Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking Canvas

Cloudbreak

Cloudbreak

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
First outing/sleep out in our 6 month old T6. Heavy rain and wind resulting in the 'upstairs' topper mattress and quilt getting quite wet on the side facing the wind and seemingly running down the inside to the bead that attaches to the gutter. Understand that touching the inside of the fabric may cause some penetration but how do you stop anything touching the inside during a nights sleep? I've slept out in my 20 year old mountain tent in far worse condition and never got wet and that didn't cost 60k! With its age I can't imagine its a proofing issue so either 'to be expected' or some form of warranty issue.

Advice on action would be appreciated and typical dealers response to 'my fabrics leaking'

In heavy rain in combination with wind water can get in thru the canvas .
Imo . Normal .
If you do a search on the forum you will see you are not the first to mention this.

EDIT: before reactions come....
If i say normal i mean a common issue on a Cali ,
If it's ok to have water ingress on a brand new canvas ....thats another thing;)

Last edited:
Thats disappointing...
I'm not going to be much help except to say 2 things.
1) You aren't the first so perhaps a search may reveal more but the material had changed in recent years and the older style was said to improve (which I realise sounds a bit odd). As for the newer material I don't know.
2) Dealers response I would imagine would be to say its not 100% waterproof by design but having said that they allegedly test the water resistance during assembly (seen a video somewhere of them doing this). So replicating that test would be the standard to go by, any less would be a cop out. On the other hand, perhaps you won't get much argument at 6 months old for a replacement?

Is it the first time it has got wet? I remember on our T5.1 being advised to get the canvas wet as it expands the fibres & once it had been properly soaked it became more waterproof next time. Not sure though if the fabric is the same T5.1 - T6

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: Sad
First time out in heavy Rain but more the issue of how you stop touching sides, perhaps as I had added a topper this increased the risk but still surprised. Will do some controlled test with a spray to see if there are obvious areas on the side panel.
Thanks for thoughts and advice as always.

Picnic lunch in the New Forest today in heavy persistent rain. We popped open the roof. After about two hours water came gushing down onto the bench seat from a sodden canvass.

There was extra weight on the roof from roofbars and a tandem carrier, and the roof was sagging slightly causing creasing in the canvass were water pooled.

Pushing the roof up further eliminated the sagging, but once I stopped pushing up the roof it went back to sagging slightly.

Back