Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

I fully agree on you @Kmann , i always found the Marco Polo to much bling-bling , we got the MP for longtime availeble here in Belgium .
You do spot them frequent but still think a Cali is more popular.

We have loved the look of the Marco Polo ever since the new version was lauched, I really think VW has missed a trick by keeping the interior so bloody dull and GREY, grey floor, grey blinds, grey roof, grey mattress .. I could go on.

The interior of the MP looks a much happer and brighter place to be and those rear seats look a damn sight more comfortable that then awful rear bench seat in the back of our Cali

15C313_013_D218931-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0Cbod69uCGnYju6GtBtOgVn8Ih8VNi8kQS3VVLczPwM.jpg
After years of caravanning in various models where the seats were designed to look like arm chairs I tried all sorts of methods to get an ache free nights sleep. Cause rounded corners and edges that never provided support where it was needed.
The Cali relatively flat bench is one of its plus's. Good cushion that doubles as a pillow has provide the seating comfort I require.
The Polo is good to the eye internally. The dark lower surfaces are an obvious plus compared to the Cali light colour.

You guys in UK should praise the Marco Polo as finally there is competition!

In Germany and France they sell more Marco Polo than California for first time last year.

We are all different and have different flavours but I like the MP interior, please don't hate me for this as some of you come across aggressive to some of us

The Marco Polo is a looker no question. I just wonder what its target market is as it is too fussy and fancy for my style of use. Maybe too fancy for family and dogs. I do like the roof canvas though. The integral bars(?) look like they would stop the material from ever being trapped. The shaped seats do not look like the making of a comfortable bed
Lots will like it but not for me.

It's too long for my purpose. I wonder how many are used all year round or as daily/frequent drivers?

You guys in UK should praise the Marco Polo as finally there is competition!

In Germany and France they sell more Marco Polo than California for first time last year.

We are all different and have different flavours but I like the MP interior, please don't hate me for this as some of you come across aggressive to some of us

Each has his own vision and taste , i see also many California's who been transformed with seatcovers,striping,pillows and sceaming (to me ) ugly mats....as long i like mine everyone can have thieres.
Noting against Marco Polo , i sat in one but never driven one so i only give comment on my personal taste.

The fact it begins to sell more is good , also California's as any other campervan brand have seen theire numbers gone up....campervans in general or very popular it is not that suddenly a Marco Polo is very popular on it's own.

It's too long for my purpose. I wonder how many are used all year round or as daily/frequent drivers?

It's only a little bit bigger.
Easily useable as an everyday vehicle in my opinion.
I find the Cali fits in car park spaces with room to spare, so could be slightly longer with no problems.

I was parked next to one in France earlier in the year and was a bit envious of the extra room it had.

I have also seen the Marco Polo in several car parks in France and they happily fit in a car parking space, the extra length I see as an advantage and not a hindrance.

I have also seen the Marco Polo in several car parks in France and they happily fit in a car parking space, the extra length I see as an advantage and not a hindrance.

The MP looks a lot longer in the Nose than the Cali, I'd be interested to know if the actual living accommodation is any larger?

The rear seat rounded bits disinflate when it becomes a bed and reinflate when it becomes a seat [see from 5' 00" onwards -- I could only find a Spanish-language example but it shows the disinflation].

I see many used as daily drivers over here. The latest models literally park themselves.

The height is a few cms lower than the T6 with the roof down which might make getting into underground carparks a less stressful experience. I believe the interior is ~30cm or so longer.

The roof does indeed have windows, one on each side [4' 23"]. It's a shame it doesn't have one at the front like the option on the T5/T6 though.

Anyone mentioning bling must be thinking of this video :Stig. Meanwhile, I have a scruffy dog and have ordered one so we'll see how that goes. Seat covers are the order of the day. By all accounts the 'yacht' floor is easy to keep clean.

Martin

MPdims.png

Curious also as I like the ideal of a slightly longer vehicle so keen to give it a try.

The interior is a little bit of a "vodka bar" for my tastes. Seat covers all round.

A German company is now converting the Citroen Space Tourer and making quite a good job IMO. Lots of nods to California styling but clever touches like a removable kitchen to make way for another seat. Very versatile little camper.
http://newatlas.com/possl-campster-...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
@T4WFA

Interesting vehicle.
Might be on the small side though...?

Great to see more competition in the market. It will hopefully up Volkswagens game

Summer time for first MP deliveries to the UK. No fixed date as such so could be June, July or August.

The following is my own opinion, my Cali is a VW van first and a Cali second, I would not care if the MP cost half as much as a Cali and was perfect, the MP will never never have the kerb appeal of a VW Transporter, it will never be able to fill a show ground with six generations, it has no heritage and I think its ugly. With its oversized snout and raised rear. to me it looks like its digging for truffles. So they have added a few trinkets, bells and whistles, great ! If you put lipstick on a pig the pig is still a pig.

