Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Brilliant…mine are grey inside and out…phew :thumb
But it is still scandalous that VW will not admit to there mistake.
VW Exec. Office admit that the 03S version of the bellows is a failed part, and have now replaced it. It remains to be seen what they say about the 04S variant, I haven’t spoken to them since the stories of leaks emerged, which in fairness has only been over the last few days, so let’s see how this plays out. Frustrating of course as we all had so much hope that 04S was the answer - remains to be seen how widespread their failure rate is.

VW Exec. Office admit that the 03S version of the bellows is a failed part, and have now replaced it. It remains to be seen what they say about the 04S variant, I haven’t spoken to them since the stories of leaks emerged, which in fairness has only been over the last few days, so let’s see how this plays out. Frustrating of course as we all had so much hope that 04S was the answer - remains to be seen how widespread their failure rate is.
I heard from Adrian today. He said he’s seen three cases of post 9/11 04S bellows leaking but he’s also closed a number of open claims where people have had them installed and they haven’t leaked. So who really knows…

Good idea if you know rain is forecast. I think I will see if an Outwell Fallcrest awning panel could be folded and used similarly. Plenty of eyelets at strategic points. Some adjustable plastic tipped bungees and 4 eyelets attached to the accessory rail (glad I optioned the rail on both sides) and that should secure things.
Did you give your idea a try? The Outwell Fallcrest awning? I was thinking a loose tent ground sheet may be worth a try as well...slightly more posh than a bin bag :)

Did you give your idea a try? The Outwell Fallcrest awning? I was thinking a loose tent ground sheet may be worth a try as well...slightly more posh than a bin bag :)
Can someone post the best contact email for Adrian at VW executive office/customer services please? Looked back on the thread but can't find it.

Not yet, still need to order the bungees without exposed metal hooks and the 3D printed eyelets for the accessory rail.

Not yet, still need to order the bungees without exposed metal hooks and the 3D printed eyelets for the accessory rail.
I tried this sort of thing early doors - it was a pain to fit and not that effective. A properly made wrap or cover is far better, albeit costing more!

I used an Army ”basha” sheet, Langadirect 12mm eyelets (£5.50 for 20) and yes, some plastic hooked bungees. They key is to sew the fold right so that it fits over the top of the roof at the corners. It’s not elegant, but it’s cheap, it’s very easy to put on and acts like a tent flysheet, protecting all the front from rain, including the vertical zips. It worked well the other night when it was very light wind and thin drizzle which can be more penetrating than heavier rain. The sides don’t seem to get that affected as they are vertical rather than angled like the front.

I was looking at making one. You could do with knowing somebody with a Caliwarp to use as a template. I looked around for material and thought the silver bubble wrap was the best looking thing with thermal properties. Think the one in the picture was the correct hight and length to go most of the way round (check though). You would need to put some stiffeners into the front corners. Didn't have enough time in the end so bought one and it would have probably looked a bit agricultural.
Screenshot_20240321_094700_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240321_094700_Chrome.jpg

That’s a different scenario though. You’re putting a topper on to protect it. You aren’t buying it because there is a fault with it.
my thoughts on the new 2 layer style canvas ,could the issue be the two layers any tent leaks if the outer fabric touches something in a tent sleeping bags etc,vw have in-effect created this situation by stitching to fabrics together?

The comfort one has poles in the corners to keep the structure of it - you’d need that really or else it’ll collapse I reckon. Not saying it’s impossible but given there are benefits to having an insulated wrap anyway I’d say it’s worth getting a proper one

my thoughts on the new 2 layer style canvas ,could the issue be the two layers any tent leaks if the outer fabric touches something in a tent sleeping bags etc,vw have in-effect created this situation by stitching to fabrics together?
Mine was not coming through the material, it just looked like water going in the fly screen, then overloading the seem at the bottom and eventually leaking through it. Depending on wind direction the sides do the same.

I think there is something in what you suggest. Note: Whilst i initially thought it was multi layered, looking again at mine recently, i am unsure if it is multi layered? (2024 O4S A)

And...i understand that the main issue is the seams letting water through. So how much would layers in the fabric contribute to leaking at the seams i am unsure.

I think there is something in what you suggest. Note: Whilst i initially thought it was multi layered, looking again at mine recently, i am unsure if it is multi layered? (2024 O4S A)

And...i understand that the main issue is the seams letting water through. So how much would layers in the fabric contribute to leaking at the seams i am unsure.
They are definitely multi layered but it’s possible the layers are bonded

How did you get on with your test?
Right sorry. It didn’t rain as much as forecast in that it wasn’t continuous. Did rain pretty heavily for an hour though, then brightened up and then rained again lightly for a few hours.

No leaks at all on this occasion.

Have turned into a weatherman now scanning app looking for best time to test.

It’s not leaking because something is touching the fabric I’m afraid.

It’s letting water through the seams.

I'm sure that the two layers are not separate but have been laminated together with a breathable microporous waterproof film.

I'm sure that the two layers are not separate but have been laminated together with a breathable microporous waterproof film.
I would concur with this; the bellows does appear to be breathable as it doesn't end up dripping with condensation like a tent does. However, membranes seldom last forever (even goretex, which I doubt it is!) so I imagine some waterproofing agent will be a necessity at some point! That said, perhaps that's why there are the warnings around applying waterproofing agents - there's a PU membrane in there which is sensitive to chemicals?

I have said a few times that mine does not leak and is the dark grey outside, cream inside fabric.
It's possible that it does not leak as I have sprayed all the seams and zips with Aqua Tex which is marketed by Isabella for reproofing their very expensive caravan awnings.
I have done the seams inside and outside and it does not leave any stains / marks once it is dry.
All tents, awnings, poptops need reproofing every 12 months.

I have said a few times that mine does not leak and is the dark grey outside, cream inside fabric.
It's possible that it does not leak as I have sprayed all the seams and zips with Aqua Tex which is marketed by Isabella for reproofing their very expensive caravan awnings.
I have done the seams inside and outside and it does not leave any stains / marks once it is dry.
Thanks for mentioning. Earlier on when you told everyone to stop worrying because yours didn’t leak so we shouldn’t be concerned it would have been helpful to know this.

That depends very much on the material. I've never had to reproof any of my backpacking/mountaineering tents and some of those are over 20 years old. The only one that failed did so because the waterproof coating broke down which apparently is quite normal after 10 years or so, although it's the only one that's been affected.

Back