Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locked Out on Site

With VAGCOM, carista or obdeleven you can disable the auto relocking. I think this would solve this problem. I have disabled auto-relocking and not experienced the problems described.

I went out today and tested all the permutations for over an hour and my 2016 does not lock again when using the door button and manually opening the sliding door.

The only time I got the doors to lock automatically was when I used the fob to unlock and didn't open a door and using the middle button on the fob to unlock the tailgate and this will lock immediately it is closed, all as designed.

I went out today and tested all the permutations for over an hour and my 2016 does not lock again when using the door button and manually opening the sliding door.

The only time I got the doors to lock automatically was when I used the fob to unlock and didn't open a door and using the middle button on the fob to unlock the tailgate and this will lock immediately it is closed, all as designed.
First you have to have the key on one of the seats, open the fridge and
get yourself a drink, before you open it you´ve forgotten something in the cab
area or you want to sort the music out, you then lean forward and unintentionally
press the key and deadlock the van.

You don´t really notice the van locking because you are too focused on the
drink that you came in to get, sometime later you step out of the van and
close the sliding door.

Thats when you hear the sliding door lock and realise that your key is inside.
Fortunately for me, the sliding window was open a little and i was able to
fish the key out.

I always lock van at night via the drivers door switch. I have often opened side door by pulling handle twice, then shut door. I have never found the door locked upon return. This is on a 2011 SE.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

True, campsites we don't bother, anywhere else and I would probably be uncomfortable with that.
Just had 2 nights at Abbey Wood CMC site and seeing the level of security there made my very conscious of locking up!
8 ft Electric perimeter fence, infrared CCTV along the perimeter and large iron gates that were closed at night. I was fully expecting to see dog patrols!
Having said that its a great site for visiting London.

Hi Loz,
You have perfectly described the only way it should be possible to lock the keys in a Cali as explained to me by Cali Chris when I first bought the van.
I also spoke to Chris at the time (as I bought my Cali from Liverpool) who politely informed me VW say it can't happen. I and others know it can!

I posted this on Sept 20 2016 on the thread "misbehaving Central Locking System"

Hi everybody, can anyone help?

In the summer of 2015 on a site in France got up one morning opened the side door with the handle so leaving all the other doors locked (I had locked the doors the previous night with the button on the drivers door). My wife followed me with two cups of coffee and shut the door. The van locked itself with the key fob inside, Volkswagen say this can’t happen! It did!! The mechanic sent by the European Breakdown cover broke the passenger window to get in the vehicle. This happened again later that week but this time I had the key fob in my pocket so no more broken windows.

This year on a site in Germany I had opened the vehicle using the button on the drivers door, we both got out of the side door and I shut the door behind us. Sat having coffee with the key fob on the table in front of me the van locked itself. The indicators flashed as they would when you lock it using the button on the fob but the fob was on the table. This happened about half a dozen times on this years holiday. Again Volkswagen are saying it can’t happen. Again I am saying it did.

Has anyone else had the same experience or similar with the central locking system misbehaving on their van. It can’t just be one van with this problem.

Thanks.
(Sorry I can't just link to it)

Exactly the same locking process happens with our van. Locked myself out several times but luckily wife was inside.

Hi Loz,
You have perfectly described the only way it should be possible to lock the keys in a Cali as explained to me by Cali Chris when I first bought the van.
I also spoke to Chris at the time (as I bought my Cali from Liverpool) who politely informed me VW say it can't happen. I and others know it can!
I wasn't saying it didn't happen to you, just that on my 2016 Ocean it doesn't happen so nothing further to add.

I have never locked my Van at night as used to be in a tent, is it necessary?
Oh and what is a surf key?

Am I the only one who doesn't bother locking the van whilst we sleep?

No if on a campsite.

Definitely no if my Sister is with me. She needs to be able to open the door to bring me my morning coffee :D

Never locked it anywhere when sleeping in it, but always the two of us. Not to say I never would but if I felt I had to lock myself in then I would go somewhere else. So far so good.

Mike

I have never locked my Van at night as used to be in a tent, is it necessary?
Oh and what is a surf key?
No, not necessary.

