Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle Battery not charged on EHU

Are you able to get to the connections under here from under the front of the seat?
View attachment 83171
@Loz
I have had another go at this black box. I can pull it it of its holder but it seems to be a sealed unit, with limited movement so cannot check underneath. It does seem to be very hot to touch.

@Loz
I have had another go at this black box. I can pull it it of its holder but it seems to be a sealed unit, with limited movement so cannot check underneath. It does seem to be very hot to touch.
What was the outcome?

The van went into the local vw dealer on the 24th November last year and I got the van back last week. The master tech said there were three issues which caused a delay in solving the problems. The first was the delay in getting advice from VWCS and Germany. Secondly a broken connection in the cable between the leisure and vehicle batteries. The last was the software installed for the overhead display was for a Cali with two leisure batteries not a Beach.
Not had a chance for a run out yet. All ok !! Fingers crossed.

PS. I am stil seeking a part number from the back of a 2020/21 Beach supplement.

Hi all, any updates on the above convo? Something I also experienced.

I posted about a very similar problem in the summer, I have a 2017 Cali beach. I did a load of investigation myself and found that I had a split charge relay set up under the passenger seat. There was a cable heading towards the bulkhead but it was not connected to the starter and also no connected to the large sized fuse bank under the starter battery. It also never became live so I assumed, either it had been disconnected accidentally in some manifold work that was done before I owned it or it was never intended to be connected. I couldn't find the other end of the cable on the engine bay.

So it appears my starter and leisure batteries where only connected by the 12v Ignition live cable which feeds the split charge relay which would very very slowly trickle charge the leisure from the starter. I have since added a feed and Ctek d250se.

I hope this helps.

Do these cables drain the battery if plugged in even if no phone is attached?
Any USB charger plugged into a 12v socket will drain the Leisure or Engine battery, whichever battery powers them, whether there is a lead plugged in or not, UNLESS the USB charger can be switched OFF or the power supply is Ignition ON only.
Some newer built in USB sockets are only switched on when a cable is plugged in.

Any USB charger plugged into a 12v socket will drain the Leisure or Engine battery, whichever battery powers them, whether there is a lead plugged in or not, UNLESS the USB charger can be switched OFF or the power supply is Ignition ON only.
Some newer built in USB sockets are only switched on when a cable is plugged in.
The power draw is tiny, so not worth worrying about.

The power draw is tiny, so not worth worrying about.
True, but more than capable of flattening a battery depending on its status and how long it is left without driving or plugging into EHU.
Not everyone drives their vehicle regularly .

Back