Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Longevity of Solar Camper Solutions panels

@Roger Donoghue

I am just about to order 2 panels for 2012 Beach.

- What is your current lead time for supply?
- How easy is it to also allow also charging of the main battery. Does it need a new wire running to the main battery, or, do you connect to an existing one under the passenger seat.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Ours are 10 years old now. Still working very nicely, keeping us off grid for several days in a row. But they were never the thin, flexible, glue-on etc. type. We have the heavy, high (cooling!) solid frame type, as used on yachts. As IBM used to say: "it's not the newest technology, it's reliable technology!" Costed € 800,-, back then.

@Roger Donoghue

- How easy is it to also allow also charging of the main battery. Does it need a new wire running to the main battery, or, do you connect to an existing one under the passenger seat.

Many thanks
I believe you connect to the engine battery via the Split Charge circuitry under the Passenger Seat.

Anyone want to buy a Nokia 3310
Depends on how/where one is travelling. Along the Silk Route, somewhere in Kirgizstan, indeed we’d rather have a dependable 3310 which holds its charge two weeks, than a modern iPhone that doesn’t last a day. Or drive a T3 Syncro, rather than a modern day 4Motion, with its dependency on all kinds of electronics. At home, we prefer the iPhone and the 4Motion.
Each solution its own problem!

Depends on how/where one is travelling. Along the Silk Route, somewhere in Kirgizstan, indeed we’d rather have a dependable 3310 which holds its charge two weeks, than a modern iPhone that doesn’t last a day. Or drive a T3 Syncro, rather than a modern day 4Motion, with its dependency on all kinds of electronics. At home, we prefer the iPhone and the 4Motion.
Each solution its own problem!
How about a Camel train and a crate full of Carrier Pigeons :)

I believe you connect to the engine battery via the Split Charge circuitry under the Passenger Seat.
Cheers, think I have found the thread:

I emailed Roger a few weeks ago but have yet to receive a reply, so will probably just go ahead and order from him. Looks like no need to pull up cab carpet etc to get a feed to the main battery.

I emailed Roger a few weeks ago but have yet to receive a reply, so will probably just go ahead and order from him. Looks like no need to pull up cab carpet etc to get a feed to the main battery.
You don’t need to pull up carpet. You can see in the pic here where I led the cable so there’s a tiny bit showing between the pillar and the seat base.

62A7EED0-61DC-4CBE-A75C-4BBF9E66FD4C.jpeg

35964B58-8D19-401E-91FC-ACCE29B21823.jpeg

@Roger Donoghue

Many thanks
Hi, a few working days from order . Everything is in stock.

- to charge the starter as well you need the Epever Duo. You eitehr tap into the relay under the pass seat, or run the cable on into the bonnet and go direct to the battery.

Pop me a PM with your email address. I reply to all emails - perhaps some got lost when my mail server went down due to being full. I'd like to check to be sure.

R

Mine seems to have failed at 4 years. No complaints, nothing lasts forever. Just ordered a replacement plus an additional panel from Roger. Great response and a pleasure to do business with. @Roger Donoghue