Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

You're absolutely right here, my wife and I had a real kerfuffle shoehorning the last bit of the bellows in to close the shutter. This hasn't got any easier in the several attempts since, I'd really struggle to do this on my own tbh. I wasn't sure whether this was a burden all Cali owners have to live with or an issue with the latest bellows. But long term I am concerned the damage this may do to the fabric which VW may argue isn't wear and tear..
Same here. I’m controlling the way it folds down now to make it easier. Hospital corners style

For those interested, I’ve just watched a YouTube video by California Chris on the California Surf, and read through some comments. One comment was along the line of “interesting that the leaking pop top wasn’t mentioned”. The reply from Chris was ‘that’s sorted now, new Californias from the factory don’t leak, if yours leaks get in contact with your point of sale’ or words to that effect.

This is a link…

Same here. I’m controlling the way it folds down now to make it easier. Hospital corners style
I read a tip on here to stop closing just short of closed and then carefully fold up the canvas and close the shutter before pressing the close button again and finishing the operation. Worked perfectly for me … simples.

I read a tip on here to stop closing just short of closed and then carefully fold up the canvas and close the shutter before pressing the close button again and finishing the operation. Worked perfectly for me … simples.
Thanks for the tip seems to make perfect sense, does that not put pressure on the mechanism as the air cannot escape which you leave your windows open for?

Thanks for the tip seems to make perfect sense, does that not put pressure on the mechanism as the air cannot escape which you leave your windows open for?
dont think so... my theory; such a small volume by then and its not as if the top is airtight or anything (zips, vents, shutter...)

Has anyone else been told that a new roof bellows has been produced by VW and will be available in January 2024? That’s my latest info from VW Customer Care. Bellows leaked from day two on brand new Cali Ocean and been going round in circles with local dealership and VW UK ever since.

I picked up mine on Saturday and checked the tag (04s). Rain forecast for tomorrow so will put up the roof and leave to see if there’s an any water ingress. Wind gusts are 30mph, will this be ok?
IMG_5902.jpeg

Oooh the ‘A’ sticker again :)

Has anyone else been told that a new roof bellows has been produced by VW and will be available in January 2024? That’s my latest info from VW Customer Care. Bellows leaked from day two on brand new Cali Ocean and been going round in circles with local dealership and VW UK ever since.
I’m not sure what the January release is. I was told by Adrian at VWCC that these bellows released since 9/11/23 are the new ones and there won’t be any others.

I picked up mine on Saturday and checked the tag (04s). Rain forecast for tomorrow so will put up the roof and leave to see if there’s an any water ingress. Wind gusts are 30mph, will this be ok?
View attachment 117286
30 will be fine. Pop a few coats over the front seats to catch any drops blowing through the vents at the top. Ordinarily angling the rear into the wind is best practice but if testing watertightness that's a bit self defeating as there are very few seams on the back panel of the bellows. Better of facing it front/side to the wind to test it.

The roof structure (on an Ocean at least) is much stronger than it appears. :)

Well it all seems to be ok and no water in the van, although there was some shelter at the side of the house. More concerning was the bellows on one side were not as taut when I returned (see before and after pics). When I lowered the roof, one side fell further than the other and so I stopped and put it back up and it came down level the second time. I now fear its problems with the hydraulics!IMG_5910.jpegIMG_5907.jpegIMG_5909.jpeg

IMG_5912.jpeg

There are several threads on roofs not lowering evenly - key thing is to stop and raise the roof fully before trying to lower it (as you did!). Apparently, one of the recommended things to try is to cycle the roof up and down 5 times, to re-balance the system. If it persists, get it sorted under warranty, it's very expensive otherwise.

According to VWCS the manufacturing date of 9th November or later is the important thing here for the replacement bellows, rather than the 04S part code. It is likely that the two are one and the same but from what Adrian at VWCS says, they are told only that 9th Nov or later manufacturing date is important and there is no central comment on 03S v. 04S.

The reference to January 2024 comes from an internal note that VW have put out to dealers (I posted a copy above, a few pages back). That refers to availability from January, and the smart money is on that just simply being to buy themselves time to get sufficient volume coming through to dealerships whereas in practice some do seem to be trickling through now to dealers, albeit the majority likely go to the factory for new vehicle production.

the good news is the latest version seems to be effective albeit only time will tell if it’s a long term and consistent fix - but fingers crossed ……..

According to VWCS the manufacturing date of 9th November or later is the important thing here for the replacement bellows, rather than the 04S part code. It is likely that the two are one and the same but from what Adrian at VWCS says, they are told only that 9th Nov or later manufacturing date is important and there is no central comment on 03S v. 04S.

The reference to January 2024 comes from an internal note that VW have put out to dealers (I posted a copy above, a few pages back). That refers to availability from January, and the smart money is on that just simply being to buy themselves time to get sufficient volume coming through to dealerships whereas in practice some do seem to be trickling through now to dealers, albeit the majority likely go to the factory for new vehicle production.

the good news is the latest version seems to be effective albeit only time will tell if it’s a long term and consistent fix - but fingers crossed ……..
I have been told the exact same. Manufacture date 9/11/2023 and later will incorporate all modifications. The January date is all about lead time into stock but if you have a date of 9/11/2023 or later you will have the pukka version.

Well it all seems to be ok and no water in the van, although there was some shelter at the side of the house. More concerning was the bellows on one side were not as taut when I returned (see before and after pics). When I lowered the roof, one side fell further than the other and so I stopped and put it back up and it came down level the second time. I now fear its problems with the hydraulics!View attachment 117293View attachment 117294View attachment 117295

View attachment 117296
Mine did that some time ago and then wouldn't deploy symmetrically. In fact one side wouldn't pressurise at all.

In any case, over a number of days, the pop-tops are prone to minor pressure drop in the hydraulics. Yours doesn't look "minor".

In my case, a new hydraulic pump was provided under warranty and it seems I wasn't alone with this pump fault. Wouldn't say it's common but certainly not unknown!

How is new bellows performing Jeannie?
Sorry only just seen this.
Unfortunately I've not tested them yet. I want to test them in the rain, but also need to be able to dry them out afterwards... which is all about timing this time of year. I will report back as soon as I have tested them though

Have you tried nickwax tent proofing I have done this with every tent and cali I have ever owned no issues with leaks it could be the seams leaking

Have you tried nickwax tent proofing I have done this with every tent and cali I have ever owned no issues with leaks it could be the seams leaking
Outside of warranty I think a lot of people would do something like that. The problem is that it’ll likely invalidate the warranty on the new vans that the leak is affecting.

I assume from how quiet it is in here that bellowsgate is now over and I can look forward to a trouble free collection of a new van in March

Back