Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

lower tailgate trim access to roller blind tools needed?

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
I need to replace a damaged blind on my T6 and assume I can buy one from VW parts..If I fit it myself, will I need any special trim tools etc or am I being stupid and just take to a dealer to fit?

Hello Birty,
Having just had the top half (window surround trim) of our T6 tailgate trim off, all I can say is it could be an easy job to do. I say could because I don't know how the bottom door card comes off. However, fiddling with mine gave me the opportunity to have a look at how the top half of that door card is constructed and attached.

The very top of the lower door card appears to be a separate moulding behind which is the blind. I am guessing that this can be removed without taking the whole door card off.
20191220_112646.jpg
You can see the joint running along just above the interior light. Push it and you'll find that upper and lower are definately two separate mouldings. At each end edge of the lower trim section just below this joint is a plastic cover which I suspect hides a fixing of some description.
20191220_112636.jpg
I'd be tempted to have a play with it as it looks as if the whole upper section is designed to be removed without the rest of the door card being disturbed. Probably done for ease of maintenance.

The fixings at each end where they join the upper tail gate window surround trim are simple enough. Here are some snaps I took when I took ours apart recently. They come apart very easily.
20191211_182135.jpg
20191211_121711.jpg
Finally, if you decide to have a go, get youself a set of plastic trim tools. They are very cheap, simple to use and are essential if you want to avoid causing any damage to delicate interior trim. There are lots for sale on Ebay.
20191208_111330.jpg
By having a careful go yourself you could save yourself a lot of cash.

Please let us know how you get on as trim removal is always a bit of a mystery and finding out how to do this section would be another piece in the zigsaw. If you do decide to give it a go could you take pictures of the trim fixings etc.

Good luck

Hello Birty,
Having just had the top half (window surround trim) of our T6 tailgate trim off, all I can say is it could be an easy job to do. I say could because I don't know how the bottom door card comes off. However, fiddling with mine gave me the opportunity to have a look at how the top half of that door card is constructed and attached.

The very top of the lower door card appears to be a separate moulding behind which is the blind. I am guessing that this can be removed without taking the whole door card off.
View attachment 53534
You can see the joint running along just above the interior light. Push it and you'll find that upper and lower are definately two separate mouldings. At each end edge of the lower trim section just below this joint is a plastic cover which I suspect hides a fixing of some description.
View attachment 53535
I'd be tempted to have a play with it as it looks as if the whole upper section is designed to be removed without the rest of the door card being disturbed. Probably done for ease of maintenance.

The fixings at each end where they join the upper tail gate window surround trim are simple enough. Here are some snaps I took when I took ours apart recently. They come apart very easily.
View attachment 53536
View attachment 53537
Finally, if you decide to have a go, get youself a set of plastic trim tools. They are very cheap, simple to use and are essential if you want to avoid causing any damage to delicate interior trim. There are lots for sale on Ebay.
View attachment 53538
By having a careful go yourself you could save yourself a lot of cash.

Please let us know how you get on as trim removal is always a bit of a mystery and finding out how to do this section would be another piece in the zigsaw. If you do decide to give it a go could you take pictures of the trim fixings etc.

Good luck
Part ordered from VW now..£148 .. Will have a look if it ever stops raining here, but also the trim kit looks comprehensive.. will source on ebay probable.. ta 4 pics!!

Last edited:
Part ordered from VW now..£148 .. Will have a look if it ever stops raining here, but also the trim kit looks comprehensive.. will source on ebay probable.. ta 4 pics!!
Like me, you probably won't need that many tools but a kit like mine isn't expensive at around £35 and you'll have it for any future jobs.

Thinking about the upper part of the lower trim again, VW appear to have made one or two improvements to the T6 tailgate trim following on from the the T5 and this may be one if them. If this top trim is easily removable then it's almost certainly been done to aid quick access and therefore cheaper repairs to the rear wiper motor and blind etc. No need to remove the entire tailgate door card which I believe is a real PITA.

You'll need an extra pair of hands as the lower panel is a bit unwieldly to lift on and off.

I have done this a few times so not daunted now.

Take your time to find all the various plastic plus and torx screw fittings. Note that there are various sizes of screw and rivet.

I recommend that you completely remove the seat cover and associated trim, before attempting to remove the panel trim.

You'll need an extra pair of hands as the lower panel is a bit unwieldly to lift on and off.

I have done this a few times so not daunted now.

Take your time to find all the various plastic plus and torx screw fittings. Note that there are various sizes of screw and rivet.

I recommend that you completely remove the seat cover and associated trim, before attempting to remove the panel trim.
Hello Alan,
Do you know if it's easy to remove the top of the lower tailgate door card?

I'm unclear which section you are referring to.

The lower plastic trim is one single U shaped item, with the blind mechanism held inside the upper portion.

From what I remember it looked as if the window blind mechanism is held in place with plastic lobs that appeared to have been melted in position.

