Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling chocks

John Richards

John Richards

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, has anyone got any inspired suggestions of where to store levelling chocks in the Cali?
Keep your rude answers to yourselves please!

In the gap beside the fold down table.

Is that clean enough:thumb

In the Ski locker?
Between the under seat drawer and kitchen unit. Plastic panel, pull up and forwards to lift out.

Mine slide lengthways (from the rear) into the gap between the bench seat and the cupboard doors. I have Fiamma Jumbo ramps, stored in the Fiamma bag, but they just slide in the gap leaving the boot free for my boxes.

It's the thin end of the "wedge" when people start using double entendres :D. We should "level up" and "rise" to the occasion :)

And whatever you do, when you are levelling up, don't say there's a slope in the Cali, you know what happened to Clarkson. (I had never heard this term before, but I lead a sheltered life.)

Looks like everyone is "inclined" to stick 'em in the same place - tailor made for a pair! Although my missus always complains they jam the sliding table. But then again, she is always complaining (good job she doesn't read this forum ... hang on, may be she looking over my shoulder as I type ... :Nailbiting)

Can anyone else "ramp" up the puns? :confused:

It's a slippery slope...
Well it is if like us you don't have leveling blocks :)

It's a slippery slope...
Well it is if like us you don't have leveling blocks :)
o_O Somewhat surprised by that. I thought everybody used blocks.

Do you always manage to find a level pitch or do you just accept that sometimes your head will be a few inches lower than your feet (hard to sleep like that in my experience).

Just got back from 18 night Cali- sleeping on a trip to Norway ,
Used my levelblocks twice , when Cali is "fairly" straight levelled i don't bother using them for one night sleepover.
When on site for more nights it can be more usefull to get it more perfect :thumb

Do you always manage to find a level pitch or do you just accept that sometimes your head will be a few inches lower than your feet (hard to sleep like that in my experience).

We have never had any and never felt the need, you can always get it somewhere near enough and the ramps in our minds take up a lot of precious space. You can always sleep the other way round.

Got levelling blocks but never had to use them yet.

I guess it depends how fussy you are about sleeping level and whether you mind your cups sliding across the table and the contents of your pans running to one side.

Often see tents pitched up on slopes and I don't know how they can sleep or cook in them! But they don't seem to mind.

You can usually get the van fairly level by juggling it about, there are often bumps and hollows that can be utililised to dip a wheel into or raise it up. But if you carry blocks it can give you more choice about where you can park up.

Usually get pretty level pitches, often call ahead and ask for one. If we get a bit of a slope usually I try and park across the slope. If we can't do that we get the front higher than the back (son sleeps upstairs head to front) then use two pillows head towards the back. If it got really sloped we would sleep the other way around. We like to keep things simple.

Clean them and slide them into the chairs in the tailgate.
That's a good idea - I am about to buy some levelers, ahead of a trip to the Alps (where I feel we might need them..). Which ones do you have that fit in the tailgate chair compartment?

That's a good idea - I am about to buy some levelers, ahead of a trip to the Alps (where I feel we might need them..). Which ones do you have that fit in the tailgate chair compartment?
I have the yellow mid size Fiamma sloping ones
and they live in a bin bag between the chairs in the boot
hatch.
I like a level frying pan :)
fiamma_level_magnum_97901-05.jpg

Have to agrree with @westfalia (frying pan)just for a one nighter sleep you can do without them when parked on a slope but once you start putting things on the table and pots on the stove you better make sure the Cali is levelled .
Ours sit in the rear in a box together with shoes ....i like to store them within' hands reach ....first out on site and last in....
Also lightweight stuff (like these shocks) as far possible to the rear , heavy stuff (bottles wine,...) closer to the center of the verhicle....clever thinking !

Last edited:
It's the thin end of the "wedge" when people start using double entendres :D. We should "level up" and "rise" to the occasion :)

And whatever you do, when you are levelling up, don't say there's a slope in the Cali, you know what happened to Clarkson. (I had never heard this term before, but I lead a sheltered life.)

Looks like everyone is "inclined" to stick 'em in the same place - tailor made for a pair! Although my missus always complains they jam the sliding table. But then again, she is always complaining (good job she doesn't read this forum ... hang on, may be she looking over my shoulder as I type ... :Nailbiting)

Can anyone else "ramp" up the puns? :confused:
My vans chock full of stuff but I'm a level headed guy. Pitch in with anymore. That's the spirit...

Mine go sideways under the bench seat with all the power leads awning tiedown .mallet and the other hard camping equipment

Oooh!.....Geometry! Embedded in my youth as a Regt. Surveyor R.A. We measured angles & Beaings in 'Mils' = 6400 in a circle. Used Log Tables & Slide rules, Sin < Cos< Tan < of Sight.....Etc

Last edited:
Back