Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery charging

Thanks for this. Would you happen to be able to take a photo of the battery, inverter and charger all connected to each other. Can’t really picture the set up in my head!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I‘m away for the weekend, Monday evening I can take and post the pics if you are still interested.

Hi there,

My two 60amp Varta leisure batteries are encased in a steel cage under the van. Problem is I can’t get at them. I live in an apartment so can hook up to mains without throwing a cable down to the street which is a non starter.

Is it possibly to buy a leisure battery charger with a 230/240v 3 pin mains connector? I have a female connector at the back of the van for mains hook up.

Thanks
Dave

Buy solar panels from Rodger , and your batteries are always charged

Fitting a Solar Power Panel of 100 to 200 w capacity should keep the Leisure Batteries charged to 100% during winter.
Roger at
Where is @rodgerdonahue based??

He’s down Taunton way. I’ve got one of his solar panels; never need to hook up to mains. The fitting kit comes with step by step illustrated instructions. Thanks @rogerdono
and much lighter to carry. And you can carry it with you when camping off grid.
Not sure though how effective it will be in winter or with a covered sky/rain. And to charge the batteries properly avoiding currents too high in voltage and the correct Ah through the last charge stages you'll still need a very good regulator. Provided it can produce enough power in winter, it could work, but a proper set up will cost more than a charger + battery+inverter. As usual pros and cons of one system vs another..
Roger Donohue is your man! Easy to follow illustrated instructions and I’m not a handyman. Never needed the electric hook up. Thanks Roger!

I'd like to come back to this thread and update it. My 20kg "portable" battery+inverter solution remains valid, after a winter spent carrying the battery up and down the flat, you end up in spring with huge biceps or a displaced disk on your spine.
So i had a look again at @WelshGas post, since he's been around Calis way longer than me, and I must admit I like his solution (solar panel) better. Got fed up of carrying the battery up and down the flat and an additional problem was that leaving the tailgate slightly open in winter in the evening, you get humidity in, an additional problem to address.
I will need to wash the Cali often at the petrol station in winter to get rid of the salt, and I didn't like the idea of puncturing the hose that contains the tailgate wires due to warranty.
So a fixed solar panel on the roof wasn't for me despite its many advantages.
I got a portable, foldable 120w panel, which i leave behind the windscreen, hooked to the front LB under the seat.
Welshgas was right, it does charge the LB even in winter and a much more practical solution.

I'd like to come back to this thread and update it. My 20kg "portable" battery+inverter solution remains valid, after a winter spent carrying the battery up and down the flat, you end up in spring with huge biceps or a displaced disk on your spine.
So i had a look again at @WelshGas post, since he's been around Calis way longer than me, and I must admit I like his solution (solar panel) better. Got fed up of carrying the battery up and down the flat and an additional problem was that leaving the tailgate slightly open in winter in the evening, you get humidity in, an additional problem to address.
I will need to wash the Cali often at the petrol station in winter to get rid of the salt, and I didn't like the idea of puncturing the hose that contains the tailgate wires due to warranty.
So a fixed solar panel on the roof wasn't for me despite its many advantages.
I got a portable, foldable 120w panel, which i leave behind the windscreen, hooked to the front LB under the seat.
Welshgas was right, it does charge the LB even in winter and a much more practical solution.

Can you take a pic so I can see? I still don’t have a solution and my flipping battery is going flat as I live in a flat so can’t get power down to it!!

Can you take a pic so I can see? I still don’t have a solution and my flipping battery is going flat as I live in a flat so can’t get power down to it!!

That's how it looks like. It's from a company called offgridtec, it's a foldable 120W panel, linked to a Victron 75/15 Mppt charger.

20200220_084246.jpg

Brilliant thanks a lot. So how long do you leave in the window for ? Was it expensive??

It was 400€ including the charger. I leave it always there, unless i use the van many times a day. But it takes 30sec to fold away or 30 sec to put on.

It was 400€ including the charger. I leave it always there, unless i use the van many times a day. But it takes 30sec to fold away or 30 sec to put on.
Got to this from your link on another thread. I’ve been wondering what to use to charge my Eriba battery when at the storage facility (as an alternative to taking it out and charging at home). This could provide a solution for that, and be used when camping for agility (no hook up) and also in the impending Beach. Thanks for the post.

could you show some photos, where you run the cable please ?

could you show some photos, where you run the cable please ?
I have attached the a cable with an anderson plug to the front battery. Straight forward, positive to posive of the battery, negative to negative. I don't have a photo as the cable runs under the rubber battery cover under the left seat and it ends at the front, near the lever to adjust the seat position back and forward. The metal frame of the under seat has some small holes, I used a zip tie to fix the anderson plug there. Then I can connect the anderson plug from the MPPT to this plug under the seat.
The cable from the panel to the mppt is just laid on the floor when the panel is in used and the Cali parked. When I need to use the Cali, I fold the panel first, then disconnect the cable from the panel to the MPPT. The panel has a in built pouch to store the cable when not in use.