Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Larger tyres 235/65 R17

View attachment 40453

Hi Bus And Beyond . Thanks very much for your help . Just fitted 225/65/17 Bf Goodrich K02 . Very pleased much softer ride at front especially on pot holes and speed humps . Noise increase minimal and getting 33 mpg around town at 50 psi . Hard to say but I think about 2/3 mpg drop from 235 Vectors . Not tested in mud / snow yet but don’t think l need to worry as have had several Landrovers and Landcruiser Amazon with them over last 20 years probably done over 100k Miles in different vehicles / conditions . Don’t remember ever wearing them out !
The diameter of the 225/65R17 tyre is 724 mm vs the original 235/55R17 of 691mm. The larger tyre would improve the ride comfort. It also change the overall gearing which should improve the fuel consumption. Ground clearance also increases by 17mm. The speedometer will also under-read slightly,
but as long as one is aware of this, it should not be a problem

The diameter of the 225/65R17 tyre is 724 mm vs the original 235/55R17 of 691mm. The larger tyre would improve the ride comfort. It also change the overall gearing which should improve the fuel consumption. Ground clearance also increases by 17mm. The speedometer will also under-read slightly,

Yes thanks Calimarie this is what I was trying to achieve thanks .As the tyres wear things will revert slowly to original but hoping this will take a while ! Ride is definitely much better especially front and nice to have a bit more ground clearance . Unbeatable in snow and mud . I have a set of Goodyear Vectors so may fit them in the summer .

Do the BFG affect insurance...?
Can’t imagine they would be to happy with insuring you at the same rate when these tyres have poor performance in wet conditions...?
Which we have a lot of here in the UK.

soulsyledevon . Just wondering if you’ve ever driven with bfg At ? I wouldn’t have fitted these tyres if I didn’t you know how good they are . I’ve driven at least 125k miles on BfGoodrich At over last 20 years fitted to Range Rover Classic ,110 V8 and 3 tdi’s / td5 x2 and Landcruiser Amazon Vx 4.2 diesel auto . Have driven in all kinds of condions from mud,snow,sheet ice on /off road / towing and many thousands of motorway miles ( including torrential rain ) at the legal
limit , and never had an issue . They are unstoppable ( oh and no aquaplaning which is more than can be said about a lot of makes ) .

I have also driven thousands of miles on BFG's and yes they are my go-to indestructible tyre, it's the noise that does it for me though, although since 2012 they have come out with softer compound to "comply" with the EU tyre regulations. My mate who has them on his overlanders says he is only getting half the distance out of them these days.
Here are the monsters I had on my Troopie.
landcruiser.jpg

soulsyledevon . Just wondering if you’ve ever driven with bfg At ? I wouldn’t have fitted these tyres if I didn’t you know how good they are . I’ve driven at least 125k miles on BfGoodrich At over last 20 years fitted to Range Rover Classic ,110 V8 and 3 tdi’s / td5 x2 and Landcruiser Amazon Vx 4.2 diesel auto . Have driven in all kinds of condions from mud,snow,sheet ice on /off road / towing and many thousands of motorway miles ( including torrential rain ) at the legal
limit , and never had an issue . They are unstoppable ( oh and no aquaplaning which is more than can be said about a lot of makes ) .

Why on earth would I fit these to a transporter...???
Let’s be honest. BfG ATs might be great in a muddy field, but are probably some of the worst performing tyres on wet concrete.

Why on earth would I fit these to a transporter...???
Let’s be honest. BfG ATs might be great in a muddy field, but are probably some of the worst performing tyres on wet concrete.

Soulstyledevon .You don’t camp then ? Camping / muddy fields ? You’ve clearly never driven on bfgoodrich so let’s leave it at that . We all should drive within the capability of the vehicle ( including braking ) .

For summer we’ve got Goodyear Vector . These are good all round and in snow but not as good as the Dunlop Winter Sports I have just taken off . We’ve just been to Nordkapp on 2 month 7000 ml trip . Wish we’d had bfg then and not just winter tyres . The locals all had studded winter tyres after 3rd week of September and said we shouldn’t go out after dark with normal winter tyres . Might go back to Norway next year or possibly Iceland .

Ive had VW vans for nearly 20 years.
Never got stuck yet...? Close shave one year in the alps.
You wouldn't fit these tyres living in the UK, they don't make sense is all I'm saying. Much better suited tyres for the job and conditions.

However for the O/P, maybe. Considering the terrain he's going to tackle.

Ive had VW vans for nearly 20 years.
Never got stuck yet...? Close shave one year in the alps.
You wouldn't fit these tyres living in the UK, they don't make sense is all I'm saying. Much better suited tyres for the job and conditions.

However for the O/P, maybe. Considering the terrain he's going to tackle.

soulstyledevon I took my Wesfalia T2 auto to Austria Sol in Feb 1977 on summer tyres ! Bought chains at a petrol station in Austria and used them a lot ( on the rear wheels ) . It was quite exciting ! And we camped without a heater ! Don’t know how lucky we are these days . Thanks for your input soulstyledevon. I hear what you say . Have a great 2019 .

Last edited:
Increasing the gearing by tyre size doesn't always result in reduced fuel consumption due to the engine having the same loads to pull but at lower revs. Needing slightly more throttle opening to maintain the same speed. Similar to trying to ride a bike in too high a gear.

My winter tyres are worn out (Nokian winter tires) so I am considering these tires on my steelies for the winter.
Mostly for a better look of the van :)

The 2018 Cali has 235/55 R17 tyres fitted as OE and the spare wheel fits in the well. The outer diameter is 690mm. The 235/65 R17 OD is 737mm and has to be deflated to fit in the spare wheel well. It is therefore necessary to travel with a small tyre compressor or foot pump to inflate it when needed as a spare wheel.
Hi Calimarie
How much did you have to deflate the BFGoodrich to fit into the spare holder ? Haven’t had spare since fitting but thinking about it now . Many thanks

Would fit BFG AT to my T4 if I could but not allowed in many countries as only size available 215/75-15 would exceed the max % increase of rolling rad, tyre shop refuse to fit.

As to year round use there no issues on grip

Back