Then the window blind mechanism has a bolt at either end that secures to a metal bracket attached to the tailgate. These bolts are normally hidden by a plastic bung at either side.

The top of the plastic trim has sprung clips holding it to the tailgate as those you have found in the upper trim.

The lower plastic trim is one single U shaped item, with the blind mechanism held inside the upper portion.

From what I remember it looked as if the window blind mechanism is held in place with plastic lobs that appeared to have been melted in position.

Then the window blind mechanism has a bolt at either end that secures to a metal bracket attached to the tailgate. These bolts are normally hidden by a plastic bung at either side.

The top of the plastic trim has sprung clips holding it to the tailgate as those you have found in the upper trim.
Its gonna be fun... maybe over to you Mr VW !!

The section of trim that I'm talking about is the upper section of the black plastic lower tailgate door card. You can clearly see it in the second photo in post 3 above.

You have answered one question already though. The round plastic cover in the same photo must be the plastic bungs that you refer to in your post (9).

The section of trim that I'm talking about is the upper section of the black plastic lower tailgate door card. You can clearly see it in the second photo in post 3 above.

You have answered one question already though. The round plastic cover in the same photo must be the plastic bungs that you refer to in your post (9).
Hi Boris, yes those are the bungs to access the torx screws that go through metal brackets on the tailgate, and then to the ends of the window blind mechanism.

I do not know if the T6 Ocean is a different design to the T6 Beach, but when I removed the lower panel, it came away complete with the panel you refer to and with the blind mechanism inside.

It is too late for me to have a look now, but I will do in the morning and take a photo for you.

I'll also take a photo of how I installed my rear view camera.

I found it easier to have removed all of the other panel fixings before removing these 2 bolts.

To remove the panel fixings, I let the tailgate rest in its normal open (horizontal position), standing on low steps.

Then I lowered the tailgate and used a bungee in almost the closed position, with me between the rear of the van and the tailgate. As I mentioned before, the panel has a little weight and is rather unwieldly.
Doing it this way the panel is easier to handle whilst the final bolt is removed.

I suggest that you either label the various fixings as you remove them or arrange them for ease of fixing back.

Just an update... Whatever VW charge to change the rear blind it aint enough!!! Let them do it!!! Even once the proper struggle of removing all the tailgate chair storage area without breakage, blood and tears then you have the next major hurdle of stripping the unit down in order to release the blind from the detached tailgate liner.. Then you have to swap over all the individual fixings/clips from old blind to new one ready for rebuild... It is still an ongoing job but after 3 hours yesterday and a further hour today it might just be ready for fitting back to the vanIMG_3727.jpgIMG_3730.jpgIMG_3732.jpgIMG_3734 2.jpgIMG_3735.jpgIMG_3726.jpgIMG_3726.jpgIMG_3727.jpgIMG_3730.jpgIMG_3732.jpgIMG_3734 2.jpgIMG_3735.jpg IMG_3725.jpgIMG_3726.jpg
Also the removal/refit to van is a two man job!!! I am considering staying in bed all day instead of facing the challenge ahead.. I cannot see any way (as yet) of replacing the blind without a major strip down of tailgate lining/storage area.. and you will need a stock of alternative screws cos trust me what come out ain't long enough to go back in!!! We really need to get hold of the VW instructions for this task.. I'm sure that would be a massive help..

@Birty I took mine off to repair a leaking washer pipe, what a bugger of a job. I notice on your panel the blind looks to be a separate fitting to the rear panel, whereas on my cali the blind is what i call hot welded to the plastic panel see poor photo. the blind (top of photo aluminium) is attached to the black plastic
IMG_2522.jpg

@Birty I took mine off to repair a leaking washer pipe, what a bugger of a job. I notice on your panel the blind looks to be a separate fitting to the rear panel, whereas on my cali the blind is what i call hot welded to the plastic panel see poor photo. the blind (top of photo aluminium) is attached to the black plastic
View attachment 53973
yes its a different design on the T6... 3 main components to be separated once removed... Might get chance to put it back together today but what a pig its been! Updates to follow.

yes its a different design on the T6... 3 main components to be separated once removed... Might get chance to put it back together today but what a pig its been! Updates to follow.
Hi Birty,
Having recently removed the upper tailgate trim on our T6 Cali in order to fit a rear camera, I have been wondering how the lower section comes away. The problem that I still have is that I have been unable to satisfactorily refit the joint that exists each side between the lighter upper window surround trim and the darker trim below the rear window. I may have to remove it to correct the problem.

I have studied your photographs and there appears to be three plastic sections to this darker plastic trim. Leaving aside the picnic chair stowage bags, the lower T6 tailgate plastic trim seems to divide as follows:
1. The main section covering the area directly above the picnic chair stowage.
2. The section of plastic trim that fits over the rear windscreen wiper motor and forms the trim panel at the base of the rear window
3. The section that fits in front of the rear blind.
20191220_112646.jpg
20191220_112636.jpg
The second photo clearly shows the three sections.

