Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling ramps and chocks

AgentSmith

VIP Member
As a new Cali owner (I wish I'd bought one years ago) I've realised that the number one. must have accessory is chocks. Obvious when you think about it, but I rarely think.

Basically, the first time you camp you'll find that the site is not level. Guaranteed. Without chocks you're in for an uncomfortable night's sleep (and a bad back in the morning). With chocks you're fine. One additional benefit, each time you come to leave you can happily announce "chocks away".

Top tip - when you come to use your chocks, put a couple of centimetres of water in the sink and use it as a spirit level. Easy and very effective.

:D

Re: Must have accessory

Either that or wine. Our Cali always seems to be level (enough..)

I have a free level app on my iPhone which appears to work well when placed in the tray on the dash :thumb

I think two sets might be needed, or some of those drive-up stepped ones. We were on a lovely terraced site in Much Wenlock in June. Had to drive the front wheels up the levelling blocks. But then releasing the handbrake to turn the seat round caused the van to move off the blocks! And with the seat turned round you can't drive it back up! Even putting it in gear didn't really help. Classic Catch 22 situation...
Stepped drive=up blocks might help and I'll put the standard ramp ones behind the rear wheels.

Keith

not really used my chocks over the years ...just go with the flow or park on level ground :D

Had my Cali 11 months & not needed or used levelling ramps yet.

I bought some when we got our bus but they've stayed exactly where I first put them. :rofl

Only would use if it was really bad :)

Interesting I had assumed they would be essential.

Old caravan days as a kid maybe...

Deffo worth having in the Cali if it is to much of a slope then you'll kick yourself ..:)

We use milenco triple levelling ramps. You still need to chock a wheel to swivel the drivers seat. Just find a brick or log.

Use ours (Thule) most times we camp otherwise the poor kids end up crumpled in a heap at one end/side of the upstairs bed :lol:

I use an iPhone App leveller - works fine.

Only swivel passenger seat and push drivers forward ....I am slightly lazy .. Lol

Back