Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Living area carpets (and boot for that matter)

I've given up.

Albert came back from France today looking as smartly attractive as a coal powered tramp steamer.

We had fun though, been to places lots of other campers can't reach, and the mud on the carpets is from some fine french vineyards.

Tomorrow he will get lots of TLC and be gleaming and ready to go again.
Do VW make coal powered tramp steamers? I wonder how they get them through the emission tests?

Use smokeless fuel during the rolling sea test...I'll get my coat:sorry

Excuse me for asking a daft question but why do you want to cover the rails? It only means that you have to faff around uncovering them every time you want to use a downstairs bed or even just have a bit more boot space.
I bought the carpets you recommended Jen and I am very pleased with them. Although I ordered the absolute cheapest ones, they fit beautifully, don't move about and don't curl up.

I bought the carpets you recommended Jen and I am very pleased with them. Although I ordered the absolute cheapest ones, they fit beautifully, don't move about and don't curl up.

Splendid :)

OK ..

Granny tip #63

To protect the rails with an easily placed and removed cover:

Microfibre cleaning cloths. These here are cheap, two cover a rail perfectly, and if you have tailored carpets such as those from QTM then they stick to that carpet like Velcro.

I use them as a doormat. Once walked on they stay in place until lifted. Then, rinsed out, one can then clean the vehicle with them before going home. Simple, cheap, versatile and effective.

Does anyone know where I can order carpets for a T6 Ocean for the kitchen and boot??

Does anyone know where I can order carpets for a T6 Ocean for the kitchen and boot??

Any mats made for T5 will fit a T6 ;)
So all the tips and links on mats and carpets on the forum in the T5 section are good for you.

Time to resurrect this thread methinks. Having read through this and other mat / carpet threads it seems that the two primary options for mats are QTM or Brandrup. Brandrup are a bit more expensive but it is possible to fit / remove the fish seat without removing the carpet. But QTM get lots of good reviews (as long as you are sure about your colour choice) and who knows when a Brandrup order might arrive at the moment?

I will get a QTM for the cab. I'm not sure what is best to do for the living area though. Carpet is nice when it is dry but won't it get wet and smelly? I didn't use anything in the back on our first trip last weekend - the floor got fairly mucky but cleaned up a treat using a microfibre cloth and soapy water. But I am concerned about marking the rails and crud going down them - so perhaps a one-piece light-weight chuck in the washing machine option would work well. Would this be the magic carpet from Wilkinson that has been referred to?

What about carpet colour. The Ocean has a light grey (Moonrock ?) carpet and I have Alcantara (love it) which is a similar colour. A mid or dark grey would contrast nicely but would that make it seem too dark?

Decisions decisions...................................

I have QTM in the back and love it.

I don't lose sleep about the rails. I've seen plenty of venerable Cali's around with exposed rails and seats that still move, if they get bunged up , ok, they get cleaned out, but otherwise the thing is there to be used not fussed over. I find the carpets easy to clean and easy to brush,

Advantage with exposed rails .... not having to roll back or remove coverings when you want to move the seat, which I do most nights that I use the van.

I have midnight blue in mine with uncovered grey alcantara. Looks nice but shows every dog hair.

Time to resurrect this thread methinks. Having read through this and other mat / carpet threads it seems that the two primary options for mats are QTM or Brandrup. Brandrup are a bit more expensive but it is possible to fit / remove the fish seat without removing the carpet. But QTM get lots of good reviews (as long as you are sure about your colour choice) and who knows when a Brandrup order might arrive at the moment?

I will get a QTM for the cab. I'm not sure what is best to do for the living area though. Carpet is nice when it is dry but won't it get wet and smelly? I didn't use anything in the back on our first trip last weekend - the floor got fairly mucky but cleaned up a treat using a microfibre cloth and soapy water. But I am concerned about marking the rails and crud going down them - so perhaps a one-piece light-weight chuck in the washing machine option would work well. Would this be the magic carpet from Wilkinson that has been referred to?

What about carpet colour. The Ocean has a light grey (Moonrock ?) carpet and I have Alcantara (love it) which is a similar colour. A mid or dark grey would contrast nicely but would that make it seem too dark?

