Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MEETING AT VW HQ 14.10.14

"I've just read the list of faults and problems. We have been considering a Cali. Methinks we shall wait until the Marco Polo hits our shores.
As discussed, unacceptable for a £50k plus vehicle !!!!!"

What makes you think an equally complicated vehicle won't have similar problems?

But you are right these things shouldn't happen on a £50k vehicle.

It's not been helped by VW's shifty, evasive denials and there shambolic organisational skills or lack thereof, you wouldn't accept it from a second hand car dealer working from a demolition site, but VW seem to think it's ok.

It's a pity these Californias are not sold in the USA, by now a class action would have been taken out against VW to get the matter sorted to a reasonable timescale and with compensation for time wasted.

Uuummmmm, I suppose it's all down to an individual's experience.

VW Van Centre (Breeze) Southampton..... We found them to be extremely helpful and efficient. We reported the roof corrosion on our Cali (59 plate) to them 2 months ago when we bought him. They kept us updated and called us to book him in one month later. He's been away for two weeks and just got him back today.... All is looking good. They didn't have a Cali to offer while he was away, but the new Kombi got us around just fine!

Let's hope that the work done hasn't affected his functionality!
:D

what a great job you are doing. thanks again for doing all this work for us all.

A collective voice is better than single voices and its great that you have taken the lead. thanks

:thanks :goodone

Just wanted to add my thanks too, Graham :thanks

Maud

Thanks from me too.
Without this forum I would not have known about checking for bubbles under the rubber on the main roof.
All repaired now, good quick job by local VW outlet.

Ambler said:
Thanks from me too.
Without this forum I would not have known about checking for bubbles under the rubber on the main roof.

Can I ask who did the repair for you?
Did they replace the rubber seal?
And did they glue it on?!

Nanqueen said:
Uuummmmm, I suppose it's all down to an individual's experience.

VW Van Centre (Breeze) Southampton..... We found them to be extremely helpful and efficient. We reported the roof corrosion on our Cali (59 plate) to them 2 months ago when we bought him. They kept us updated and called us to book him in one month later. He's been away for two weeks and just got him back today.... All is looking good. They didn't have a Cali to offer while he was away, but the new Kombi got us around just fine!

Let's hope that the work done hasn't affected his functionality!
:D

:thanks Thank you for putting that comprehensive list up...... Yes it all sounds a bit scarey!

Without this club and forum I would never have known about the roof corrosion before we bought our new to us Cali...

As I said above we have been happy with our local VW considering ours is 5 years old and only done 10k miles and not bought from them.

However, after reading that list we are wondering if we are heading for more problems in the future ... As our forever dreamed of Cali has to last us into our doddering dotage.... I am glad that there is a thriving community here to search for relevantly cheap 'fixes' for any further upcoming problems!
:cool

777111 said:
Ambler said:
Thanks from me too.

did they glue it on?!

Hadwins at Lindale
Same rubber back on (I think - i will ask about this next week)
Not glued down.

Ambler said:
777111 said:
Ambler said:
Thanks from me too.

did they glue it on?!

Hadwins at Lindale
Not glued down.

I have asked for details on what they have done to mine... No one available to ask until Monday.

the_lecht_rocks said:
I've just read the list of faults and problems. We have been considering a Cali. Methinks we shall wait until the Marco Polo hits our shores.
As discussed, unacceptable for a £50k plus vehicle !!!!!

Sadly we are doing the same, we have been looking at the for sale adverts for months now but we have now come to the decision there are too many problems with the California at the moment.

I know forums are mainly negative comments but I have never seen so many problems as listed above on any other forum I belong to.

We are also on the waiting list with Mercedes for information on the Marco Polo which is going to be sold via the their car dealer network.

I do not think I am alone :cry:

Thank you Graham for your help and the PM, have not replied yet as am just getting over a bout of Gastroenteritis in SW France.
Thank you again

John :thanks

Ambler said:
777111 said:
Ambler said:
Thanks from me too.

did they glue it on?!

Hadwins at Lindale
Not glued down.

Yes same rubber back on. Only a few months old.

Hadwins at Lindale
Not glued down.

Thanks. Interesting. They will probably be doing mine in the not too distant future and I know another member is in the process of arranging for them to repair his main roof with them too.
Good to know they responded and repaired appropriately.

Ambler wrote:

777111 wrote:

Ambler wrote:Thanks from me too.

did they glue it on?!

Hadwins at Lindale
Not glued down.

Am I right that yours is a 2014 model do you know what week build you were, I thought from November 2013 that we should be okay is this now not the case . Is the problem not solved. Mine was a December 13 build now I am getting worried too

Pete Wilkins said:
Ambler wrote:

777111 wrote:

Ambler wrote:Thanks from me too.

did they glue it on?!

Hadwins at Lindale
Not glued down.

Am I right that yours is a 2014 model do you know what week build you were, I thought from November 2013 that we should be okay is this now not the case . Is the problem not solved. Mine was a December 13 build now I am getting worried too

Pete,

As far as anyone here knows VW have not modified the build process on the main part of the roof. The front part of the roof is a different matter and this was modified mid 2013 so your front panel really should be ok.
You should take a look under your rubber seal and not be surprised to see small bubbles of corrosion. There are a few owners on here that have 2014 build dates and have reported corrosion under the rubber seal.
Wonderful eh? I still cant believe the way VW are handling this - they read this forum, they see customers deciding not to buy, yet make no formal announcement of cause, builds affected and remedial work required. We do of course await a full and frank explanation once rubber-stamped by Hanover - perhaps then we will all know what to expect.
Fact is it is warranty covered and 6 years at that.

Just had a conversation with the main bods at VWCV (not customer support!) as I also now have the corrosion under the seal round the roof!!!!
Can confirm the parts supply has been main issue in delays for front panel section not number of centres...a second manufacturer is now doing them as well and there should be ample supplies by end of year so in 2015 they can gear up repairs and get moving on the backlog much more quickly (they also have some more loan vehicles)
as far as the roof corrosion goes that's still under "investigation" in Germany but expect some more news on that in a few weeks hopefully...which prob means end of year..

Back