Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lorenzo Tranquilo

Lorenzo Tranquilo

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 1991 VW T4 Westafalia and the leisure batteries are not charging. When I drive I see the volts indicator in the main panel going up to over 14. but when I stop, in 10 minutes it drops to 11.7. The indicator of the battery capacity is always empty.
When I connect the hook up cable the batteries are not charging and there is no charging symbol in the panel. The electric sockets behind the driver seat work when connected on hook up.
I tried to look at the Philips charger under the fridge but I could not see any evident sign of damage. Where are the fuses I should check for the charger? I opened the man fuses panel (left under the steering wheel) and the small fuses box behind the driver seat but I couldn't find anything about the charger. Are the fuses inside the charger itself?
How can I check if the problem are the batteries or the charger or both?

Thank you very much for your help, any advise is very much appreciated!

There’s a strong possibility your charger unit is toast. They have a habit of melting internally if left uncleaned ( they get full of dust/fluff etc and overheat).

There are basically two options. Buy a replacement from Gunzll Bus shop or fit a Fraron unit.

Search in the T4 tech section here and you’ll find tons of Intel on both options.

Apart from that, rest assured you’ve bought one of the best campers on the planet, if not the best.

;) :cheers

Back