Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How are folk living in flats charging their leisure batteries?

Muchos04

Muchos04

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi there,
Just wondering how folk living in flats charging their leisure batteries? I’m finding it tricky to be honest and I’m told the batteries need a 230v mains hook up at least monthly.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,
Just wondering how folk living in flats charging their leisure batteries? I’m finding it tricky to be honest and I’m told the batteries need a 230v mains hook up at least monthly.

Dave

Or a Solar panel setup.

Don't worry about it. I almost never bother to top up our batteries on 240v between drives (it gets driven somewhere around once a week normally but not infrequently the van has been left a month or more) and our leisure batteries have lasted five years so far without any apparent detriment.

If there is parking near the flats you may find a point you can plug into with some negotiation which is what I did.

Mike

Thanks all. From what I’ve read you’d need to drive a hell of a lot to charge the leisure batteries given most charge will go to the vehicle battery if radio on, ac on etc. I’ll probably just try and plug in for 12hr once a month.

If there is parking near the flats you may find a point you can plug into with some negotiation which is what I did.

Mike

Do mean there is some public points to plug into??

Driving will not charge the batteries 100% , better to use hook-up once a month to keep the batteries in shape. You cloud try lowering a cable from your flat groundlevel , or ask someone in a groundlevelfat to use his power , using a device to see howmuch power used you could pay them...

Go to your nearest camp site, bung them a few quid while you hook it up for a day and go walking :thumb

Thanks all. From what I’ve read you’d need to drive a hell of a lot to charge the leisure batteries given most charge will go to the vehicle battery if radio on, ac on etc. I’ll probably just try and plug in for 12hr once a month.

I wouldn't assume that at all. The Cali alternator is I think 250 amp output (maybe someone can confirm that). You'll only consume about 40 amps max when driving about even with the lights on. That leaves plenty to charge both the main vehicle batteries and the leisure batts, pretty quickly every time you drive the van.

Even though it's true that the alternator will only bring the leisure batts to 80% charge, that's enough for several days parked up with no hook-up.

In my experience this really is a non-issue.

Had the same problem. So i was charging a 120Ah (20 Kg) battery in the flat and bringing it down to the Cali , connect an inverter to it, and plug the van into the inverter connected to the battery. Usually the inverter would cut off after 3-4 hrs therefore I had to repeat the process for three to four times, until the display would show 13.1 V with 0.1 A coming in.
It works, but you need invest 400 quid for the extra battery, inverter and charger.
After 8 months I got fed up of bringing up and down the flat the 20 kg Battery and the inverter, although i developed strong biceps in the process.
Now I have a portable, foldable 120w solar panel with the mppt victron 75/15 charger connectet via Anderson plug to the front L battery. the panel is layed on the dash against the windscreen. Now the leisure batteries are topped up once a day with no effort.

Had the same problem. So i was charging a 120Ah (20 Kg) battery in the flat and bringing it down to the Cali , connect an inverter to it, and plug the van into the inverter connected to the battery. Usually the inverter would cut off after 3-4 hrs therefore I had to repeat the process for three to four times, until the display would show 13.1 V with 0.1 A coming in.
It works, but you need invest 400 quid for the extra battery, inverter and charger.
After 8 months I got fed up of bringing up and down the flat the 20 kg Battery and the inverter, although i developed strong biceps in the process.
Now I have a portable, foldable 120w solar panel with the mppt victron 75/15 charger connectet via Anderson plug to the front L battery. the panel is layed on the dash against the windscreen. Now the leisure batteries are topped up once a day with no effort.

This sounds like a great idea. Was it hard to set up?

This sounds like a great idea. Was it hard to set up?

Two 50cm long and 6mm^2 thick wires, one for pos+ and one for neg-, with a ring terminal on one side to attach to each pole of the front battery. The other end of the wire both into an Anderson plug SB50. Permanent hot connector. I then connect the mppt victron charger to this terminal.

Two 50cm long and 6mm^2 thick wires, one for pos+ and one for neg-, with a ring terminal on one side to attach to each pole of the front battery. The other end of the wire both into an Anderson plug SB50. Permanent hot connector. I then connect the mppt victron charger to this terminal.

So do you have to leave your window or bonnet open to connect to battery?

I know you kindly showed me a picture of the solar power panel a while back and to me your idea sounds like the best way of doing it for my circumstances I suspect which is similar. I thought about the pure sine inverter option but I think you answered that one for me!

We've had the same issue, we live in a first floor flat and the van just wasn't getting used. I took it on a blast around the City ring road once a week (first run I had everything that would consume power off). It's topped the battery up, albeit not as much as if it was plugged in.

I've got an elaborate plan to lower a cable from the balcony and plug it in, though I'd rather take it to a site and have a wee holiday instead :cool:

Driving is all you need to do from my experience so far.
My understanding is that driving the T6 only tops the leisure battery(ies) and engine battery to ~80%, regenerative braking tops the engine battery to 100%. Hook-up once a month tops the leisure battery to 100% and keeps that part of the battery going.

This may be woefully inaccurate or simplistic, but is why I understand topping to 100% by solar or hook-up is advisable.

Last edited:
I used to run an extension lead from the communal socket (with permission -once a month) to the van in the basement car park, no one cared as it’s probably 10pence or so to top up the last 20%. Now I have solar on the roof but parked in basement doesn’t get much sun .

Pre solar, whenever I visited my dad I’d park on his drive and hook up to the garage socket which meant I could skip the ‘basement routine’. Maybe you could do this with someone you know well enough to ask and buy them a few beers in return?

On the flipside you’ll be seeing whoever it is once a month so pick someone you love spending time with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the sounds of that. Don’t need a full solar package and that would take the hassle out of charging up for me.

Mike

Back