Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locked keys in van: Warning - easy to do!!!

I got a rigid chipped key made by a local auto locksmith and a spare fob which works exactly like the original fob. Both for less than the cost of a second fob from the dealer.

All good those spare keys but useless once you locked youself out and the key is inside.
I am not sleeping with a spare key arround my neck but if i was to lock myself out say stepping out the Cali going to the campsites toilet in the middle of the night i still can open the door afther undoing four screws using a hidden screwdriver on the verhicle.....
Sorry , not making public where they are hidden but it can easy be done...
I am not paying a locksmid to open a door , also pretty hard contacting a locksmid , standing next to your locked Cali in your underwear without cellphone in the midlle of the night....

Last edited:
All good those spare keys but useless once you locked youself out and the key is inside.
I am not sleeping with a spare key arround my neck but if i was to lock myself out say stepping out the Cali going to the campsites toilet in the middle of the night i still can open the door afther undoing four screws using a hidden screwdriver on the verhicle.....
I am not paying a locksmid to open a door , also pretty hard contacting a locksmid , standing next to your locked Cali in your underwear without cellphone in the midlle of the night....
Snap! Gone down the same route.

Mike

Don't fancy standing out in the rain getting wet and getting my hidden screwdriver to undo 4 screws to get in the self-locking vehicle. No, Surf Key for me when camping.:thumb

Don't fancy standing out in the rain getting wet and getting my hidden screwdriver to undo 4 screws to get in the self-locking vehicle. No, Surf Key for me when camping.:thumb
Never had to use it but...
at least i can acces the Cali without my clothes getting wet ....:bananadance2

When I was in France a couple of weeks ago the campsite held my spare key in their safe. I only did this because I was alone, if i had been with someone else we would each have held a key.

I'd drive off and leave it there. Round my neck or in my pocket is my preferred option.

Surf Key.jpg I was always worried about that. No More though.
The simple solution is to get a surf key made up the cost is next to nothing. It does not start the car just unlocks a door. When I am out especially on a long holiday trip I wear it 24/7 around my neck.
Watch out too if you activate the lock button while the boot is open. The doors will lock and if you are doing something in the boot eg. unloading as soon as you close the boot it will self lock.
Get a Surf Key! you could even secure one somewhere underneath the car if you don't want to wear it. Make sure the metal is not something that will rust.

I have just done the same thing, slept in the van, doors locked, whacked up the heating as I was going to get changed, opened the side door and shut it behind me (to keep the heat in) went to open the boot.....locked....back to the side door....locked. Whole van locked with my keys, purse, phone and cocker spaniel now inside, with the diesel heater on a high setting!! Luckily the AA took it really seriously and saw the danger of a dog being locked inside a hot van and managed to get in and him out within 40 minutes as a priority call out. Surely this is a dangerous system as we could have been in the middle of no-where. Luckily I was at mums so could use her phone but VW please fix this?? Or at least when you buy a new one, pass on this knowledge.

I have just done the same thing, slept in the van, doors locked, whacked up the heating as I was going to get changed, opened the side door and shut it behind me (to keep the heat in) went to open the boot.....locked....back to the side door....locked.
Prior to getting locked out, did you use the key or the driver’s door button to lock the van?

Where can you get a surf key from please?

do VW sell these?

Snap! Gone down the same route.

Mike
Could you possibly PM me with this tip, thanks.

Prevention better than cure come to mind I have a spare key placed on my person at all times and I am not sharing where.

i still can open the door afther undoing four screws using a hidden screwdriver on the verhicle.....
Sorry , not making public where , standing next to your locked Cali in your underwear without cellphone in the midlle of the night....

I have racked my feeble brain for where these 4 screws are and give up!
Likewise, would you PM me with the secret and I promise not to tell.

I have a surf key secreted on my van which would get me out of trouble but 4 screws does sound like much more fun
:cheers

I have racked my feeble brain for where these 4 screws are and give up!
Likewise, would you PM me with the secret and I promise not to tell.

I have a surf key secreted on my van which would get me out of trouble but 4 screws does sound like much more fun
I think he means he undoes 4 screws to access his surf key ... ?

That was definitely lost in translation then, am curious though as my secret place equals key wrapped in heatshrink and cable tied .
perhaps a secret key to unlock a secret screwdriver to access a secret number for a secret combination lock to a secret message saying don't leave the keys in van........

I have just done the same thing, slept in the van, doors locked, whacked up the heating as I was going to get changed, opened the side door and shut it behind me (to keep the heat in) went to open the boot.....locked....back to the side door....locked. Whole van locked with my keys, purse, phone and cocker spaniel now inside, with the diesel heater on a high setting!! Luckily the AA took it really seriously and saw the danger of a dog being locked inside a hot van and managed to get in and him out within 40 minutes as a priority call out. Surely this is a dangerous system as we could have been in the middle of no-where. Luckily I was at mums so could use her phone but VW please fix this?? Or at least when you buy a new one, pass on this knowledge.
Why did you not use the lock/unlock button on the drivers door panel?

At night lock yourselves in using the button on the drivers door. During the night for loo visit, or other external activity, exit van via sliding door (no need to unlock door or van) close door in normal way. Return to van (door will be unlocked), climb in, lock sliding door, go back to bed. No drama.

At night lock yourselves in using the button on the drivers door. During the night for loo visit, or other external activity, exit van via sliding door (no need to unlock door or van) close door in normal way. Return to van (door will be unlocked), climb in, lock sliding door, go back to bed. No drama.
Except "some" accidently press the lock down whilst opening the door and getting out.. slide shut and Duh! your locked out.. (just remember to open the sliding window a bit)

Except "some" accidently press the lock down whilst opening the door and getting out.. slide shut and Duh! your locked out.. (just remember to open the sliding window a bit)
Hmmm......OK I guess it happens.

We always do this but there is the odd occasion where the sliding door will lock itself when it's closed. No idea why and definitely haven't accidentally pressed the lock button on the inside of the door.
So always make sure I'm carrying the key or have one of us remaining in the van.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We always do this but there is the odd occasion where the sliding door will lock itself when it's closed. No idea why and definitely haven't accidentally pressed the lock button on the inside of the door.
So always make sure I'm carrying the key or have one of us remaining in the van.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Good insurance policy. :)