My question is:
As you having recently removed and disassembled these components, in your opinion, would it be possible to remove the above mentioned trim pieces 2 and 3 without first removing the whole tailgate trim? I've tried to work this out from your snaps but am still in some doubt.

Many thanks,
Paul

P.S Excellent post BTW.

I
Hi Birty,
Having recently removed the upper tailgate trim on our T6 Cali in order to fit a rear camera, I have been wondering how the lower section comes away. The problem that I still have is that I have been unable to satisfactorily refit the joint that exists each side between the lighter upper window surround trim and the darker trim below the rear window. I may have to remove it to correct the problem.

I have studied your photographs and there appears to be three plastic sections to this darker plastic trim. Leaving aside the picnic chair stowage bags, the lower T6 tailgate plastic trim seems to divide as follows:
1. The main section covering the area directly above the picnic chair stowage.
2. The section of plastic trim that fits over the rear windscreen wiper motor and forms the trim panel at the base of the rear window
3. The section that fits in front of the rear blind.
View attachment 53976
View attachment 53977
The second photo clearly shows the three sections.

My question is:
As you having recently removed and disassembled these components, in your opinion, would it be possible to remove the above mentioned trim pieces 2 and 3 without first removing the whole tailgate trim? I've tried to work this out from your snaps but am still in some doubt.

Many thanks,
Paul

P.S Excellent post BTW.
I gotta be honest.. I cant be 100% sure section 2 and 3 will split without removing the whole lot including section 1??? . There are two tiny screw attaching 2 to 1 and without the whole lot removed then I doubt if you can gain access and split them! I have just put it all back together now and not 100% happy with the joints. I cannot see any way of improving them . The spring clips that hold 2 to 3 are just not up to the job and think are designed for factory fitting..Sorry dont answer your question but hoping and praying nothing on that tailgate ever has to be touched again.. Mine already has camera fitted so very happy... IMG_3767.jpgIMG_3766.jpg

I

I gotta be honest.. I cant be 100% sure section 2 and 3 will split without removing the whole lot including section 1??? . There are two tiny screw attaching 2 to 1 and without the whole lot removed then I doubt if you can gain access and split them! I have just put it all back together now and not 100% happy with the joints. I cannot see any way of improving them . The spring clips that hold 2 to 3 are just not up to the job and think are designed for factory fitting..Sorry dont answer your question but hoping and praying nothing on that tailgate ever has to be touched again.. Mine already has camera fitted so very happy... View attachment 53978View attachment 53979
Thanks Birty,
Having studied your previous snaps, I rather suspected as much. I believe the screws you mention are located inside and behind the joint just above the black blanking plug in your latest photos. Two at each end. So it appears that there's no way you could remove them without taking the whole lower door card assembly off.

In that case I think I'll just leave it as it is. You chaps that have done this seem to be in total agreement that it's an awful job.

Thanks again.
Paul

Thanks Birty,
Having studied your previous snaps, I rather suspected as much. I believe the screws you mention are located inside and behind the joint just above the black blanking plug in your latest photos. Two at each end. So it appears that there's no way you could remove them without taking the whole lower door card assembly off.

In that case I think I'll just leave it as it is. You chaps that have done this seem to be in total agreement that it's an awful job.

Thanks again.
Paul
Spot on Borris.. Would love to know what the VW guys do to change a blind... But Im gonna say: Don't change the blind ever! Just sell the van!!!

My rear tailgate blind won't retract any more, and to make matters worse it's a little slack so that when it's hooked onto the plastic hanging bracket, every time the tailgate is raised to get something out of the rear it falls down and whacks me on the head!!

Seems like a nightmare to remove the panels to get access to the blind mechanism to see what's wrong. It doesn't seem possible but any thoughts on how it might be fixed without panel removal?

Other than that I guess I'll just have to wear my cycling helmet every time I open the tailgate :(.

Thanks.

My rear tailgate blind won't retract any more, and to make matters worse it's a little slack so that when it's hooked onto the plastic hanging bracket, every time the tailgate is raised to get something out of the rear it falls down and whacks me on the head!!

Seems like a nightmare to remove the panels to get access to the blind mechanism to see what's wrong. It doesn't seem possible but any thoughts on how it might be fixed without panel removal?

Other than that I guess I'll just have to wear my cycling helmet every time I open the tailgate :(.

Thanks.
Its a painful process getting to it unless someone knows a short cut... even then i dont think the blind cassette can be taken apart? Ask vw for quote first !!

No shortcuts. Not only are there a load of different sized fixings, the panel is quite unwieldly to handle when disassembling and reassembly. You'll need an extra pair of hands.

Could try unwinding the blind fully and allow it to self wind back. See if this makes any difference.

Thanks guys. I'll get a quote from VW.

Maybe the simple curtains you find on conversions are a better bet in the loing term!

Back