Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Little DIYs and hacks

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
There are so many fantastic modifications and Cali hacks in the forums, but what little hacks or makes have you done to ease life in such a small space?

Kitchen towel. You don’t need a fancy dispenser. I used 2 lids from Innocent juice bottles and a shoelace, to keep the tube round and allow it to flow, but without going mad . A simple solution to 2 annoying problems.

DD7BABAA-9B03-4186-91BE-2AEFB7615FE1.jpeg

This is what I did:
  • Made a hole in the centre top of the lids with an 11mm knitting needle
  • Cut 4 slits down the sides of the lids (to ease pushing them in , but maintain a snug fit)
  • Pushed a lid into each end of the tube
  • Threaded the shoelace through and tied (knot/bow can be inside the tube).
88ACCFE1-3B65-4026-8219-576A7D76D8C8.jpeg

At the moment it’s just hanging down from the kitchen-side seat headrest but I think I’d like it lower with some sort of box above it. Need to fix the box!!

E60D40E2-386A-4DBB-A869-6292915D50DA.jpeg

The Ikea Sunnersta hooks are hanging from the pocket for the loo/nose blowing roll.

Last edited:
Kitchen towel. You don’t need a fancy dispenser. I used 2 lids from Innocent juice bottles and a shoelace, to keep the tube round and allow it to flow, but without going mad . A simple solution to 2 annoying problems.

View attachment 41543

This is what I did:
  • Made a hole in the centre top of the lids with an 11mm knitting needle
  • Cut 4 slits down the sides of the lids (to ease pushing them in , but maintain a snug fit)
  • Pushed a lid into each end of the tube
  • Threaded the shoelace through and tied (knot/bow can be inside the tube).
View attachment 41544

At the moment it’s just hanging down from the kitchen-side seat headrest but I think I’d like it lower with some sort of box above it. Need to fix the box!!

View attachment 41545
Great Cali hack, but then again, the price of two innocent smoothie bottles would be the same as a fancy dispenser ;)

But, Mark, as fancy as they may be you don’t get any free apple juice in a kitchen roll dispenser. These lids were heading for landfill, so double bonus. :thumb
, very true ;)

I find the small bowl and lack of draining board makes cleaning dishes while wild camping a challenge. In the summer I use outside but when the temperatures are below zero I was looking for a solution for inside. Here it is.
An old draining rack.
25811839-140E-4E5A-951D-9841ECB2C029.jpeg

79093B0E-0898-4EE2-AA1A-7196E53711EC.jpeg

79FEE950-3D2B-4E95-9606-F3F079832EE4.jpeg

3C005AE5-6036-434D-895C-3D8201695341.jpeg

8A47128D-0F77-481E-BCF0-063EFB9B7FD9.jpeg

7755053F-22A6-4969-8633-BA5F348EE5BB.jpeg

Cut down to size and rubber replaced makes a perfect fit drainer.

I then use a collapsible rectangular bowl that fits in the cabinets below the cooker and also fits my largest frying pan.
4E04164C-EDC8-4D1D-9F7E-7DECB750361F.jpeg

F96758A0-17B3-4342-97D5-6F52A62006DF.jpeg
This serves inside the van or obviously outside. And there is now a large surface area for drip drying into the sink.

EA7E5BE2-7160-4BFD-9E39-77D67ACD657C.jpeg
The rack still fits on top of the existing bowl.

78419DA0-D59C-4069-87E1-1A4F8B4FD689.jpeg
And the lid closes

09C8ABB5-4AC7-4BA9-A379-6D2378A5CACC.jpeg
The rack doubles as a heat resistant surface

05602056-D539-41EE-B505-9348A60DC375.jpeg
It rolls up when not in use

F3F38F01-4576-4020-8DFF-DA8D432B5DFF.jpeg
This lid will also close too.

Maybe this belongs here....

There are so many fantastic modifications and Cali hacks in the forums, but what little hacks or makes have you done to ease life in such a small space?
What a great idea. Come on people let’s see what you’ve got!

