Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery charging

Muchos04

Muchos04

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi there,

My two 60amp Varta leisure batteries are encased in a steel cage under the van. Problem is I can’t get at them. I live in an apartment so can hook up to mains without throwing a cable down to the street which is a non starter.

Is it possibly to buy a leisure battery charger with a 230/240v 3 pin mains connector? I have a female connector at the back of the van for mains hook up.

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically I can’t hook the camper leisure battery up to a mains charger. Is there any charger on the market that has a blue connector so I can charge the battery charger up then bring outside and hook into the blue connector at the rear of the van. This will charge the leisure battery.

Dave

Hi there,

My two 60amp Varta leisure batteries are encased in a steel cage under the van. Problem is I can’t get at them. I live in an apartment so can hook up to mains without throwing a cable down to the street which is a non starter.

Is it possibly to buy a leisure battery charger with a 230/240v 3 pin mains connector? I have a female connector at the back of the van for mains hook up.

Thanks
Dave

I’m with @calikev. I’m afraid. Totally confused.
Are you planning on removing the batteries to charge in the apartment?

Basically I can’t hook the camper leisure battery up to a mains charger. Is there any charger on the market that has a blue connector so I can charge the battery charger up then bring outside and hook into the blue connector at the rear of the van. This will charge the leisure battery.

Dave

Obviously physics/electrics is not your strong point.
A battery charger is basically a smart transformer that converts Mains 240v to a variable 12 to 14v that will Charge a 12v Battery. It has to be kept plugged into the Mains 240v whilst charging a battery.

Maybe he means something like the starter batteries that some of us take along to jump start a dead battery, but using it to charge the leisure batteries. I don’t know of any such device.

Fitting a Solar Power Panel of 100 to 200 w capacity should keep the Leisure Batteries charged to 100% during winter.

Unfortunately I can’t remove the leisure battery. Too hard to get at. Don’t have the option of hooking camper up to mains to charge the leisure battery as I live in an apartment. What’s the alternative options for charging the leisure battery?

Unfortunately I can’t remove the leisure battery. Too hard to get at. Don’t have the option of hooking camper up to mains to charge the leisure battery as I live in an apartment. What’s the alternative options for charging the leisure battery?

I am in the same boat as I live in a flat. I do travel a lot in my Beach, so until now, no problems with the leisure battery, but as soon as I can I will be installing a solar panel from @rodgerdonahue.

I am in the same boat as I live in a flat. I do travel a lot in my Beach, so until now, no problems with the leisure battery, but as soon as I can I will be installing a solar panel from @rodgerdonahue.

Where is @rodgerdonahue based??

2007 1.9 TDI VW T30 Pop Top

Have a look at post#19

Have a look at post#19

That’s a real coincidence!!

If not Solar then go camping once a month on Mains Hookup for 24 hrs .:thumb

If not Solar then go camping once a month on Mains Hookup for 24 hrs .:thumb
Some of us Beach owners do not have mains hookup installed, maybe it's standard in UK but not in other markets. Mine is a German van. We are never told by dealers to hook up once a month. My single 2014 leisure battery is still going strong.

Some of us Beach owners do not have mains hookup installed, maybe it's standard in UK but not in other markets. Mine is a German van. We are never told by dealers to hook up once a month. My single 2014 leisure battery is still going strong.

I drive the van for almost 2 hours 5 days a week pretty much. Would that help?

So how do you charge your battery if you don’t hook it up?