Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery...again

Both my leisure batteries were replaced after 3 years under warranty. I took it in on the last day before the warranty expired and they tested them after I complained that they were discharging at the rate of 10% a day with nothing connected. we now make sure that they are topped up at least once a month with a 24hr charge.
I imagine if they have been on for 7 years you have been very lucky.

Those batteries are original and dated 2011, I can't quite make out the month, possibly October?
The date (month and year) is stamped on the top of the -ve terminal in each case.

Alan
Ah, fantastic I did wonder if they were date stamps. Thank you.

Both my leisure batteries were replaced after 3 years under warranty.

I imagine if they have been on for 7 years you have been very lucky.

The previous owner has been very lucky... I’ve just bought it :( lol

The van is a 2011. The batteries have an 13 and a 11 stamped on them?

Last edited:
For the love of god wrap the positive cables in tape!!!! They are live when you’re driving. If they touch the metal of the body it will get messy.
I agree entirely. I’m only just recovering from an £8.5k insurance claim for a complete leisure wiring loom replacement after making a mistake with an earthing live terminal. If you’ve one battery in, wrap the other live in tape
Incidentally, since the accident I’ve purchased a ctek smart changer so if I’ve got a battery issue, I can check and charge them in situ.(yes both batteries in parallel at the same time) The ctek “condition” as well, so should prolong the batteries life

I agree entirely. I’m only just recovering from an £8.5k insurance claim for a complete leisure wiring loom replacement after making a mistake with an earthing live terminal. If you’ve one battery in, wrap the other live in tape
Incidentally, since the accident I’ve purchased a ctek smart changer so if I’ve got a battery issue, I can check and charge them in situ.(yes both batteries in parallel at the same time) The ctek “condition” as well, so should prolong the batteries life
Doesn't your Mains Charger work?

The previous owner has been very lucky... I’ve just bought it :( lol

The van is a 2011. The batteries have an 13 and a 11 stamped on them?
That may well be week number and year, possibly end of March 2011?
Would that match the registration date of your van?

Alan

2 new leisure batteries needed :(

Before I order them, I just wanted to check that I am looking at the right ones. Is this right?

Battery Size
315mm x 175mm x 190mm

Battery Type
AGM leisure battery

The club shop sells them, but there are no details of the batteries they sell and they are out of stock :(

Last edited:
I would not rule out the dealership. On commercially available items they are often very competitive.
I recently removed the engine battery and traded it for an 'original fitment' replacement from my dealer at a good price.

Alan

F7797F01-CEA3-4154-BFFF-2EA111F9EE2F.jpeg
Batteries are ace. Everything working well.
My ‘happiness’ level is showing 100%
:)

To help others where did you get them from & what did they cost ??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To help others where did you get them from & what did they cost ??

Batteries are
Model: LA80 VARTA DUAL PURPOSE AGM LEISURE BATTERY 840 080 080
Size: 315mm x 175mm x 190mm
Capacity: 80ah

I got them from Tayna Batteries on the internet.
Tayna were excellent by the way, very good service.

Here is a link
https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/varta/la80/

Cost: £160.97 + £8.81 delivery

Alternatives
The club shop sells alternative batteries, but were out of stock, also they did not get back to me (twice!) when I asked for a quote.

VW Van Center West Yorkshire
Could supply for £202.22 each inc VAT, for what I assume would be the same battery.

Other
I really struggled to find a cheaper alternative that were both AGM and the right size, some came close, but the saving was just £10 or so, therefore I thought it best to stick with the VARTA replacement.

@willwander
You did everything right. Those batteries are the same ones provided by Vw, but then in black. Here in Norway, you can buy those from Vw for 430 euros /battery (July 2017). Or you do like you did, buy them elsewhere. In Norway you can find them for around 200 euros.
Good to know is that Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 80Ah Short code:F21 is the same battery under different label (same as LA80).

@willwander
You did everything right. Those batteries are the same ones provided by Vw, but then in black. Here in Norway, you can buy those from Vw for 430 euros /battery (July 2017). Or you do like you did, buy them elsewhere. In Norway you can find them for around 200 euros.
Good to know is that Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 80Ah Short code:F21 is the same battery under different label (same as LA80).
I found them at a good price for when i need to change.
5er delivery.
https://basba.de/varta-professional...MIqrDSj6bH3gIVQuAYCh0nFA7uEAkYAiABEgKjCfD_BwE

Our first trip away with the new batteries, and I'm really pleased with how they performed.
We had the fridge on 3 the aux heater on 2 and cabin lights for pretty much 48 hours, no problem.

After the first night the batteries were showing 80%, I was curious how long they would take to recharge, so I left the van on tick over for about 15mins, amazingly this seemed long enough for them to get back to 100% !

I'm curious how long it would take, running engine on tick over, to fully recharge both batteries.