• Total voters
david white

david white

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I remember this poll was very very popular a few years ago, lets see how views have changed.

Discuss !

Tiptronic is much better than dsg. Only really old people would go for that.....

CVT that's the way to go for really old buggers like me...

I have a manual van, a DCT bike and a DSG Cali. I'm totally converted as when my van is due for a change I will not be spec-ing traditional manual box.

Manual for an VAG product, auto for the BMW, 27 speed manual (now old skool) for the MTB and I think the road bike has errrrmmmm… 12 gears (I've forgotten)!

One gear for the Honda mower (sooooo slow - it needs another one) and for the Stihl strimmer although the latter has good throttle response ;)

KernowLad said:
Manual for any VAG product, auto for the BMW, 27 speed manual (now old skool) for the MTB and I think the road bike has errrrmmmm… 12 gears (I've forgotten)!

One gear for the Honda mower (sooooo slow - it needs another one) and for the Stihl strimmer although the latter has good throttle response ;)

Being New to the California it is interesting to see the results, surprised by so many dsg votes. My wife and I are 57 like to climb mountains, ride mtb, kayak, sail and change gears manually, why take part of the pleasure of driving away with an auto change is where we are with this one.

An interesting poll would be how many people sleep upstairs and what age are they? We now getting old I suppose but always have too much outdoor with us kit to use downstairs.

Best I think not to be ageist!

sbmcd said:
Being New to the California it is interesting to see the results, surprised by so many dsg votes. My wife and I are 57 like to climb mountains, ride mtb, kayak, sail and change gears manually, why take part of the pleasure of driving away with an auto change is where we are with this one.

An interesting poll would be how many people sleep upstairs and what age are they? We now getting old I suppose but always have too much outdoor with us kit to use downstairs.

Best I think not to be ageist!

Agreed

Manual for an VAG product, auto for the BMW, 27 speed manual (now old skool) for the MTB and I think the road bike has errrrmmmm… 12 gears (I've forgotten)!

Got to agree with you there Kernowlad,definately manual for VAG ,

The manual is best - for nipping out at busy roundabouts
The DSG is best - for traffic jams
The 140 is best - for economy
The 180 is best - for petrol heads

As long as they are in a Cali, they are all the best :)

The manual is best - for nipping out at busy roundabouts
The DSG is best - for traffic jams
The 140 is best - for economy
The 180 is best - for petrol heads

As long as they are in a Cali, they are all the best :)
*Warning: contentious post alert*

The 140 manual is best for long term reliability & servicing costs

lol
@WelshGas are you saying that there are no reliability and service cost benefits of a 140 manual over a 180 DSG, or that these aren't significant enough to be worth mentioning?

Not significant in the ownership period of the vehicle. Judging by the membership of this forum, the mileage many people mention for their annual usage and the fact that many seem very interested in the re-sale value then I very much doubt that any difference, if there is in fact any, in reliability or extra repair costs would be experienced by the 1st or possibly 2nd owners.
Also, according to 3 VW Dealerships, and other independant sources DSG Van sales have increased significantly so commercial buyers believe the DSG makes commercial sense. That was back last year when I purchased my vehicle.
As far as the 180 is concerned, rarely mentioned on the T5 forum as having problems, not even when remapped.

Isn't an EGR valve replacement on the 180 an additional 6 hours labour compared to the 140? And the EGR valve twice the price or something like that?

Last edited:
*Warning: contentious post alert*

The 140 manual is best for long term reliability & servicing costs

My 180 is five years old in December and has never had any problems, the slight increase in a few extra costs for servicing is worth it for the extra power.

We spend £50k on a vehicle, we might as well get the best we can afford

that's good to hear @spanner. My 2010 140 also hasn't had any issues.

Just by way of example, I suspect that the EGR valve is no more or less reliable between the 140/180. But some people reporting more than one EGR valve failure in their first 5 years, and the cost difference to replace it is more than £1000 between the two vehicles, I think it bears acknowledging that the 140 is cheaper to maintain. (one less turbo to fail too :))

The EGR replacement is more expensive on the 180 as the front has to be removed, if it fails. Mine was replaced at 900 miles with a new type as it was faulty rather than failed. Unlikely to be a problem during my period of planned ownership. As I said previously, that is one of the known costs that should be taken into account if you go for the 180. Nothing to do with a possible increased failure rate on the 180 compared with the 140. Likewise the DSG is more costly to repair/replace compared with a manual, but once again a known cost differential if you decide on the DSG. Nothing to do with a possible increased failure rate.
e.g.: a McLaren F1 is more expensive to maintain than a Ford Ka, but if you want a F1 then that is a factor to consider in the cost of ownership.

now it sounds like you're agreeing with me when i said that the 140 manual is better for servicing costs :)

Never disagreed regarding servicing costs or repair costs for the engines or gearbox/clutch ver DSG, just the statement that the 180 was less reliable/fragile compared to the 140 and likewise the DSG.
They cost more to buy and more to service and repair but I would maintain that they are no more/less reliable than the 140 and manual. It is personal choice and finances that will determine which you get. Reliability is the same no matter which you choose.:thumb

Unfortunately those who voted seem not to agree ! But then that is Democracy for you.:thumb

image.gif

180 DSG every time, if you can afford it, go for it. I had a 140 loaner a few weeks ago and it does feel somewhat sluggish. 180 feels much safer especially when over taking and pulling out on roundabouts

Back