Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LHD VW Ocean purchase in UK

Mark Masters

Mark Masters

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I was hoping to purchase a new LHD VW California Ocean in the UK , for intermittent travels in Europe and North Africa over the next few years,but it seems that this is impossible.My research indicates that to get new or near new LHD vehicle I will have to buy in Europe. Can anyone with some expert knowledge tell me if I can buy a LHD vehicle in Europe and then bring it to the UK to register , pay VAT, and insure . As I only speak English, and have friends and relatives in the UK ,I can easily arrange to park it up for the times that I , or my family ,am not using it. It would be so much easier if I could register and insure the vehicle in the UK rather than the hassle of arranging all that paperwork in Europe in a language I do not comprehend.
If anyone has any useful tips , or can guide me thru the process , (if it is possible to achieve, )I would be very grateful.
I am a resident of New Zealand, and wish to get LHD as most of my travelling will be done in Europe.

As you are going to do some travelling in Europe, you could learn some new languages and then purchase in the country of your choice.

As you are going to do some travelling in Europe, you could learn some new languages and then purchase in the country of your choice.
Yes I had thought about that but languages are not my strong suit; I learnt some French about 60 years ago at school so I can understand a French menu and that is about it.

There are models in Germany that you cannot buy in the UK. I forget its name but there is a very nice White/Black special model. Euro prices should be competitive. We bought our first large Motorhome in Belgium which always seems to have cheap deals too.

Is it worth talking to some of the hire companies that advertise on the forum? Maybe they could look after and rent out your Cali when you are not using it? They may be able to assist with advice when buying it too?

This makes little sense. Buying in Europe means you’ll pay normal local price then once it’s a LHD vehicle in the UK it’ll loose value. LHD isn’t everyone’s ideal config.

LHD 4 motion for sale on eBay. I love LHD but don’t have it anymore. No problem driving on uk roads.
Good luck

I was hoping to purchase a new LHD VW California Ocean in the UK , for intermittent travels in Europe and North Africa over the next few years,but it seems that this is impossible.My research indicates that to get new or near new LHD vehicle I will have to buy in Europe. Can anyone with some expert knowledge tell me if I can buy a LHD vehicle in Europe and then bring it to the UK to register , pay VAT, and insure . As I only speak English, and have friends and relatives in the UK ,I can easily arrange to park it up for the times that I , or my family ,am not using it. It would be so much easier if I could register and insure the vehicle in the UK rather than the hassle of arranging all that paperwork in Europe in a language I do not comprehend.
If anyone has any useful tips , or can guide me thru the process , (if it is possible to achieve, )I would be very grateful.
I am a resident of New Zealand, and wish to get LHD as most of my travelling will be done in Europe.
I found that driving RHD in Europe to be fine, most of the time you are looking over the tops of the cars in front and the fact that the sliding door is on the LHD side makes it even more straight forward. Resale would also be easier and possibly more rewarding in the UK.

Buying one in Germany is easy enough.
Registering a LHD in the UK is also easy enough, i´ve done it loads of times.

The tricky part is having full insurance when you drive it from Germany to the UK.
The export german number plates only cover 3rd party insurance, but i think it is
possible to get them upgraded at a cost.

It would also be possible to buy the vehicle then once you have the paperwork, register it
in the UK and drive it on UK plates.
I´m not sure how you could register the vehicle in the UK as you´re not a resident,
it may be easier if one of your family was the registered keeper.
But, yes it´s all doable.
Sounds like a great plan.

Hi Mark, tried to send you a PM but it says I can’t message you. Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a resident of Spain and have a LHD Ocean. Prices here are cheaper than the UK, but the standard vehicle and available options are different. This also applies to other EU countries. I looked at a personal import but decided against it. I found that German & French vehicles were (in general) more expensive than Spain. Import rules and taxes vary from country to country, I think it would be difficult to buy in Spain for export to the UK as Spanish reg's are complicated and the spanish always want their pound of flesh (taxes) For example, the primary language of all the homogolation documents will be in german, they are then translated in an approved manner to the appropriate language. It is possible to get these translations in the correct language, but I don't know how much they would cost for the UK as the anomaly of the vehicle being LHD sort of throws a spanner in the works. As for transport, have you enquired about the vehicle being transported on a trailer to the UK? For me, I went around in circles for nearly 18 months and in the end, the cheapest option was to buy a new vehicle from a Spanish VW dealer. VW & the EU don't make it easy to circumvent their established systems.

I bought in Germany. Once you’ve found a suitable dealer You have to supply your passport and UK address so that you buy the car VAT free in Germany and pay the VAT in the uk when you get here.

The dealer can arrange export insurance and transit plates but that’s only 3rd party so you can obtain fully comp insurance from www.deckungskarten.eu at a price - €500 for a month but it’s fully comp in the uk too so you don’t have to go through the pain of UK insurance companies insuring VIN numbers etc.

