Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I have said a few times that mine does not leak and is the dark grey outside, cream inside fabric.
It's possible that it does not leak as I have sprayed all the seams and zips with Aqua Tex which is marketed by Isabella for reproofing their very expensive caravan awnings.
I have done the seams inside and outside and it does not leave any stains / marks once it is dry.
All tents, awnings, poptops need reproofing every 12 months.
My original, now 10yrs old, bellows has never leaked and has never been treated.

No. You lot carry on the Real World Testing for the upcoming California Concept. :Iamsorry
In June 2023 I ordered a spare pop-roof seal from LLL Parts. When it finally came several weeks later I thought the packaging looked rather aged; on my scrutiny of the rubber extrusions it was clear that the manufacture date was 2017 i.e. 6 years before, and I guessed LLL Parts had sourced it from a third party parts supplier where it had been gathering dust.

These new type leaking bellows cause me to wonder whether there are any older type bellow on a shelf somewhere. A few days ago I enquired of LLL Parts if they might check, they came back and said "no longer available".

But I do still wonder ...

Thanks for mentioning. Earlier on when you told everyone to stop worrying because yours didn’t leak so we shouldn’t be concerned it would have been helpful to know this.
Yep, we can add this to:
  • mine doesn't leak because I haven't put it up in the rain
  • mine doesn't leak because I always have a topper over it
and the worst one:
  • mine doesn't leak because I decided not to buy a 6.1 Cali with the new and improved bellows.

My Cali took delivery 21/12/23. Has O3S A tag with Oct 23 fitted date. Two weeks ago at home with hose spray for 15 mins , no leaks. Pause, then another 15mins had 1 small finger nail size blob at each corner on shelf. Today another similar test but with a delibrate effort of most of the spray directed downwards ( standing on top of tall steps) giving bellows quite a soaking trying to replicate real rain . No leaks, bone dry. Admit these were not long tests but considering the unreliable weather my concern is having the rest of the day To dry before lowering roof. I will be testing again when weather permits.

My Cali took delivery 21/12/23. Has O3S A tag with Oct 23 fitted date. Two weeks ago at home with hose spray for 15 mins , no leaks. Pause, then another 15mins had 1 small finger nail size blob at each corner on shelf. Today another similar test but with a delibrate effort of most of the spray directed downwards ( standing on top of tall steps) giving bellows quite a soaking trying to replicate real rain . No leaks, bone dry. Admit these were not long tests but considering the unreliable weather my concern is having the rest of the day To dry before lowering roof. I will be testing again when weather permits.
I did very similar tests and had absolutely no water ingress. But when it rained pretty much all night with the wind blowing it directly into one side of the bellows that is when I noticed copious amount of water the following morning.

I guess that there is no substitute for the mother nature testing regime!!!!

Aren't they like £100k now?

What I do know is we aren't rushing into anything at the moment. Going to have a step back and think about the now and the future.
get a pre 2022 cali 2nd hand. save money,no leaks, great van

Thanks for everyone’s input on the matter too.

Van dropped off.

Fin.
Sad to hear Mark but I understand having shared your pre pick concerns around a similar delivery time just waiting to test my bellows in real life rain with very low hopes but minded to take the pain and hope for a fix if needed but it’s a close call

Sad to hear Mark but I understand having shared your pre pick concerns around a similar delivery time just waiting to test my bellows in real life rain with very low hopes but minded to take the pain and hope for a fix if needed but it’s a close call
Good luck! I hope it goes well.

If we hadn't wanted to travel in the rain it would have been fine and we'd have kept the van...

But you know, the UK and rain kinda go hand in hand.

I was just thinking if someone bought an old air hangar they could use it as camping facility for us plagued with this issue. Hey Presto no more leaking bellows.

Has anyone got the number for Dragons Den, reckon I may get some funding on this ;)

I was just thinking if someone bought an old air hangar they could use it as camping facility for us plagued with this issue. Hey Presto no more leaking bellows.

Has anyone got the number for Dragons Den, reckon I may get some funding on this ;)
What dealer are you going to use when you pull the trigger on the warranty claim Barry?

The next week looks wet so hopefully you won’t have to wait too long to test it.

Back