Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling issue

Ian Brown

Ian Brown

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello we are looking for some advice please? We use Thule levelling chocks; no issues with getting the van level but even though we leave it either in 1st or reverse (depending on slope), when we remove the handbrake in order to turn the front seat, the van invariably runs off the chocks. What do people do to stop this please?

Thanks

The only method I have found is to go higher on the ramp and expect it to drop back when you release the handbrake and before the gear catches it,. Ours is DSG and does the same in park runs back about half a level on the ramps

The only method I have found is to go higher on the ramp and expect it to drop back when you release the handbrake and before the gear catches it,. Ours is DSG and does the same in park runs back about half a level on the ramps

^ This

Terrible design by VW though

Ours runs back in steps but will come right off the chocks of not stopped . Doesn't matter if it's in 1st or reverse, it's the same.

Now that I would like to see ?
You probably need to have long legs. Sit on the inner edge of the passenger seat, and get everything ready for the rotation (seat forward, backrest tilted etc.)
Then press the brake pedal, release handbrake, quickly spin the seat and get the handbrake back on.

It can be a difficult balancing act getting close to the top of the chocks.

A couple of years back we arrived at a festival and started setting up - we managed to overshoot the top of the chocks - this caused the shallow end of one of them to flip up such that it shattered the plastic under-body protection and then wedged itself between the bottom of the van and the ground.

Probably very entertaining for all the nearby festival goers.

I had to bodge the bottom of the van back together with Duck Tape to get us home then an expensive trip to the dealer to get it fixed.

So I no longer strive for perfectly level.

I park so that the foot end of the bed is lower or level. Anything else and the faffing about is just not worth it.

Thats fine if there's only 2 of you, we sleep 3 or 4 up. 2 up top head to front & 1 or 2 downstairs head to rear. So for us its important to be level.

You probably need to have long legs. Sit on the inner edge of the passenger seat, and get everything ready for the rotation (seat forward, backrest tilted etc.)
Then press the brake pedal, release handbrake, quickly spin the seat and get the handbrake back on.
Or just get someone else to press the brake pedal.

These can be fitted, at a cost. Have never had an issue personally, DSG holds it fine.

I think this is a really good question and wonder why I haven't asked this ;-) Am also annoyed by this. But next time will try and se eif it's possible to somehow keep a foot on the brake pedal.

I'm tall enough to press the brake pedal while rotating the seat. However, chocks under the wheels that aren't on the ramps would do the job for you...

Always park on a flat bit??
0D0EED26-E37E-44E8-A208-7DB0014B9DE1.jpeg
I have this sitting on the floor at end of bench seat right next to door.

At this point I'm thankful to have a LHD Cali so I don't have to go through this problem so often!

At this point I'm thankful to have a LHD Cali so I don't have to go through this problem so often!
yes. The Cali was designed to better work as LHD. I actually never turn the driving (left) seat, so for me it's never an issue.

I find these do the trick as they stop you rolling back.

1C5D2DED-1F6D-40E8-9824-14D9A5FD27B0.jpeg

Back