Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery not Charging

C

chrispoucher

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello, complete newbies here. We have picked up a California Ocean rental today and driven down to the Cotswolds however the leisure battery has not been charging from the alternator and now we have hooked up to electric on site the battery is still showing as empty. Any ideas? As stated this is our very first experience with a California so might be missing something. Thanks

Hello, complete newbies here. We have picked up a California Ocean rental today and driven down to the Cotswolds however the leisure battery has not been charging from the alternator and now we have hooked up to electric on site the battery is still showing as empty. Any ideas? As stated this is our very first experience with a California so might be missing something. Thanks
Which year California do you have, and is there a Voltage shown on the Control Panel screen?

It’s a 2022 California Ocean. The orange cable is lit up on the panel. As we were driving down it was showing a Voltage and Ampage however it was showing 0 hours charge.

There is also an error message on the panel relating to the pop top however it is working when the engine is running

There is also an error message on the panel relating to the pop top however it is working when the engine is running
You need to reset the Control Panel, by removing the 4 fuses in the Dashboard fuse box to the lower right of the steering wheel. Wait 30 seconds then plug back in.

IMG_2156.jpeg

You need to reset the Control Panel, by removing the 4 fuses in the Dashboard fuse box to the lower right of the steering wheel. Wait 30 seconds then plug back in.

View attachment 109341

Thank you will try this in the morning, do you know if this should this solve the battery issue also?

Thank you will try this in the morning, do you know if this should this solve the battery issue also?
Unlike previous models the Control Panel on the T6.1 doesn't just monitor it actively controls so a reset may sort everything out.

View attachment 109341

Thank you @WeshGas for this. Sorted my issue where we had to leave our van for 2.5 months and came back to it with all batteries dead flat. AA/VW Assist man who helped jump start said we might need a new engine battery. Looking at the forum contributions I see we should have plugged the van into mains at least once a month for 12-24 hours. Unfortunately the closest electricity point is about 30m away and we’d need to call in a monthly favour as I’m out of the country for several months at a time. Disconnecting batteries also doesn’t sound like a great option (would be good to keep alarm system).
What do others do who need to leave their van for 2-3 months?
Thanks all.

Thank you @WeshGas for this. Sorted my issue where we had to leave our van for 2.5 months and came back to it with all batteries dead flat. AA/VW Assist man who helped jump start said we might need a new engine battery. Looking at the forum contributions I see we should have plugged the van into mains at least once a month for 12-24 hours. Unfortunately the closest electricity point is about 30m away and we’d need to call in a monthly favour as I’m out of the country for several months at a time. Disconnecting batteries also doesn’t sound like a great option (would be good to keep alarm system).
Thanks all.
Solar power will charge all 3 batteries.
Or a 30m EHU lead and a timer.

Thanks all.

If parked outside, solar will keep you topped up. Otherwise EHU with plug timer.

Back