Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling Ramps

Only used them once, on a steepish slope and then it felt weird, like the van was on stilettos. Made sure I chocked the other wheels with stones, but it still didn't feel very secure (even though it probably was).

Yep have read the for and against arguments and like most things there are two camps, at least I promise to post again if I haven't used them and not to post if I do. I'll give it a year. I also promise to not go looking for an excuse to use them.

And it's a very nice bag.

@T6 CFO, It's now been a year since you've not posted so it looks like you've used them :) You did promise. We're contemplating getting some and this thread came up with a search.

..message ends..

I use mine on all the dodgy sites I stay on. only thing is when I take the handbrake off to swivel the drivers seat .....and yes....in gear.....the bloody thing rolls off them. it's a fine art getting that right

@T6 CFO, It's now been a year since you've not posted so it looks like you've used them :) You did promise. We're contemplating getting some and this thread came up with a search.

..message ends..
Yep they've been taken out of the nice bag they come in and been driven onto on several occasions. As we intend to be off piste whenever possible I anticipate they will be used most of the time. Except when a quick getaway might be required.
Triple milenco once are large but store ok in the spot next to the bench.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VMYP2S/?tag=eliteelect-21

Mike

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm sensitive to sleeping level - or just pick bad pitches - but I use my chocks nearly every time for sleeping, often only one or two notches up the ramp & often different heights between wheels (the real pro move... :Grin)

Not hard to step on the brake, put back in P & reapply handbrake?

Black plastic Thule in a black & green bag. Mine lie down perfectly in the soft spot between the front seats whilst not in use.

Took my levelling ramps out of the back while clearing it out for the mechanic to deal with the brake light. Not sure I'll put them back as I've had them 14 months and not used them.

Ours live in the gap down the side of the. bench seat. I think I had them once or twice last year but not at all this year. As long as we are not head down we're not too bothered about even a moderate slope. More of an issue for cooking than sleeping.

Our experience of campsites in France, Corsica, Italy, Germany and Belgium on our trip was that they make much more effort to provide level pitches than typical U.K. Campsites.

We hardly use (obce this year so far) them and the sleep in a nice red/black bag between bench and table.

We were in the didn't need them camp with our T5 .. But have now changed our minds and purchased some off the club website and have used them every camp so far on our new T6✌

I thought I'd try to be scientific and put some numbers to this :)

Checking photos, we've used our ramps at 11 of the 17 places where we've spent nights since we got our Cali in March.

We're typically staying on smaller, less manicured sites. And we do sleep better with the van level - not least as I don't end up sliding across to squash the wife ;-)

We're happy we got them. They definitely let us pick spots that wouldn't be viable otherwise. Popping my iPhone on the floor and launching the spirit level app is now part of the pitch-up process!

We've got the Fiamma Level Ups and find they fit perfectly in the carry bag in the bench seat drawer with plenty of space in front for something else.

I'm sure many of you have better uses for the bench drawer but ours is usually obstructed by the leg of an ISOFIX car seat base so it's the perfect spot for the lesser used item. Glad they're there as currently in use!

Yep have read the for and against arguments and like most things there are two camps, at least I promise to post again if I haven't used them and not to post if I do. I'll give it a year. I also promise to not go looking for an excuse to use them.

And it's a very nice bag.
So, Did you use them?

I am going on a 2 month tour and checked opinions on the forum to see if I should invest and welcome your experience.

So, Did you use them?

I am going on a 2 month tour and checked opinions on the forum to see if I should invest and welcome your experience.

Yep basically as per post 29 on this thread.
Problem with all these issues are it comes down to many factors. We tend to have plenty of room as there are only two of us, no dogs awnings children etc.
So, I’ve got room so I take them. I used them on a number of occasions on two particular sites I got the pitch with the best view on a slope.
I would have been fine without them but I didn’t need to be.

Mike

This might sound odd...?
But rarely use them when we wild camp. Strangely enough we use them almost every time we pitch at a campsite...?

Stored with the chairs in carrier bags

95C5CA87-8DA9-4D45-BA1A-806DFDA24C5B.jpeg

This might sound odd...?
But rarely use them when we wild camp. Strangely enough we use them almost every time we pitch at a campsite...?

View attachment 32583

I can see that. Much the same. If I’m wild camping I don’t really want to be up on ramps and you can pick your spot. I found I used them quite a few times on Aires.

Nice spot for them.

Mike

Love that, thanks!

We use ours about 80% of the time, and I have no idea how anyone boils a large pan of pasta in any safety without having the van level?!

That said, the Tefal pans are very slippy, but even if they weren't I'm not sure I would sleep ok if we were on a slope...

Used them 4 times in 3 years, normally in woodland campsites. Can normally find a position where the Bubbleometer is within limits.

Never used them in four years, sold them still in the packet, then found I needed them two weeks ago :sad

We use them most of the time. The campsites where we go are the smallest possible and we put ourselves where there are the least people. These places are not often flat and it's perfect for us. Nevertheless, in wild camping no levelers, nothing outside, roof down and California in the direction of departure.

Camping in Dambach /North Alsace
1504976245611.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the sites I use regularly slopes to the side, so I use them both on one side only just to stop the saucepans slipping on the hob.

We use them most of the time. The campsites where we go are the smallest possible and we put ourselves where there are the least people. These places are not often flat and it's perfect for us. Nevertheless, in wild camping no levelers, nothing outside, roof down and California in the direction of departure.

Camping in Dambach /North Alsace
View attachment 32645
Hi Simon, what Levellers are these?

Back