Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 left hand kitchen door handle

• Thread starter Mansfieldman750
  • Start date
Popped a 3M sticky dot/pimple/bump stop thing in the runner which probably should have been part of the design tbh. 5min job that might save £15-£20 in the long run.
Good idea. Job for tomorrow morning.

Huh. My 6.1 too. Sort of. The sticky-out bit on the handle seems OK, but there was a sticky-out bit on the receiver too, and that's fallen off. A stupidly tiny thin bit of plastic.

Result is much the same - door refuses to stay shut. Has anyone else encountered this?

IMG_1548.jpeg

Huh. My 6.1 too. Sort of. The sticky-out bit on the handle seems OK, but there was a sticky-out bit on the receiver too, and that's fallen off. A stupidly tiny thin bit of plastic.

Result is much the same - door refuses to stay shut. Has anyone else encountered this?

View attachment 96128
So many of these left hand door catch issues @captain_ankles !!
You could maybe glue it back with a bit of reinforcement on the backside? However opening and sliding the door without pushing the handle in will probably break it again.
Warranty job if you can wait and can tolerate a visit or two to the dealership (1. Diagnose and 2. Fit) or just buy a spare and fit it yourself. Or maybe your dealership would be happy to post a spare to you under warranty?

Last edited:
This has happened to me too. VW refused to repair it under warranty and charged me £12.
I couldn't understand how I'd managed to break it. Sounds from this like its the right hand door 'acting like a guillotine'. @Stuart could you let me know how you've prevented it happening again? lump of blue tac like Welshgas suggested?

Mine broke for the 4th time a few days ago. I was driving, and the door started to rattle because (I think) the runners on the bottom are loose. I'm keen to find a proper way to fix it.

This has happened to me too. VW refused to repair it under warranty and charged me £12.
I couldn't understand how I'd managed to break it. Sounds from this like its the right hand door 'acting like a guillotine'. @Stuart could you let me know how you've prevented it happening again? lump of blue tac like Welshgas suggested?
I put one of those 3m rubber bumpers in the runner, which didn't last one camping trip without coming unstuck. It has to be very precisely placed as too far to the right and the drawer won't open. There is only 3-4mm wriggle room. Blu tak might just be a better option tbh. Reluctant to put a self tapper in there as I am sure that will damage the bottom edge of the door in time.

I put one of those 3m rubber bumpers in the runner, which didn't last one camping trip without coming unstuck. It has to be very precisely placed as too far to the right and the drawer won't open. There is only 3-4mm wriggle room. Blu tak might just be a better option tbh. Reluctant to put a self tapper in there as I am sure that will damage the bottom edge of the door in time.
So the problem is opening the right hand cupboard door too far?
With the left hand door open?

Last edited:
We have a blob of blutak (about 5mm) at the end of the runner. But, i think the cause of damage is probably when you try to open the right hand door while the left hand door is not fully closed. Blutak or a screw will not help in this event.

Quick update. So the van is in heritage Bristol. Won’t replace it under warranty because ‘it’s broken’. Came up with a modest price to refit which I accepted.

24 hours later and I get a call saying they can’t do the job because the screws are hidden, and they’d need to remove the entire kitchen to get the fridge out. On the plus side they offered me the catch gratis.

I asked them to take another look, simply because it doesn’t make sense. Another call from them 5 mins later to say they’re asking VW what to do.

I’m not holding my breath…

Quick update. So the van is in heritage Bristol. Won’t replace it under warranty because ‘it’s broken’. Came up with a modest price to refit which I accepted.

24 hours later and I get a call saying they can’t do the job because the screws are hidden, and they’d need to remove the entire kitchen to get the fridge out. On the plus side they offered me the catch gratis.

I asked them to take another look, simply because it doesn’t make sense. Another call from them 5 mins later to say they’re asking VW what to do.

Hi @captain_ankles The left hand kitchen catch can very easily be replaced without taking the kitchen apart!! 3 Torx screws and it’s off. New one self aligns in the aperture in the door. A tip is to put the three screws partially in the catch before refitting.
BTW mine was replaced under warranty, although because I had repaired the broken one, I asked my dealership not to fit it (they would have). They gave me a new one which i’m keeping as a spare.

Nonsense (and worrying - do Heritage Bristol even know what they're doing with a California?)
Mine was replaced (for a fee) by Alan Day Hampstead. It is now broken again.
It was indeed broken by me - but how many breakages does it take to decide that it is mis-designed? I simply opened the door the wrong way...so technically their door broke their catch. Twice.

Figu
Nonsense (and worrying - do Heritage Bristol even know what they're doing with a California?)
Mine was replaced (for a fee) by Alan Day Hampstead. It is now broken again.
It was indeed broken by me - but how many breakages does it take to decide that it is mis-designed? I simply opened the door the wrong way...so technically their door broke their catch. Twice.
Figured out the reason mine keeps breaking: the runners on the bottom of the cabinet have come loose. I’ll ask them to fix when I go in for the next service. In the meantime, the runners are held in place with a plastic shim..

And at last, a final update. It’s fixed. Heritage Bristol did the job under warranty, and only had to take the fridge out. And fix the screws they rounded off.

Anyway - no more rattles and I can remove the clothes peg keeping the door shut :)

And at last, a final update. It’s fixed. Heritage Bristol did the job under warranty, and only had to take the fridge out. And fix the screws they rounded off.

Anyway - no more rattles and I can remove the clothes peg keeping the door shut :)
Had my second fixed under warranty too

I fixed mine cupboard door handle with superglue and metalplast lets see for how long mine repair last: ). You dont se the repair when just open the doorthumbnail_IMG_3855.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3856.jpg

I think i broke my cupboard handle because i had opened both doors at the same time. Then the right door smashed into the leftdoor and the "little hook" fell off!

I think i broke my cupboard handle because i had opened both doors at the same time. Then the right door smashed into the leftdoor and the "little hook" fell off!
Yep. That’s the classic way to break it, very easily done.

VW will replace under warranty if you ask nicely
My dealer did. However I also repaired the original with Araldite some months ago and it’s still holding up. Kept the one from the dealer as a spare.

My dealer did. However I also repaired the original with Araldite some months ago and it’s still holding up. Kept the one from the dealer as a spare.
Maybe re-enforce the spare before you have to use it. Maybe an Araldite + metal brace.?

If you’re in the front passenger seat with the table out and your wife asks you for a teaspoon you reach under the table blindfold and push your door across, not knowing that she left her door ajar when she got the teabag and oops you’ve done it again.

So, so easy to break, I will be fitting our 3rd tomorrow! Luckily they are relatively cheap and easy to get hold of, only takes a few minutes to fit but very annoying.

Well, after being very careful opening cupboard doors for 18 months, and using the Blutak trick, we’ve also succumbed to a broken left hand door catch. Thankfully it’s the door handle that’s bust, so easily replaced. Rather than get it changed on warranty we’ve just ordered a new one for £25 - it would cost more than £25 in diesel getting to the dealer.

I‘d say it’s a lesson learned, but we already knew it!!

Back