Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locked Out on Site

sinbad

sinbad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Westafalia club joker
Has this happend to anybody else, Camping out for the second time in the van, locked doors using the button on the drivers side panel at night, got up to visit the loo in the morning pulled side handle door twice to open and off I went, came back from the loo side door locked tight and all other doors. This has not happend before and a nice man from vw assist came, out couldnt pick the lock with the VW tool ( reassuring ) so a trip back to home to pick up the spare and a day wasted.

Been mentiont before on the forum , can happen and not much to do about it , thats the system .
Button on door does a full lock , pulling twice on the sliding door opens it but lock again when closed.
You need to unlock the doors again on the driversdoors when going out ...

Has this happend to anybody else, Camping out for the second time in the van, locked doors using the button on the drivers side panel at night, got up to visit the loo in the morning pulled side handle door twice to open and off I went, came back from the loo side door locked tight and all other doors. This has not happend before and a nice man from vw assist came, out couldnt pick the lock with the VW tool ( reassuring ) so a trip back to home to pick up the spare and a day wasted.

I think you are not the first :)

Pulling on the side door twice overrides the locking system to allow occupants to escape in an emergency without unlocking the vehicle. Close the door and it's back to being locked.

You won't do it again :)

Next time you will have a surf key around your neck, the full set of keys in your hand, unlocked all the doors and left them open "just in case".:shocked

Ah, yes happened to us - however tired to replicate the unintentional locking of the side door several times, but unable to achieve the same situations that locked us out in France.:mad: VW assist were brilliant, and sorted in the hour.

I have spoken to several people at VW, inconsistent replies as to the variable cause!

Now have surf/swim key;)

Last edited:
Same thing happened to us as Andy1150. Same solution always have a spare surf/swim key on me now (wear it as a hippy necklace). Never needed it (yet) but it does provide a level of insurance against being locked out in future.

Happened to us in France last year. I’d taken my kids late night swimming but we only took one towel so my wife kindly brought us two towels and on shutting the side door found it was locked and the keys were inside. Took a while to get help as our phones were also inside and even longer for it to arrive and get us in. We now hide a spare key when on site in case it happens again.

I found if you lock the door on the key fob (by accident) and one of the doors is open or not fully shut the van is not locked- until you close the door then it locks up. So if you leave the fob in the van pop out for a pee close the door with the key inside "click" you are locked out.
that is how it happens on our t5 have not tried it on the t6.

Unless any transporter or variant from 2004 on sees a drivers door signal it will re lock the reason being is that it’s programmed to think you have just opened a door to grab sonthing and forget to re lock it where as if you get in the drivers door the vehicle is programmed to think that your opening the door with the purpose of driving this it does not re lock

Ours has done this but there’s been someone in the van to open the door. But it’s easy to accidentally press down the lock as you shut the door and I put it down to that. Must check out if it is locking on its own .....

Mental note to self. Pack good pyjamas in case we get locked out....

We have (what I think is an excellent place) a surf key hidden externally on the van when camping. Never needed, and now mostly removed, but there if it might be required. The alarm, if set, sounds immediately if the van is opened with the surf key - so you won’t be popular at 3am!

Sadly, for obvious reasons, we cannot share our hiding place!

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Don’t you have the spare key (the one that’s just a blade, no fob) taped to a secret place somewhere under the van for just such emergencies? Obvs not.

.....ah, didn’t see Toms post! Arse!

As with others above I have tried to replicate the locking of the sliding door when exiting with doors locked from inside. I've never been able to replicate it.

This all came to my notice after a couple with a Cali managed to do it next to us on a French Aire.

Rod

I’ve have a surfkey hidden and like @Amarillo , not saying where it is alltough it might be usefull for some of you so it seems....
I’m defo not walking/sleeping whole the time with a key round my neck!
Does any of you take the 2nd key (in the wife’s purse ?)
When we go abroad we take a key each...just in case.

I just checked and ours doesn't lock on it's own.

What is happening is that when you grip the door here to pull
99107848-7C73-4623-A2D8-FCBAEA2EEC16.jpeg

The lock gets pressed down accidentally by your little finger
6F1F2258-2ED4-4ECA-9C55-80BA2598AF62.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
you only need to put it around your neck when you pop out for a rap

If you need to remember to put the key round your neck when leaving the Cali , i think it’s way much easyer to remember to push the button on the driversdoor ....
We always use the button on the driversdoor when camped up and leaving the Cali at night to visit the toilet.

What is a surf key?

Oooh, thats sounded a right pain in the bum experience so tha m you for sharing!! How did you get home to get a key, VW assist?

What is a surf key?

As per above , you can order one at VW also .
A key without the electronic fob ....surfers take it with them in the water ...therefore surf-key
It locks the doors but the verhicle can not be started with this key.

^ It will start the car but you can´t drive far with one cos the
key won´t be relaying info to the ecu.