Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Pray tell how a water repellent product can cause greater leaking.
I have used a product recommended by Issabella one of the largest manufacturers of top quality awnings and tents. They recommend that you reproof yearly.
If my poptop starts to leak then I'm sure it will still be covered by VW warranty.
Whilst i hope the treatment you have applied assures you many leak free years to enjoy your van (great photo of your van looking out across the beach btw), VW do advise against using treatments.

In the unlucky event your treatment has caused an issue and caused damage (which in turn worsens the issues of leaking), you may find that VW will not accept liability in relation to your warranty. On the other hand, VW may be fine with it of course.

If you are happy with this risk, all is good.

That makes absolutely no sense. If what you say is true why apply a sealant to non leaking bellows and risk damaging the bellows or negating any warranty claim with VW?
Are you calling me a liar.

Whilst i hope the treatment you have applied assures you many leak free years to enjoy your van (great photo of your van looking out across the beach btw), VW do advise against using treatments.

In the unlucky event your treatment has caused an issue and caused damage (which in turn worsens the issues of leaking), you may find that VW will not accept liability in relation to your warranty. On the other hand, VW may be fine with it of course.

If you are happy with this risk, all is good.
Where do VW say that you should not to use a treatment.????

Are you calling me a liar.
Whatever. No point discussing this common problem with someone incapable of comprehending the gravity of the issue for those (a majority of MY23/24 owners) that are affected.

Whatever. No point discussing this common problem with someone incapable of comprehending the gravity of the issue for those (a majority of MY23/24 owners) that are affected.
member: 25423"]
[/QUOTE]
Camperking say

Camperking say
[/QUOTE]
How to maintain your VW Campervan pop-top roof
It's vital that care is taken to look after the roof tent, and to perform basic maintenance on it from time to time.
The CamperKing pop-top roof is custom-made for our conversions and comes with a breathable polyester roof tent.

Most important, the tent fabric requires thorough drying if it has gotten wet in the rain, for example. We suggest leaving it no more than 48 hours, where possible, to air the fabric and dry out all the residual dampness. This will help ensure you don't experience mould or mildew growth, and will help to protect against degradation of the fabric.

Secondly, we recommend reproofing your tent fabric at least once a year. This can be done with a proprietary waterproofing solution, or you can return your campervan to CamperKing HQ to benefit from our tent reproofing service, priced at £102 incl. VAT.

Another great tip to ensure you get years of use from your roof tent, is to ensure it doesn't get snagged beneath the roof itself when stowing it away. Do this by pulling the fabric inward from inside the vehicle as you pull the roof down.

I can a
Camperking say
[/QUOTE]
Why the insults???
So are you saying that 1000,s of 2023 and 2024 Californias sold over the past 2 years are faulty.

The last thread was closed because it got personal:))

Water proofing your below will not be detectable! So how will VW find out if you have or not if you need to take to them for a problem? Unless you tell them:)

But it will make the bellows more waterproof:) guaranteed!

I can a
Camperking say
Why the insults???
So are you saying that 1000,s of 2023 and 2024 Californias sold over the past 2 years are faulty.
[/QUOTE]
Thats what they are saying - & if you dare to put your head above the parapet & suggest yours doesn't leak, then according to some on here either you are a liar or you havn't been out in enough rain yet.

I am saying that as 2023 bellows owner that after 13 months & many trips has yet to see any sign of a leak.

VW’s ‘fix‘ for a leaking poptop is replacing the bellows so why wouldn’t you just document the leak with your dealer and ask them in writing if you can apply something to your current set in the interim? Struggling to work out why they’d say no, they’ll only end up in the bin.

I’ve water proofed 3 of my previous oceans and have never had any water ingress and I live in my van travelling Uk and Europe for 5-6 months a year!

I am collecting my new ocean in 2-3 weeks and the first thing I will do is apply two coats of Fabsil gold and hopefully job done.
If not I have options which we are all aware of:))

It’s great to hear that not everybody with a 2023/2024 Cali has bellows that leak, but it’s a shame so many do. I’m pleased too to hear that treating the fabric may even improve the situation, but I won’t be doing this as the manual says you mustn’t do it (unless VW change their stance).

I wonder how many times @P600BOO will return to this thread to tell everyone that his treated bellows don’t leak again. I’m truly happy that he has no issues. Looks like he’s enjoying using his van, which is great! Love the beach photo. Long may we all be able to do that soon.

It’s great to hear that not everybody with a 2023/2024 Cali has bellows that leak, but it’s a shame so many do. I’m pleased too to hear that treating the fabric may even improve the situation, but I won’t be doing this as the manual says you mustn’t do it (unless VW change their stance).

I wonder how many times @P600BOO will return to this thread to tell everyone that his treated bellows don’t leak again. I’m truly happy that he has no issues. Looks like he’s enjoying using his van, which is great! Love the beach photo. Long may we all be able to do that soon.
And here is another pic of me at Cheddar, another wet day

20240320_115420.jpg

If you want a cali and want to go camping then you could either.
1) wait forever for VW to fix.
2) reject and buy an earlier cali without the issue.
3) treat your canvas with waterproof spray/seam sealer etc, as P600BOO and get out using your van Z(accepting you may have voided chance of any canvas warranty claim in future).
4) reject the lifestyle purchase and move on.
Thus far Only 2 & 3 get you out using your cali as intended you really gotta make a decision quick and move on with life.
Ranting on a forum wont do much more than raise your blood pressure.

3) treat your canvas with waterproof spray/seam sealer etc, as P600BOO and get out using your van Z(accepting you may have voided chance of any canvas warranty claim in future).
Thus far Only 2 & 3 get you out using your cali as intended you really gotta make a decision quick and move on with life.
You missed option 5, which is using a topper or a wrap. That’s what we’re doing so we’re all good. Anyhow the new bellows are miles better than the previous ones. It’s not the issue it used to be although admittedly not quite right still.

You missed option 5, which is using a topper or a wrap. That’s what we’re doing so we’re all good. Anyhow the new bellows are miles better than the previous ones. It’s not the issue it used to be although admittedly not quite right still.
....or option 6 keep the lifestyle and buy another camper without a pop top!

My comments have caused worry for many? What?

I came to this forum because I was thinking of buying a California and heard about the leaking poptops. I then placed an order and received the van which had a leaking poptop.

My comments are fully backed up with photos and weather conditions it was in.

There were many others posting comments and photos of leaking poptops way before I started posting. Which ironically, caused worry to me for my upcoming delivery.

I'm just one person at the end of a long line of people that have had issues.
Mark your comments were/are helpful and appreciated by others experiencing or likely to experience similar bellows issues and looking for advice.

Uh!
What?
Ask them and tell them!
Why?
Just do it:)
They won’t know:)
Hello Higgins
Serious question not point scoring
Are you sure it won’t leave marks or residue or discolour etc

The last thread was closed because it got personal:))

Water proofing your below will not be detectable! So how will VW find out if you have or not if you need to take to them for a problem? Unless you tell them:)

But it will make the bellows more waterproof:) guaranteed!
Hi.I took the strategic decision to risk my warranty and applied Fabsil waterproofer to the fabric and their seam sealer to all the seams. Waterproofer is undetectable, seam sealer is obvious. It seems to work. Your decision - I make no endorsement

Last edited:
Hi.I took the strategic decision to risk my warranty and applied Fabsil waterproofer to the fabric and their seam sealer to all the seams. Waterproofer is undetectable, seam sealer is obvious. It seems to work. Your decision - I make no endorsement
Thank you

Back