When it’s here you need confirmation from a garage that the car has: permanently displayed mph (you can program this yourself with a Carista + £30),
RH or dual rear fog lamps
UK compliant headlamps

if you spec LED headlamps these last two items should be uk compliant without expensive mods(check out the ‘Edition’ models) as led models have dual rear fogs and switchable headlamps (travel mode)
You send the paperwork from the garage with your certificate of conformity to the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) who take a week to issue a Cert. of Mutual Recognition.

The certificate of M.R. and other paperwork gets sent by you to the DVLA who will know if the VAT has been paid or not. All being well you will have a registration in around 2 weeks later if they aren’t busy.

Apply online in advance for a couple of NEW VEHICLE IMPORT PACKS from the DVLA website so you have it ready plus a spare when the time comes.

I hope this helps. I’m happy with mine and have a 5yr warranty (extra) which VW uk have already verified as on their system etc. Also comes with perpetual European roadside recovery which is funded by your VW services but not sure how that works for Cars serviced at foreign dealers so looking into it. If I can help with any more info etc please feel free to ask or send a pm. I have the details of 2 German dealers who speak good English.
Kind regards and happy hunting .
Stu

Hi Mark
Have you seen the LHD 2016 California on Ebay. The mileage is a bit high but it might be worth a look.
Mike

Hi Mark, tried to send you a PM but it says I can’t message you. Stu

Try rmmasters@xtra.co.nz to send me a message.Would like to know more about Carista. Do VW Cali Ocean 2018 halogen lights and foglights qualify for the UK regulations , when registering a LHD in the UK?

Look at mobile.de. lots of lhd vw oceans for sale. Buying in Germany is easy. Insurance to get you home is set up by dealers to meet your needs. Getting uk reg is also easy. Come sell time, take it back to Germany. Better deals to be had in Europe then in the uk.F

Try rmmasters@xtra.co.nz to send me a message.Would like to know more about Carista. Do VW Cali Ocean 2018 halogen lights and foglights qualify for the UK regulations , when registering a LHD in the UK?
Halogen headlights don't qualify. Foglights easily adjusted.

Hi Mark, I don't know the spec of the halogen headlights as I have LEDs. The Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) states that the following is acceptable, so if Halogens have 'travel mode' they may be ok: '
Original factory fitted headlights that are, through a standard feature of the vehicle, adjustable so that the beam can be changed from right dipping to left dipping'

Their requirements for obtaining a Certificate of Mutual Recognition are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...cars-commission-notice-mutual-recognition.pdf

It seems that LED tail light T6s have a rear fog lamp on both sides, which is acceptable. Non LEDs, I don't know but perhaps some other members could tell you?

Carista is a wireless dongle you can plug into the OBD socket under the dash and, with the Carista mobile app you can access the menus for the vehicle's multi function display in order to change the digital display between the dials to display MPH, permanently. That way you have KHM on the analogue dial and MPH on the digital readout. I bought mine on Amazon for £32 and there is a choice of subscriptions which start at around £7 I believe. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YVHGTBM/?tag=eliteelect-21

I see it's now £15.99 so that's not annoying! :headbang:headbang:headbang

I second what @frenchie says re www.Mobile.de this is where I found my dealer. I've used Mobile.de to buy cars in Germany and sell them back to Germany. You have exchange rate risk during your ownership of course but - what could possibly go wrong!?!? :(
Stu

The simplest thing to do would be to buy a RHD Cali in the UK. I have for many years driven a RHD car in Europe with no problems. I’m not sure but I can see you running into problems with insurance.

Hi Mark
Have you seen the LHD 2016 California on Ebay. The mileage is a bit high but it might be worth a look.
Mike
Thanks. Yes I saw that one but mileage a bit high for me .Probably a very good van for someone though.

Hope all goes ok whatever way you choose to buy. Remember however that most people in Europe speak English, it’s only us in this country that don’t bother (me included I’ll confess) to make the effort to speak their language. You’ll probably have no or little issues finding an English speaker to guide you through buying in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought and I’m not sure if this is an issue but I remember some years ago a friend bought a Ford Fiesta in Spain I think and brought it to uk as was cheaper. However about 4 years later the floor rusted through, no under seal as not required in countries with good weather but in Scotland well you can guess!!

Vw I would like to think will be of a good build quality but if it’s an area they can save money on they might be tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help guys. Have made a deposit on a 2 tone Ocean,4WD,204,lots of bells and whistles and it will be looked after and stored in Europe when we are not using it .
Watch out for a Blue and White model somewhere in Spain or Portugal to Morocco later this year.It will have a kiwi on the back of it.
What are the best maps ( paper ones ) to use in the above mentioned countries. The van has GPS but I like to have a bit of paper to look at as well.!!Showing my age here I guess.

Thanks everyone for your help.
We have managed to get our dream machine in Holland/Belgium and will be over in Mid May to collect and start out travels.It is blue and white, 4WD,LHD, 204 engine with lots of bells and whistles.

Back