Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery Charging. Riddle me this...

First check the 80A fuse under the passenger seat then check the main 100a fuse in the ebox under the main starter battery that supplies the relay under the passenger seat.
1.Fuses-SH(ocean).png
Fuse_Box_A.jpeg

Hi. I am having a similar problem on my 2017 Ocean. The battery charges fully off the electric hook up, however when driving only reaches 40%. I'm about to go in holiday and won't have a hook up so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

View attachment 81975

View attachment 81976
Exactly what @Loz has said above.

Ignore the % reading. It is a computerised calculation and quit iffy and is reset each time the panel is rebooted . The Voltage is accurate though.

Your pictures would indicate that the Control Panel is receiving a signal input from the alternator, but not a charging voltage.
So check the Fuses.
If fuses OK, then check the Split Charge Relay.
Lastly if all the above are OK, the alternator wiring to split charge relay should be examined. If the alternator had failed you would have more immediate problems.

Maybe it's useful to have such a 100 amp fuse in the car?
What model is it? Is it difficult to change?

My is a T6 Ocean 150. Fuse is under the starter battery so you have to take that battery out to get to the fuses. Not difficult but not immediately accessible. I have spares now in the van in case it happens again but it has been fine for the last 4 years.

My is a T6 Ocean 150. Fuse is under the starter battery so you have to take that battery out to get to the fuses. Not difficult but not immediately accessible. I have spares now in the van in case it happens again but it has been fine for the last 4 years.
Is it like this ?
143249_pic1.jpg

Thanks everyone. I might have that same issue with my 2005 Cali SE.

Thanks everyone. I might have that same issue with my 2005 Cali SE.
False alarm! I noticed a negative current of about 0,2-0,4 and 12,6V despite the G symbol. But this occurred after a 540+ km trip. Today after the cars been standing a couple of days the charging is about 10A and the Volt 14,1 again. Everything seem OK. But thanks for the comments. My turn next time for some real problem solving.

False alarm! I noticed a negative current of about 0,2-0,4 and 12,6V despite the G symbol. But this occurred after a 540+ km trip. Today after the cars been standing a couple of days the charging is about 10A and the Volt 14,1 again. Everything seem OK. But thanks for the comments. My turn next time for some real problem solving.
I experienced the same issue again! Checked the high performance fuses under the engine battery. Big hazzle to remove that! No blown fuses. Checked the 100A under the drivers seat. It was loose! Put it in place and charging works again. Learning by doing.

First check the 80A fuse under the passenger seat then check the main 100a fuse in the ebox under the main starter battery that supplies the relay under the passenger seat.
1.View attachment 81979
View attachment 81978
1.View attachment 81979
View attachment 81978
Hi, I’m just trying to fault a similar issue on a 2019 Beach, the 100Amp fuse under the main battery compartment is ok but on checking under my seat I don’t have an 80 Amp fuse, there are cables to an empty fuse holder (which I think could be where it should be) and there is a voltage present on both sides of the holder with the engine on and only one side with the engine off . Does anyone have a picture (from a 2019 Beach) to confirm before I take the plunge and replace it. I’ve circled where I think my 80amp fuse should be.

551AA6FA-60DF-4B7F-9638-3299DD76CD4F.jpeg

Hi, I’m just trying to fault a similar issue on a 2019 Beach, the 100Amp fuse under the main battery compartment is ok but on checking under my seat I don’t have an 80 Amp fuse, there are cables to an empty fuse holder (which I think could be where it should be) and there is a voltage present on both sides of the holder with the engine on and only one side with the engine off . Does anyone have a picture (from a 2019 Beach) to confirm before I take the plunge and replace it. I’ve circled where I think my 80amp fuse should be.

View attachment 93327
Hi M32 ,

here is a photo from an 2018 Beach,

As you can see the general layout is slightly different

but the fuse can been seen circled in red on my photo
the Red circle in your photo looks the same as the Fuse holder on mine although in a different location

i hope that helps

53BC3635-3C07-47CB-A17E-355D999C791C.jpeg

Reactions: M32
Hi M32 ,

here is a photo from an 2018 Beach,

As you can see the general layout is slightly different

but the fuse can been seen circled in red on my photo
the Red circle in your photo looks the same as the Fuse holder on mine although in a different location

i hope that helps

View attachment 93331
Thank you so much, I’ve just fitted a 70amp maxi fuse (that’s all Halfords stock) and I’m now getting 13.6v on my leisure battery sockets .

