Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling issue

Where are you camping? Ben Nevis?
I can’t remember the last time I used our chocks. We only carry 2.
Maybe use them once a year if we want a particular view and need to point one way. I often find rotating the front wheels deals with unlevel ground. Each to their own.

Hello we are looking for some advice please? We use Thule levelling chocks; no issues with getting the van level but even though we leave it either in 1st or reverse (depending on slope), when we remove the handbrake in order to turn the front seat, the van invariably runs off the chocks. What do people do to stop this please?

Thanks
use small wheel chocks1624030143670.png

That is so old fashioned, save your £1.79 and get a T6.1 , it has a built in level in the overhead control panel.
Save your money and use the leveller in your phone

Save your money and use the leveller in your phone
Where do you put your phone / spirit level?

There’s nowhere level to put one that you can see from the drivers seat.

middle of the van floor?! (I wasn’t looking at it whilst moving)

With this app "Niveleur Camper" you place your mobile phone wherever you want. Choose the location you like best, even if it is not horizontal.
All you have then to do is calibrate it when the Cali is on a horizontal surface.
20210618_210634.png

Interesting, though their video doesn't appear to play and neither does the Buy option.
Replacing the handbrake lever and seat base seems like overkill to me for a very occasional problem. I’d also imagine the insurance company would need to be notified of such a modification.

In our T5, the only spot I found to be level is the slide-out ashtray (where the cigarette lighter is). You can see it from either front seat. But undoubtedly this is differen tin the T6 and T6.1

I always use little chocks as I prefer a very slightly front up position, so rotating the seat would be a bit scary without them. Bought them after staying on a very terraced (I think CMC) site where a roll would have been a total disaster. iPhone ‘Measure’ app which same with my iPhone XR helps get the level (with a bit of front up) I want.

We use the mini chocks with the big chocks. Actually we don't need to now as our new van is automatic so rolling back is not a problem.
For checking if you're level, you don't need any fancy equipment, just place something that can roll (pencil, lipstick, bottle) on top of the kitchen glass top & see if it rolls.

I think the point here is ”convenience”. I.e., driving up to the pitch, choose the exact parking point/direction for best view, sun direction etc. and then conveniently determine if we are level, if not which wheel(s) needs a ramp and how far up the ramp, remaining on the driver seat all the time, like a pro.
So we need a reliable (digital)spirit level visible from the driver seat. You are only allowed to adjust your ramps once When you take the out. You level on the first attemp, without going from seat to kitchen 5 times faffing around with pencils, builder levels etc.
Right at the first attempt. No doubt the big white owner on the pitch next to you is watching you with a grin, waiting for you to fail.
This is key. Download the app if you don’t have a T6.1 or you CU is playing funny as usual.

iPhone 5 had one but not iPhone 8!? No compass either. It’s a shame because it was v useful.
Think the compass/level app disappeared with IOS 13 update. Go to the App Store and download Measure app to restore the level function.

measure app

D0A1E083-1AD4-4ED9-A061-6F0CECED9878.jpeg

A1D1C1C5-6560-4FC4-A6E5-0A0E6A90EB07.png

I’m at IOS14.6 and the Measure/Level App is still there.

View attachment 80290
The issue was that the level feature was in the compass app prior to iOS 12.
Depending on age of phone and when updates were applied by the user, they will have lost the level function in compass but not received the measure app utility at the iOS update above ios12, Hence @Lambeth Cali post

My post was for those who were affected and missing the measure app who wanted to restore the level utility.

Thanks
This is the gold standard app for van levelling!
94585B48-23E0-418A-A9BF-D09F1273B5CC.png
9FB38C9C-4D0E-419C-B26A-A6777CD761B2.jpeg
Great!

Hello we are looking for some advice please? We use Thule levelling chocks; no issues with getting the van level but even though we leave it either in 1st or reverse (depending on slope), when we remove the handbrake in order to turn the front seat, the van invariably runs off the chocks. What do people do to stop this please?

Thanks
Level remote is also a pretty good app1B77A2C5-427A-4D39-A60B-CCEBA21EAD64.jpeg

7E9A2425-D285-4C65-A0DE-AF21061E19C8.jpeg

E508A0E3-2279-46F1-813C-6031B403AB9A.png

Back