNBHrzn-70h=w1484-h989-no

H82ZZekYq0z3-sgSrQTbzh7gFziGbYRcA653G0PfuKCxdZebyvG0C--uA-rGUNtmEHIaVTL91PlEOp-MqHfs6coorBfQuqA7ON-5n_cM2weHZgzrZzzTNdmw_2o-ox1JDFkMzsskd1Whxx8y-RCgyfKhjSdnRHaBLe3t_QBdqHDYnGWKGQWXOg06k9TIDBA0OkIoVy6J4BE7cG7NnwvuK4_JidcGoD4BsK9MWMc65Bbt_UMRpAGaTLMuMOYYbSaqxdnakgwelQbdOO0VLSv9OiGxFNCDtqbYNCW2yr6fXVQqCenLU-efdnQo2ohPyVaqlhchoDyzXeL22SBX8MAfX-WF-1Cy6MCKL7yc4Qu9kivTpKUIllnGhm9ADjT9SLMStY8fL1ZwDbJCJQBD6eJhRQC4dqgpwr2Z7TJfIEkzGjgilH85qPUfb9n6y9dkVd8AnrClva-egYA7xP8ztscqBahg49n8hNVD-O-S8Tspx8RH-5-kByr_Ufvd2eZMB3CUSACfmy3EoKUZLSrHLbKcuY8cjcO3ZLHPeM-MGqdOSFDgOz2gbM0UVK3OyiWZjwYd8fJb_P8O1AiSd-Lw-8Z1YpM8iXMnUJQgdIXRf1AM=w1484-h989-no

Disco 3 can be a proper one - the looks I got at events when it was under a year old :) much more fun that a FL2 - might have to get another as I still think it looks better than the current or previous models

For years I had a love of land rovers must come from my days in the army. My list starts with series 1 109, stage 1, 110v8, lightweight, range rover which I hated, disco mk1 press car which I still own, 90 with bmw engine, 110 300tdi, 110 puma engine and a 88 with v8 which I still have. F

DSCN1887.jpg P1000562.JPG Well, whether or not it's a "proper" Land Rover or not, here's my Discovery. Still going strong after 14 years. Good for people carrying; good for towing; good for camping trips; good for messing about on the farm.

If the Cali, still going strong after 6 months, is half as good, I'll be happy.

Series 3 LWB Ambulance
Series 2 LWB Estate
Puma 90

Interesting thought, but does having a reversing camera, parking sensors, DSG or any other luxuries make today's vehicle any less than the original VW Camper? I'd say not....it's just a case of using the technology advancements that gets developed over the years.

Maybe the original is more 'pure', whatever that means, but it doesn't mean a modern day Cali, or the Disco / Range Rover is not a great vehicle. They won't have the 'character' like the old ones, but I'd still prefer to have a Cali without the roof issue, rather than one with character that does.

My passion for landrovers is on par with campers.
It’s an outdoors thing!

Interesting thought, but does having a reversing camera, parking sensors, DSG or any other luxuries make today's vehicle any less than the original VW Camper? I'd say not....it's just a case of using the technology advancements that gets developed over the years.

Maybe the original is more 'pure', whatever that means, but it doesn't mean a modern day Cali, or the Disco / Range Rover is not a great vehicle. They won't have the 'character' like the old ones, but I'd still prefer to have a Cali without the roof issue, rather than one with character that does.
I have whittled my Land Rovers down to just one now, a Defender 300TDI Tipper for use around home averaged 800 miles between MoT's in the last five years.

View attachment 29417

Caught the LR bug many many years ago and since built a business selling LR parts online.

Love my Cali it's a dream to drive and no longer need our Discovery 4 so it's been sold. I now have an excuse to get a new toy and this has recently been passed by the boss, so now on the hunt for a 911.
Really what’s the name of your parts company??
I bet I have bought a few bits off you over the years

IMG_0703.jpg Need one for the Cali too, for when people ask ´is there a bed in there´.

P7230075.jpg PA080014_2_2.jpg
Here's two of mine, but gone now.... the 90 went years ago, the Lightweight I rebuilt on a Galv chassis, but had to go last year ;-(...

Also had
90 v8 wish I’d kept that
Freelander 1 and Freelander 2
Discovery series 1

Last edited:
Had an ex army series 3 for about 7 years, now got an ex-environment agency 110 defende (1993)

Ok, here we go. 4 cylinder petrol. Now waiting for an Ocean TSI DSG. And I sincerely hope that I will spend more time in the Ocean than under the Land - but it was a lot of fun;)
IMG_0032.jpg

I feel so left out. On my third year of RR ownership and waiting for an opportunity to need its special skills and then along comes a thread where I think I bought the wrong Land Rover. So alone.