If your in the market for a small camper then pay your money and take your choice, but if you want to put a garland on your mirror, put some beach boys on, wave at everything from a T1 to a T6 then buy a VW.

The only thing the MP has going for it is, its German :thumb

Last edited:
The following statement is my own opinion, to me my Cali is a VW van first and a Cali second, I would not care if the MP cost half as much as a Cali and was perfect, the MP will never never have the kerb appeal of a VW Transporter, it will never be able to fill a show ground with six generations, it has no heritage and I think its ugly. With its oversized snout and raised rear, looks like its digging for truffles. So they have added a few trinkets, bells and whistles, great ! its like putting lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.

If your in the market for a small camper then pay your money and take your choice, but if you want to put a garland on your mirror, put some beach boys on, wave at everything from a T1 to a T6 then buy a VW.

The only thing the MP has going for it is, its German :thumb

This was maybe a good point a few years ago but not anymore so many people are leaving Volkswagen due to the emission scandal etc... plus people are looking for alternatives now due to the roof rot, engine faults etc.. also you will find that the hardcore VW campervan owners ( I'm talking Bays, splitties etc.) don't particularly like Cali owners, also a lot of people that drive conversions think we have all cheated.

This is becoming a bit silly.
The Marco Polo will get converts and will make many people happy. The California makes me and lots more happy too.
Any so called Bay or Splittie owners who supposedly do not like Calfornias will be in the small minority and most would love the money to afford one. I know as I am friends with many old VW owners.
Both vehicles are campervans and will bring enjoyment. To those unhappy with their vans sell and move on. You only have one life.
From people in the trade I know one thing to remember is -- no make or vehicle is fault free.

Re the Emission scandal, I'm wondering if there were more manufactures at it, but VW just got caught.
I also know lots of Heritage van owners that love the Cali's and can afford one, but choose not to. Put a garland on your mirror and see how many waves you all get :thumb A Cali is just a Transport nothing more, I just gave you a tick Digger ;)

Last edited:
Surely it's down to preference. We chose the Cali over the MP because we preferred the layout.

I had a look on you tube at the inside of a MP and was surprised how similar they are :confused: but I suppose they cant re-invent the wheel.
I have not driven one but have driven a Vito panel van, and to be honest the experience was no match for a Transporter panel van.

"They" being Westfalia, and the wheel being the one they invented themselves... hmmm. Don't forget the MP is 20 years old with a very similar interior layout throughout that period. It is only new to the UK.

I've driven both and the new V-class (which the MP is based on) has, in my view, marginally-superior handling (more car-like than van-like).

A Cali with the Sport line -20mm lowering springs handles like a Golf, also the T6 does handle better than the T5, I have had both plus a T5 panel van with and with out lowering springs.

I have both a lowered Cali and a Golf and as much as I love my Cali there is NO WAY in the world you can compare the two, my Cali no longer feels like a boat now it is lowered but I certainly would not be able to chuck it around.

Also like many others I am sick of VW attitude towards their customers and they do not deserve any loyalty so I am personally glad the Marco Polo is here in the UK now, also you forget the Marco Polo conversation is by Westfalia, if it was not for them the Cali would not exist.

http://www.westfalia-mobil.net/doku...JulesVerne_Kepler_D_2017_FIN.pdf?m=1493806845

Pity they do not deliver these to the UK. If you want conversion done differently.

We bought the Cali becasue of the storage space, chairs in the boot like in the Merc is sub optimal.

If you are just 2 people I am sure it is all fine we are 3 and a dog, which means we bring loads of stuff with us.

In my humble opinion there is a reason why people want to avoid volkswagen (I sold my passat with a major loss and bought a mercedes instead) I sold the Mercedes after a year and use the Cali as my principal car.

I can move bulky stuff by removing the rear rack and cushion, it is just very versatile and very vorgivig, I do not mind making a scratch somewhere or fear I might be mistreating the car, afterall the basis is a T6 transporter, a workhorse.

That is why the Merc is not for me, it is too shiny too bling and too fragile.

It is like visiting a 5 star hotel for the 1st time, you will love it and think it is the best that ever happened to you.

That feeling will fade or disappear over time, when you stay in them frequently. Than it becomes a room with a bed and the bed is the Cali.

I think the solutions VW has with the window shutters, making the car nice and dark are better than the Mercedes.

But again it is all a personal choice.

For those contemplating the mercedes : good luck.

As for the volkswagen scandal : more will follow because all manufacturers are cheating.

Back