Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locked out of my T6.1 Coast - a cautionary tale.

I had a surf key cut for a ‘22 Coast at a local car locksmith (Google: autolocksmithnewcastle) (£15 if I remember correctly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 for this guy, if you’re in the Newcastle area. Got one cut for my MY20 Ocean 6.1. Very friendly, and checked it worked on my van parked near the shop.

+1 for this guy, if you’re in the Newcastle area. Got one cut for my MY20 Ocean 6.1. Very friendly, and checked it worked on my van parked near the shop.
Can I ask if he needs to key to copy, or can he cut it from a code? Be plenty of 6.1 owners on here that would go for one mall order, if he could do it without the key?

Can I ask if he needs to key to copy, or can he cut it from a code? Be plenty of 6.1 owners on here that would go for one mall order, if he could do it without the key?
He cut mine manually on a machine like a pantograph, using my key as master. So I doubt he’s got the equipment to do it from the VIN. It’s just a small one man shop.

He needs your key to cut a blank

He needs your key to cut a blank

If he can cut a surf key then surely other auto locksmiths across the country should also be able to. I understood from a key cutter at CamperJam this year, was that the blanks for a t6.1 weren’t yet available? Maybe that’s now changed?

The chap that I got my T5 surf key from (not on eBay anymore) was able to cut mine from a photo of my original key, he also told me the code for the key for any future need. I assume there is a coded pattern that a locksmith is able to identify.

This is a heads up to me to go through the wearying We Connect registration process. At least then I could unlock it with my phone. Oh wait, that’s in the Cali as well…
Surf key sounds a good idea. Tightly around my neck…
This is the answer to those who have the lock/unlock facility by the app. You’ll never be locked out again (as long as you have phone battery, and …. phone signal?)

If he can cut a surf key then surely other auto locksmiths across the country should also be able to. I understood from a key cutter at CamperJam this year, was that the blanks for a t6.1 weren’t yet available? Maybe that’s now changed?

He didn’t use a VW blank to cut my surf key - just a generic blank.

This is the answer to those who have the lock/unlock facility by the app. You’ll never be locked out again (as long as you have phone battery, and …. phone signal?)
You can share WeConnect access with someone .. who can unlock for you, I think

We were locked out of our 2020 T6.1 Coast today and it took VW Assistance (the AA) about 5 hours to get into the vehicle. We’d spent the weekend at the Brecon campsite with both the Coast and our Eriba; I’d had the Cali open for about 30 minutes and as it started to rain I closed the drivers door, tailgate and lastly the side door. On closing this door the Cali locked; both our keys were in the van (plus phones etc.). I did not think that a Cali was supposed to lock if a key was inside, (we didn’t touch the locking buttons on the key fobs). Called VW (Apple Watch outside the Cali!) and the first AA van arrived within 20 minutes, and he couldn’t get in as he did not have the right tools. Second AA van arrived and - they do not have the latest tools from VW to permit them to gain access to a T6.1. The AA guys were brilliant and after some 5 hours they opened the doors, and with virtually no damage. I was gearing up to brick the window to get the keys back. Lesson for us is to ensure we never leave both keys in the van, and organise a spare key location, and AA are speaking with VW to get updated tools. For what it’s worth the AA guys see this scenario all too often (Vehicles locking with the keys inside).
I have just done this… Dis the AA have specific instructions?

AA didn’t have the most current tools (for a T6.1); they only had the T6 variants. As above it took them about 5 hours to get access by applying leverage and force to the drivers door. I always try (now) to ensure I keep my keys on me, if outside the van.

I got a plastic surf key cut and secreted in an always acceptable place.
Everyone's nightmare. I hope @Bredenoord gets sorted, he might update his details and perhaps take up a paid for membership?

After @WelshGas (find via advanced search) helpfully mentioned surf keys a while back I had one surf key made and split another standard key and immobiliser. Both surfs I reduce to the minimum head size which I then drill a 2.5mm hole into. This enables a standard key ring to be inserted which, correctly sized, gives the leverage required to open the door, but keeps the surf small. If keys are inside then you are away with a surf key, but in case keys are lost I have the other immobiliser half in a farraday bag hidden with battery separated inside the van (pretty inaccessible spot, of which there are many).

Upon experiment, I found any correct surf key works with any correct immobiliser.