I find the small bowl and lack of draining board makes cleaning dishes while wild camping a challenge. In the summer I use outside but when the temperatures are below zero I was looking for a solution for inside. Here it is.
An old draining rack.
View attachment 43316

View attachment 43319

View attachment 43317

View attachment 43318

View attachment 43320

View attachment 43321

Hi C4x4. I love your hack and have 2 questions:
  1. The tool you cut it with, is it a power hack saw type of thing?
  2. Could this be done by hand?

The sliding door of the wardrobe is prone to damage if the wardrobe is stuffed with bedding etc, so I made my DIY version of the metal protector I’ve seen available on the Continent. Made of MDF it’s fixed with Velcro into the corner of the wardrobe so that it covers the tambor door when it’s opened.7302F7FD-0FA0-4027-9376-DC8DC5EE1677.jpeg7657FD4B-58F3-4B7C-9541-811E3F935D2C.jpeg

Hi C4x4. I love your hack and have 2 questions:
  1. The tool you cut it with, is it a power hack saw type of thing?
  2. Could this be done by hand?
1. Yes it is a Milwaukee portable band saw and is total overkill for this task.

2. A metal hacksaw or mini hacksaw will do the job just fine. The rods (on mine) were hollow stainless steel tubes. There was a sharp edge after the cut but the rubber totally covers it, just be careful when your handling them.

It’s a fun little project. Good luck.

Hi ArunAlec, interesting to see your door protection. I would be interested to make the same but our Cali is in Switzerland at the moment and my tools in the UK....
Any idea where you saw the metal protection available please?

Hi ArunAlec, interesting to see your door protection. I would be interested to make the same but our Cali is in Switzerland at the moment and my tools in the UK....
Any idea where you saw the metal protection available please?
I think it might have been a photo that @hotel california posted a year or so back.

CCN in Amersfoort sell a metal protection for that sliding tambour door . Got a picture posted somewhere . Look at theire website , it’s probaly on there.

Edit : look here for the pictures

Last edited:
1. Yes it is a Milwaukee portable band saw and is total overkill for this task.

2. A metal hacksaw or mini hacksaw will do the job just fine. The rods (on mine) were hollow stainless steel tubes. There was a sharp edge after the cut but the rubber totally covers it, just be careful when your handling them.

It’s a fun little project. Good luck.
Cheers C4x4. You can file down the “raw”edges I should think. :)

, very true ;)
In the UK Lush are now recycling plastic bottle tops. Just rinse them and take them to your local shop.
I am guessing the same will be true of Lush shops abroad too.

Alan

An old draining rack.
View attachment 43316

View attachment 43319

View attachment 43317

View attachment 43318

View attachment 43320

View attachment 43321

Great idea, where does this come from originally plse

Hi Lorri,
If I understood your question correctly you are asking where the rack came from originally.
Having seen this post I found some today on Amazon using the search “roll up drying rack”. Mine should be arriving over the weekend and I will give it a try....

I do not have photo's of this in my van, but I use this for the same purpose.

I also stores on the top of the gas rings, with a bit of shelf liner on top to stop it rattling against the glas when it is shut.

I do not have photo's of this in my van, but I use this for the same purpose.

View attachment 43381

I also stores on the top of the gas rings, with a bit of shelf liner on top to stop it rattling against the glas when it is shut.
I think I have one of those lying around somewhere, like everything that I have just lying around I can never find it when I need/want it!.

Did you cut yours down or modify it in any way, Autumn?

An old draining rack.
View attachment 43316

View attachment 43319

View attachment 43317

View attachment 43318

View attachment 43320

View attachment 43321

Not a hack, but I bought a silicone mat. It is floppy , rolls up and can be stored in the sink. Can be placed on the lid for the hob and drip into the sink. If I need the hob, it could be placed on the fridge and the water drip into the hob area (won’t be much and it’s only water). If I need the hob and fridge . . . . . .

I could use the over sink idea and the silicone one when I have dinner parties ;). (Not being sarcastic, just a thought that popped into my head and made me chuckle, my mind always wanders when I see a good hack).

I think I have one of those lying around somewhere, like everything that I have just lying around I can never find it when I need/want it!.

Did you cut yours down or modify it in any way, Autumn?

No this does not need modifying in any way, but if you light the gas while it is still on the hob, the kettle boils but the rubber feet melt and you spend some time wondering where the smell is coming from, or so I have found anyway!!