Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

leaking pop top

I thought they had a good soaking during the build - I'm sure I've photos of this.
I think that is more done to look for holes/imperfections than a prolonged soaking to really wet the canvas through to cure it. The T6 has a different material.

The final stage at the factory was a wet bay where the vans get a really good soaking with the roof up and a bloke sits inside with a torch checking for leaks. The amount of water was immense and at high pressure from every angle. Fibres should have swelled after that so warranty claim I would have thought.
Hmmm, do they really do this on every Cali? I'd have thought it was a percentage only. Say 1 in 30 for example.

They only make a small number a day, 18 if I remember correctly so every one gets checked.

Been camping for over 100 nights on a T6. Around 15-20% under the rain. 2 times we got water inside.
The last time pretty noticeable.
When it starts soaking it will get inside fast and easy.
We have a topper but didn't mess with it a single time.
Drying the tent isn't that hard. We put a tube from the heater upstairs and put it on some high power for 2-3 hours.

Now that I've checked back we had over 400 nights with it :D

Been camping for over 100 nights on a T6. Around 15-20% under the rain. 2 times we got water inside.
The last time pretty noticeable.
When it starts soaking it will get inside fast and easy.
We have a topper but didn't mess with it a single time.
Drying the tent isn't that hard. We put a tube from the heater upstairs and put it on some high power for 2-3 hours.
The OP has a T5 2015 with a Canvas bellows, but you have a T6 with apparently a different material.

You've got the wrong van if you think the canvas will stand upto 50 mph and heavy horizontal rain . You need a hard top or topper or goretex isotop or both for your Beach .I don't know of any single skin tent that would stand upto that weather . I always used a fly sheet when camping in any weather never got wet . Don't think you have any grounds for complaint .

I disagree about canvas - we used to have (still have actually) an old canvas frame tent which stood up to everything that was thrown at it for years! After about 30 years I reproofed it with Fabsil and now it's totally waterproof again - I think it's ridiculous that VW didn't supply their expensive vehicle with canvas that's been waterproofed. I would seriously think about using Fabsil on mine (I know VW don't recommend it but I can't imagine why) except that it's usually just me camping and I sleep downstairs so I can just close the roof.

I disagree about canvas - we used to have (still have actually) an old canvas frame tent which stood up to everything that was thrown at it for years! After about 30 years I reproofed it with Fabsil and now it's totally waterproof again - I think it's ridiculous that VW didn't supply their expensive vehicle with canvas that's been waterproofed. I would seriously think about using Fabsil on mine (I know VW don't recommend it but I can't imagine why) except that it's usually just me camping and I sleep downstairs so I can just close the roof.
So it lasted 30 years before being re-proofed. I very much doubted if was treated with chemicals when new so lasted very well.

So it lasted 30 years before being re-proofed. I very much doubted if was treated with chemicals when new so lasted very well.

Exactly. It was a very good quality tent, just as the VW is a very good quality vehicle.

What I see in the pics looks far more like condensation than really leaking canvas.
I have an 11 years old Cali with the original canvas in place. I have seen some quite bad weather but not for a full day of showers. Nevertheless, the difference in inside and outside temperature is almost a guarantee for condensation building up on the inside. Even if there is no rain but just a cold night.

I have built myself a very light topper as an experiment to make is act as a double wall This is already reducing the condensation problem to almost zero.

20170513-215304-OF_0326.jpg

well she is back from dealership and the official result is the canvas is shower proof only NOT water proof and they suggested to buy inner roof protector things....nah think i will use the scotch guard stuff you use on clothing and canvas tents to make sure it's more 'fit for purpose'.

I've read elsewhere that VW say NOT to use any waterproofing solution but have no idea why. I havn't had the leakage problem - I tend to keep the roof down if it rains hard - but I've been thinking about using Fabsil to waterproof mine - I used the paint-on version rather than the aerosol, some years ago on a very old canvas tent with huge success, it even sealed some fairly large pinholes!

I'd be interested to know how you get on - just a word about Fabsil as I don't know anything about the others - it needs a dry day as you have to start with dry canvas and then it needs to dry before being put away.

well she is back from dealership and the official result is the canvas is shower proof only NOT water proof and they suggested to buy inner roof protector things....nah think i will use the scotch guard stuff you use on clothing and canvas tents to make sure it's more 'fit for purpose'.