One surf I carry with housekeys, the other is iridium magnet attached somewhere ...

I imagine the name comes from surfers, perhaps carrying them around their necks on a string.

If you can't find a local locksmith, Matt O'Driscoll aka VWKeyman 07804 753022 has afacebook page and email vwkeyman_@_gmail.com actually vwkeyman@+++++.com (the latter email address may be 'disappeared' by the forum). He copies keys including T6.1 keys (though not T6.1 immobilisers yet) by post. His copy keys come with a large plastic head, but that can be hacksawed-off leaving a pre-drilled surf key.

Last edited:
You can share WeConnect access with someone .. who can unlock for you, I think
If we connect can be shared, I am surprised that VW assist / the AA cannot get get someone at VW HQ to remotely unlock the van.

Even if your phone is locked in the van, you should be able to borrow someone else's, download We connect & use your own login.

I would be trying that before breaking windows.

If we connect can be shared, I am surprised that VW assist / the AA cannot get get someone at VW HQ to remotely unlock the van.

Even if your phone is locked in the van, you should be able to borrow someone else's, download We connect & use your own login.

If it’s a MY21 remote lock/unlock via WeConnect is not supported. MY20 & MY22 yes, MY21 no!!

Just as a heads up, having read this thread I thought I would try unlocking the van in the app - it says I need go through an online ID process before being able to use that feature. Having then initiated that ID process (in the app) the operator said she couldn’t do it now and can I call back later. So a bit of forward planning is required before relying on this feature it seems.

Just as a heads up, having read this thread I thought I would try unlocking the van in the app - it says I need go through an online ID process before being able to use that feature. Having then initiated that ID process (in the app) the operator said she couldn’t do it now and can I call back later. So a bit of forward planning is required before relying on this feature it seems.
Agree - you need a call with a VW rep to complete the ID process - an actual person not an AI bot !!

My experience: forget about we connect at a festival. Typically the local cellular infrastructure won't support your phone or your van and if it does probably not both at the same time.

We were locked out of our 2020 T6.1 Coast today and it took VW Assistance (the AA) about 5 hours to get into the vehicle. We’d spent the weekend at the Brecon campsite with both the Coast and our Eriba; I’d had the Cali open for about 30 minutes and as it started to rain I closed the drivers door, tailgate and lastly the side door. On closing this door the Cali locked; both our keys were in the van (plus phones etc.). I did not think that a Cali was supposed to lock if a key was inside, (we didn’t touch the locking buttons on the key fobs). Called VW (Apple Watch outside the Cali!) and the first AA van arrived within 20 minutes, and he couldn’t get in as he did not have the right tools. Second AA van arrived and - they do not have the latest tools from VW to permit them to gain access to a T6.1. The AA guys were brilliant and after some 5 hours they opened the doors, and with virtually no damage. I was gearing up to brick the window to get the keys back. Lesson for us is to ensure we never leave both keys in the van, and organise a spare key location, and AA are speaking with VW to get updated tools. For what it’s worth the AA guys see this scenario all too often (Vehicles locking with the keys inside).
Yep our second outing In our cali just about to go to bed decided to have a game of cards, needed light, nlso to pulled out the awning closed the side door, bam keys inside, waiting to see if the AA man can get in, luckily the roof up so might have to get through the mesh window

Yep our second outing In our cali just about to go to bed decided to have a game of cards, needed light, nlso to pulled out the awning closed the side door, bam keys inside, waiting to see if the AA man can get in, luckily the roof up so might have to get through the mesh window
Good luck.

Don’t go through the mesh, if you have the panoramic front it is possible to carefully open the zip from the outside.

Don’t go through the mesh, if you have the panoramic front it is possible to carefully open the zip from the outside.
Yes a skewer poked through the opening between the zip pulls will let you create an opening big enough to crawl through.

He asked me to sign a damage waiver as he was going to prize open the door, so I told him to go through the large zip in the roof, which he managed to do, and no damage, but a very unhappy wife, at the time, thunk u need to get a key cut to put somewhere under the van

He asked me to sign a damage waiver as he was going to prize open the door, so I told him to go through the large zip in the roof, which he managed to do, and no damage, but a very unhappy wife, at the time, thunk u need to get a key cut to put somewhere under the van
I have a surf key screwed under my van in a secret place. I would just need a knife or screwdriver and I'm in