A Surf key is a key for your vehicle that has NO electronics in the fob, just the metal key blade. It will open the Drivers Door but not start the vehicle as the Immobiliser remains active. Also the Alarm will sound as that will not be deactivated. You would have to find your proper key and deactivate the alarm using the remote button.
Surf keys should be available from VW based on the VIN number, but expensive.
Timpsons, the key cutters, can supply them according to some members. Or you can get them from other sources/locksmiths etc.

No, not necessary.

A Surf key is a key for your vehicle that has NO electronics in the fob, just the metal key blade. It will open the Drivers Door but not start the vehicle as the Immobiliser remains active. Also the Alarm will sound as that will not be deactivated. You would have to find your proper key and deactivate the alarm using the remote button.
Surf keys should be available from VW based on the VIN number, but expensive.
Timpsons, the key cutters, can supply them according to some members. Or you can get them from other sources/locksmiths etc.

That sums it up. Another solution, especially if you went for the 4 key option is to take one apart and use the blade from that.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just had 2 nights at Abbey Wood CMC site and seeing the level of security there made my very conscious of locking up!
8 ft Electric perimeter fence, infrared CCTV along the perimeter and large iron gates that were closed at night. I was fully expecting to see dog patrols!
Having said that its a great site for visiting London.
Living just 5 miles from that site, and knowing the area well, I’m surprised that that level of security is sufficient. Double 5m high electric fences, with 100 metres of floodlit and mined no-man’s land between, with machine gun posts every 20m on both the inner and outer perimeter fences would seem to be the minimum level of security there.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Living just 5 miles from that site, and knowing the area well, I’m surprised that that level of security is sufficient. Double 5m high electric fences, with 100 metres of floodlit and mined no-man’s land between, with machine gun posts every 20m on both the inner and outer perimeter fences would seem to be the minimum level of security there.

Must admit there were a few "interesting" locals hanging around the shops next to the station!

If you need to remember to put the key round your neck when leaving the Cali , i think it’s way much easyer to remember to push the button on the driversdoor ....
We always use the button on the driversdoor when camped up and leaving the Cali at night to visit the toilet.
We always push the button on the drivers door and open the sliding door - 140/50 nights no trouble! :thumb

Could well be things have been changed on the T6 but my T5 does what he does and others have reported thesame , typical VW ...

I invite you to relocate when we are in Romo. I am really quite curious now!
EDIT: replicate

Last edited:
We do not generally lock ourselves in our van: generally we stay on campsites with a twitchy border collie inside who would bark at a hedgehog snuffling outside.

About half a dozen times the van has locked (and alarm sounded) while we have been inside. I have always attributed this to an accidental fob press in the pocket.

Is this a possible scenario:
- van locked with alarm deactivated
- something pressing against the lock button of the key fob
- sliding door opened with a double pull
- sliding door closed, door locks from key fob

Just a thought.

Last edited:
If the fob had been pressed the van would be deadlocked and pulling the handle would do nothing.
Accidentally pressing it twice would not deadlock but sound alarm instantly when opened.

I always keep the key with me now, pain in the backside. This Surf Key hidden externally seems a good idea and I'll look into that.
If you use a cable tie there are loads of places you can hide a spare key underneath out of sight. Push a piece of tubing over the shaft to keep it clean from road dirt.

If the fob had been pressed the van would be deadlocked and pulling the handle would do nothing.
Accidentally pressing it twice would not deadlock but sound alarm instantly when opened.

Just tried it:
- unlocked van with fob
- opened driver’s door, pressed and held lock fob
- closed driver’s door and locked myself in with driver’s door button
- still holding lock button on fob, exited via sliding door
- van remained unlocked after the sliding door was closed and until I released and repressed lock button on fob

•theory disproved•

I hope no one objects to my idle speculations - but I am now very curious...

Could there be a fault in the driver’s door button. After locking the van with the driver’s door button, the button fails to return to the neutral position, i.e. it remains depressed in the lock position. After opening a door with a double tug the door instantly relocks on being closed?

Just another idle thought...

I hope no one objects to my idle speculations - but I am now very curious...

Could there be a fault in the driver’s door button. After locking the van with the driver’s door button, the button fails to return to the neutral position, i.e. it remains depressed in the lock position. After opening a door with a double tug the door instantly relocks on being closed?

Just another idle thought...

No, keep the theories and experiments coming...... I am VERY curious as never had this problem occur and wish to avoid!!