Thank you so much, I’ve just fitted a 70amp maxi fuse (that’s all Halfords stock) and I’m now getting 13.6v on my leisure battery sockets .
Glad I could Help,

I would try and get a correct size 80 amp fuse.

I presume you have tow bar prep because of the 643 relay ?

Reactions: M32
Glad I could Help,

I presume you have tow bar prep because of the 643 relay
Glad I could Help,

I presume you have tow bar prep because of the 643 relay ?
I’ve now ordered the correct size maxi fuse (it was fitted just to check to see if the issue was resolved)
Yes I have the tow bar prep, the two fuses in the clear housing are for my Webasto which was fitted by Exploria.

This forum is a fantastic resource

I’ve now ordered the correct size maxi fuse (it was fitted just to check to see if the issue was resolved)
Yes I have the tow bar prep, the two fuses in the clear housing are for my Webasto which was fitted by Exploria.

This forum is a fantastic resource
So was this fuse ever fitted? Or removed when the Webasto was fitted?

Without it how was your Leisure Battery getting charged?

So was this fuse ever fitted? Or removed when the Webasto was fitted?

Without it how was your Leisure Battery getting charged?
When I purchased it (it was 6 months old and an ex VW commercial company car), I had my doubts it was charging correctly. It was never really an issue as when I camped I’ve always used EHU. It’s only really come to light after camping without EHU, the heater and compressor cooler box both shut down due to low voltage after a full weekend of camping.

1.View attachment 81979
View attachment 81978

My 2018 Ocean parking heater cuts out when I’m not on hook up

Leisure Batteries were showing as 40% on the control panel and had quarter a tank of fuel.

Reading various posts I’d assumed it’s the leisure batteries or the main batteries.

Just been to Halfords to get them checked, all batteries were fine. Engine battery was showing more power than the label.

Under seat battery was showing 100% health and rear leisure battery showing 93%, both were showing over 12v charge.

I checked the 80 amp fuse in the picture and was fine.

I haven’t checked the 100amp fuse, but I’d assume that one of the leisure batteries would be flat if the 100 amp fuse had gone or am i mistaken?

For what it’s worth the heater works fine when the engine is running.

Any ideas please??

My 2018 Ocean parking heater cuts out when I’m not on hook up

Leisure Batteries were showing as 40% on the control panel and had quarter a tank of fuel.

Reading various posts I’d assumed it’s the leisure batteries or the main batteries.

Just been to Halfords to get them checked, all batteries were fine. Engine battery was showing more power than the label.

Under seat battery was showing 100% health and rear leisure battery showing 93%, both were showing over 12v charge.

I checked the 80 amp fuse in the picture and was fine.

I haven’t checked the 100amp fuse, but I’d assume that one of the leisure batteries would be flat if the 100 amp fuse had gone or am i mistaken?

For what it’s worth the heater works fine when the engine is running.

Any ideas please??
The engine battery is not involved in running the Parking Heater.
If the Leisure Battery voltage on the Control Panel drops to, or below, 11.5v on starting up the Parking Heater it will switch Off.

Ignore the % on the Control Panel. It is not very accurate. The voltage shown is accurate. What voltage is shown ?

IMG_1532.jpeg

The engine battery is not involved in running the Parking Heater.
If the Leisure Battery voltage on the Control Panel drops to, or below, 11.5v on starting up the Parking Heater it will switch Off.

Ignore the % on the Control Panel. It is not very accurate. The voltage shown is accurate. What voltage is shown ?

View attachment 108859

12.2v

I thought if there was a problem with the main battery it stops the leisure batteries charging.

Thinking about it, it could be the 100amp fuse because maybe this fuse is only used when using the charge, rather than charging the batteries.

If so this means both batteries could be charged but only one being used

12.2v

I thought if there was a problem with the main battery it stops the leisure batteries charging.

Thinking about it, it could be the 100amp fuse because maybe this fuse is only used when using the charge, rather than charging the batteries.

If so this means both batteries could be charged but only one being used
Two separate systems. The only connection between the two is via the Split Charge relay.
IMG_2152.jpeg

Can anyone post a picture of the N162, Battery Charge Control under the Refrigerator?

Thanks!