Made a decision a few days ago and gone for the Brandrup in Moonrock Grey. There are just the two of us responsible adults, no kids and no pets so will give it a go. If we spill to much wine or it doesn't work out then it will no doubt be the QTM carpets next time in a mid grey and we will have learnt a lesson. Time will tell. On order and they are in a race with VW.

Nb: Monster mats to cover the fronts for practical reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Reactions: DM

I'm leaning towards the Brandrup carpet in the living area in Titanium Black. We have a 1yr old and so I think we'll need the darker shade. I found this photo on the Brandrup site, I think the colour works quite well with the lighter upholstery.

velour-carpet-for-passenger-compartment-with-3-rails-titanium-black-.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Brandrup carpet in the living area in Titanium Black. We have a 1yr old and so I think we'll need the darker shade. I found this photo on the Brandrup site, I think the colour works quite well with the lighter upholstery.

velour-carpet-for-passenger-compartment-with-3-rails-titanium-black-.jpg
I opted for QTM Mats inclusive of steps. Very pleased with the results and quality.

• Thanks

Don't forget that camping.california.de also do mats, I can recommend these. I really like the metal foot plate on the driver side mat which prevents excess wear from the heel of shoe on the accelerator. It might just be me but this is always the area that get a high amount of wear. The mats are a good fit too.

• Thanks
Hi all,

We have a starlight blue T6 ocean, a white/brown dog and a ginger dog that moults a lot - any recommendations on carpet colour? Was thinking QTM anthracite but I'm wondering if it will be so dark as to show everything?

Thanks all
Tigs

Dark mats sadly do show everything.

I have midnight blue and constantly brushing footsteps away... I only have to wake from drive into van and my footmarks are everywhere.

Dark mats sadly do show everything.

I have midnight blue and constantly brushing footsteps away... I only have to wake from drive into van and my footmarks are everywhere.

I'm paralysed by indecision. Is anyone able to recommend a colour of mat for the living area that they feel adequately hides some of the day-to-day grime?

I'm waiting for the club carpets to come on stream. I like the multi-colour choice.

I'm all ears too.... Mid grey doesn't look dark enough to deal with mud, alcantara perhaps too dark... What works? (hopefully not brown!)

I've ordered the Moonrock Grey from Brandrup. Wish me luck on the colour and actually getting them before the Cali. About 9 weeks and counting.
I am going to treat them myself before fitting.

Mike

Made a carpet today from a 2x1m piece that cost 8euros.
Living area and boot floor. Funny how 2x1m size is exactly enough for 2 seater beach.
For that money I can change it every season. And pretty fast to cut with a footprint now.
Need to make photos with good light.
Can't decide how to make a cover over the flexiboard. I removed the mattress because boxes go over the top as well.

We've got a light grey Brandrup carpet in the middle, bought secondhand (and grubby) off eBay for £50 its now done 2 seasons of muddy football footballers, one major incident with a puddle of oil in a car park that I stepped in then climbed in the van, a couple of spilt drinks etc etc

I gave it a quick shampoo with some Autoglym last weekend & it still looks like new. The fit is perfect, the bench draw opens over it without catching what more could you ask for?

We did try for a week or so a black bootmat that came with our mazda 5 but had never been used, strangely the black looked dirtier after just a couple of days than the brandrup ever did so its gone back in the loft.

We've got a light grey Brandrup carpet in the middle, bought secondhand (and grubby) off eBay for £50 its now done 2 seasons of muddy football footballers, one major incident with a puddle of oil in a car park that I stepped in then climbed in the van, a couple of spilt drinks etc etc

I gave it a quick shampoo with some Autoglym last weekend & it still looks like new. The fit is perfect, the bench draw opens over it without catching what more could you ask for?

We did try for a week or so a black bootmat that came with our mazda 5 but had never been used, strangely the black looked dirtier after just a couple of days than the brandrup ever did so its gone back in the loft.
That's good to hear as I've got Moonrock Grey on order. I've found the same as you that lighter carpets often show the dirt less. Will treat it before it goes down but good to know they come up well with a clean.

Mike