So a useless visit to the dealer.

1: Cotton and polycotton fabrics are never waterproof in a way waterproofness is measured: putting water under pressure on the fabric. A cotton tent is never 'waterproof' - although you can stay dry in a tent while it is raining cats and dogs. Polycotton is impregnated and therefore very much water repellent and therefore the water will not seep in. You can keep it that way to re-impregnate the fabric.

2: An inner lining will not keep the water out. If enough water is getting through the water will eventually drip down to the mattress.

ScotchGard will do the trick. It is invisible and can be applied to selected area's when needed.

This will, however, not prevent condensation under certain circumstances. A cap will help to produce the condensation outside the inner tent.

(This knowledge is not from being a Cali-owner but working in the outdoor industry for 17 years)

defo not condensation @Deskman was pouring down the inside, usually keep roof down in bad weather but wanted to see how it faired in bad weather and answer is it doesn't! only me and dogs in there and heating was on low.......was just very strong winds and very heavy rain, doesn't cope with that. :(

will use fabric suff you're suggesting and @BikerGran will feed back what i use and how easy it is to apply.....testing it will be when get a chance to be out again in bad weather. :)

I've read elsewhere that VW say NOT to use any waterproofing solution but have no idea why. I havn't had the leakage problem - I tend to keep the roof down if it rains hard - but I've been thinking about using Fabsil to waterproof mine - I used the paint-on version rather than the aerosol, some years ago on a very old canvas tent with huge success, it even sealed some fairly large pinholes!

I'd be interested to know how you get on - just a word about Fabsil as I don't know anything about the others - it needs a dry day as you have to start with dry canvas and then it needs to dry before being put away.

The reason VW says it don't need waterproofing is becose it has waterproofing from new an so there's no need to apply any products to make the canvas waterproof when buying new .
However afther years there's nothing wrong with renewing the proces by applying a new waterproof coat .
When you buy a new rainjacket say from North Face or whatever brand you also don't need to make it waterproof until a number times being in the washmachine.
Same on the Calicanvas , a knowledgeble Calidealer will have a product availeble to give the canvas a new waterproofcoating , at least my dealer has these products.

But as stated before , it's a single canvas and can not cope with torrential rainshowers or sevral days in a row beeing wet ....it will have watergress

For a good part of my camping life I used canvas tents and as Bikergran says they didn't leak. I think they were tighter woven from finer thread than my 2015 SE bellows is though. That said I have used it in heavy rain and not seen any leaks yet.

mine is a new canvas and that night i experienced the leaking was the first time it was 'tested' the cost of the cali i'd expect it to be water proof but not so hey ho. Now established that its just get on and make it waterproof now....found a product called 303 which is endorsed by sunbrella who make outdoor furnishings and the reviews i've found people have used it on their soft top cars to repel water with huge success so ordered that to try. Also used in marine world too with good reviews so good bet i hope......

at 2mins 30sec. shows a soaking.
that is sod all compared to a lake district soaking. That's like a fly pissing on yer coat. and where's the wind? my jeans would cope with that

If our VW roof was leaking wouldn't hesitate to use a Autoglym Cabriolet fabric hood Cleaning kit on it. Ive used it on various car roofs of differing fabric in the past & its excellent for making the water bead & run off rather than soak in.
Their blurb states :
The Autoglym Cabriolet Fabric Hood Maintenance Kit consists of two products, fabric cleaner to remove soiling, stains & traffic film & a fabric protector to re-proof & preserve the hood from the effects of water absorption & traffic film soiling. Suitable for use on mohair, double duck & fabric / canvas car hoods as well as boat canopies, tents & caravan awnings.

The only water we've had in ours so far in 4 years is where either water has been blown horizontally through the vent panels or someone has leant up against the fabric & the water has wicked through, but even that has only caused a damp patch rather than dripping water.

For a good part of my camping life I used canvas tents and as Bikergran says they didn't leak. I think they were tighter woven from finer thread than my 2015 SE bellows is though. That said I have used it in heavy rain and not seen any leaks yet.

The tent I reproofed was a 30+ year old heavy canvas frame tent. It dried well and next day we had a downpour - we stood in the house looking through the window and cheering as the rain literally bounced off the top!

Back