Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lock Question..

hewittd

hewittd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Not long after we bought our Cali, my bag was stolen and I thought my car keys were in it. As precaution, we ordered up a set of replacement locks and keys..the whole shebang.

Not long after, the key reappeared. So, I called VW to cancel the order - but was told it's too late and it can't be cancelled. I argued for a bit, but in the end just tried to forget about it and threw the set into a corner of the garage.

My question is, is this set in anyway uniquely coded to our car - or can it be use on any T5/T6?

Thanks,

David,

Hi yes the immobilizer chip is uniquely coded to your vehicle once once new keys are coded the old keys are forgotten by your vehicle however the chip in the key cannot be used on any other vehicle.

Many thanks for the replies. Since the old keys were found, we never had to use the new set..which I guess means the new set of keys have never been coded - as we are still using the original ones?

This sounds to me like the replacement set of locks and keys can be resold and then someone else can get the keys coded to their car?

Unfortunately not as the keys would have been partially coded to your vehicle when they were ordered the dealer then completes the coding upon fitting