Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

locked out, far from home

If you are not in yet, then a RAC /AA chap using traditional door wedges should be able to make a gap large enough to get a grab in. The hollow springy tube with a retractable claw in it.

yip, when traveling solo I keep the keys in a pocket just in case, its so easy to accidentally press the fob.
It is precisely for this reason that I have activated the siren blips when pressing the fob....2 blips sound when unlocking and 1 blip when locking. It means that I become aware if when placing the key in a pocket, the fob is accidentally activated....I hear the blips. Also when locking, if a door is not fully closed then there are no blips, so I know I need to go around the van to check and close a door. This blip feature was enabled via VCDS.

Driver & passenger side windows are probably quicker to replace, as they are the ones most commonly smashed in car park thefts…so companies such as auto glass etc more likely to stock / source quickly.

For future, suggest getting one of these, put it in a magnetic key case hidden under the van:

I got one at my local locksmith. He ordered a key and then cut it. Will open the van but not start the engine or disable alarm. It was only £16.

Last edited:
Hello @WelshGas I’m sorry, I thought I’d posted the happy news that we were back on the road. If one is not in a rush, there’s always someone who knows someone and we got help from the “go to guy” from the marine chandlery, who happened to have an air wedge. It’s worth noting that the alarm went off, the deadlocks worked (meaning the doors couldn’t be opened by prodding the driver’s door buttons). If the keys had been lost *outside* instead of locked in and visible for fishing them out through the crack in the door things would’ve got seriously expensive. It’s time to get the duplicate replaced! Thanks again for your help.

Hello @WelshGas I’m sorry, I thought I’d posted the happy news that we were back on the road. If one is not in a rush, there’s always someone who knows someone and we got help from the “go to guy” from the marine chandlery, who happened to have an air wedge. It’s worth noting that the alarm went off, the deadlocks worked (meaning the doors couldn’t be opened by prodding the driver’s door buttons). If the keys had been lost *outside* instead of locked in and visible for fishing them out through the crack in the door things would’ve got seriously expensive. It’s time to get the duplicate replaced! Thanks again for your help.
Glad you’re sorted. When I travel I carry a Surf key on a lanyard, 1 remote in the vehicle and 1 on me.
The alarm will sound if I have to use the surf key as it will take a while to get the hidden remote, but that’s a small price to pay.

I don’t suppose the vw app will open the particular model?

Back