Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LV Insurance Again

Thanks just off the phone with Comfort and they seem to have two options 1) Campervan ( with ported policy cover) and 2) Motorhome .. which she said covers Campr

two quotes from Comfort 1) Campervan which has protected policy and 2) Motorhome which doesn’t (said Campervan’s included in this !
She did mention the 48 hr rule !
I'm probably being thick but I don't understand what Comfort are saying.

I'm probably being thick but I don't understand what Comfort are saying.
I am rather confused too. Initially they quoted saying Motorhome policy (which includes VW Cal ocean) then when I asked about ‘protected policy’ they said “oh that’s a different one “Campervan policy”!... they vary in cost by approx £50 the latter being dearer. Also the personal item cover is £1000 with Campervan but £5000 with Motorhome.. work that one out !!!

I am rather confused too. Initially they quoted saying Motorhome policy (which includes VW Cal ocean) then when I asked about ‘protected policy’ they said “oh that’s a different one “Campervan policy”!... they vary in cost by approx £50 the latter being dearer. Also the personal item cover is £1000 with Campervan but £5000 with Motorhome.. work that one out !!!
When you say "protected policy" is that Protected No Claims?
I imagine the reason for the difference between the value of personal items is because of the likely size difference in vehicles and therefore the increased capacity for personal items, more people/space more stuff!

When you say "protected policy" is that Protected No Claims?
I imagine the reason for the difference between the value of personal items is because of the likely size difference in vehicles and therefore the increased capacity for personal items, more people/space more stuff!
Yes, protected no claims. She didn’t explain why it’s not associated with the Motorhome policy, or why they include Calis in this but still have another policy specifically called ‘Campervan policy’ !!

Just had a very strange circular discussion whilst renewing my LV insurance. My van has for the past 4 years been insured as a VW California, so I asked if the threads on this forum were true and I was not insured for the stuff in the back etc. I was told that they would still have paid any claim but would then want to classify it as a motor caravan after that. The man said this made no difference, it would just then be classified on their system as a motorcaravan and cost slightly more to insure. He then quoted a cheaper price than I was quoted before he reclassified it.

I pointed out that the VW California only came as a Campervan, fitted at the factory as such so why when they listed the model as a California did they not then classify it as such. Here I was in a loop as he said they would want to classify it on the system as a motor caravan, but a California was not automatically classified as such. After probing further, the motor caravan classification apparently means things like cutlery and bed linen were mentioned by name in the list of items insured, but they would still pay out for these even it it was not classified as a motor caravan! It's liek I was in Alice in Wonderland.

I think they just don't know what a VW California is.

I pointed out that the VW California only came as a Campervan, fitted at the factory as such

I'm not surprised. No one seems to know what is what.

A beach that doesn't comply with DVLA rules for Motor Caravans is registered as one, an ocean that just about qualifies is currently registered as one but would have been registered as an MPV 2 years ago.
A new beach tour is an MPV, a beach camper is a Motor Caravan.

Then there is the Grand California just to add a bit more confusion.

I actually feel sorry for anyone in the insurance industry, it must be a nightmare to work out what you are trying to insure.