Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blasphemy - Marco Polo Horizon as alternative to Beach

Sort of defeats the point of owning one...???

I suppose that depends on circumstances?

If you drive a relatively high mileage (say 15k?) with the odd night away, then the MP may be the better vehicle for you? But if you're a die-hard camper who spends dozens of nights a year camping, then the California would be the better vehicle for you?

Exactly, and the op was asking about a horizon not a Marc polo

Before discovering the California I set out looking to buy a LWB VW Caravelle with the bed pack. The MB V class had just been introduced so I arranged a test drive. The vehicle concerned was a LWB eight seater with a reasonably high spec, leather seats, infotainment screen, fancy mood lighting etc. So like the Horizon but without the pop top. Having already driven a Caravelle I found the ride quality to be more car like. It was a smooth and relaxing drive which impressed me. It was a lovely vehicle. So why didn't I consider it as a contender?

1. The sales people didn't know anything about it.
2. It didn't have the long establish heritage that a VW bus has.
3. It didn't have the same support network that the VW transporter based vehicles have incl magazines, clubs, forums etc
4. The way I saw it the V class was likely to suffer greater depreciation due to it's poor fan base.
5. Whilst being very nice the inside didn't strike me as being quite so well designed as the Caravelle.
6. I was concerned about future body corrosion. Previous MB light commercials had a tendency to display rust.
7. Having owned MB cars I had discovered that their reputation for superior build quality was no longer true.
8. Our younger son is a long standing highly qualified MB mechanic/technician who has worked on other brands as well. He had been saying as much for some time.
9 Finally, and probably the most important reason of all, it just didn't float my boat. It was just another nice shiny vehicle. I can't put it into words, but in this respect, for me at least, the VW is in a whole different league. Why do VW transporter buses have such an effect on peoples hearts? I don't know, but the MB V class just doesn't do it.

That was about fives years ago but I can't imagine that I would reach a different decision today.

Last edited:
Before discovering the California I set out looking to buy a LWB VW Caravelle with the bed pack. The MB V class had just been introduced so I arranged a test drive. The vehicle concerned was a LWB eight seater with a reasonably high spec, leather seats, infotainment screen, fancy mood lighting etc. So like the Horizon but without the pop top. Having already driven a Caravelle I found the ride quality to be more car like. It was a smooth and relaxing drive which impressed me. It was a lovely vehicle. So why didn't I consider it as a contender?

3. It didn't have the same support network that the VW transporter based vehicles have incl magazines, clubs, forums etc
4. The way I saw it the V class was likely to suffer greater depreciation due to it's poor fan base.
5. Whilst being very nice the inside didn't strike me as being quite so well designed as the Caravelle.
6. I was concerned about future body coorosion. Previous MB light commercials had a tendency to display rust.
7. Having owned MB cars I had discovered that their reputation for superior build quality was no longer true.
8. Our younger son is a long standing highly qualified MB mechanic/technician who has worked on other brands as well. He had been saying as much for some time.
9 Finally, and probably the most important reason of all, it just didn't float my boat. It was just another nice shiny vehicle. I can't put it into words, but in this respect, for me at least, the VW is in a whole different league. Why do VW transporter buses have such an effect on peoples hearts? I don't know, but the MB V class just doesn't do it.

That was about fives years ago but I can't imagine that I would reach a different decision today.

9. Alone does it for me. I still smile when I approach the Cali or any Cali and the MP just doesn’t do it for me.

Mike

I know this may be considered blasphemous on here, but I have found myself looking online at Mercedes Benz Marco Polo Horizon as an alternative to the VW Cali Beach. I have to say that it seems much better value... LED lights, electric handbrake, leather seats, 3 Isofix points across 3 seat bench, twin sliding doors all as standard, with manual operated seats (like Beach, but unlike the electrically operated seats in the ‘full fat’ Marco Polo equivalent to Ocean).

The only drawbacks I can see are (1) no electrical hookup, which can easily be solved with solar; (2) curtains rather than blinds - although this could be an advantage with young kids who might like to play with the delicate Cali blinds; (3) distributed via MB car network, who know little about the van (although most VW commercials similar) and (4) our sister Marco Polo forum is very lightly populated - this forum is a great resource for Cali ownership and offsets many clueless dealerships.

Any objective thoughts?
They look very smart. Parked next to one last week. Didn’t even spot the pop top roof at first. Can’t help but think they’re a bit ‘executive’ looking and also look more like a people carrier (ie lower than a van) but this may be due to clever styling/design. Certainly the twin sliding doors appeal. I heard that Mercedes don’t age well and rust badly. There are many examples of this around my city, I’ve noticed. Is it still an issue?

Pulled up next to a MP Horizon on Thursday, and it was really nice.

The guy had only bought it the day before. I felt excited for him!

The interior did look so much nicer but I don’t like the curtains and lack of table/chair storage.

Also with the added benefit of known residuals, I’d still choose a Cali every time.

From the front bumper to the B pillar MP/Horizon.
From the B pillar to the tailgate : Cali.
It depends where you spend the majority of your time.

@Camperfamily did you decide either way? Similar position here and there appears to be limited direct comparisons between the Horizon and Beach.

6. I was concerned about future body corrosion. Previous MB light commercials had a tendency to display rust.

The Marco Polo is built by Westfalia the people who originally started the VW California camper thing.
Vw just took over from Westfalia around 2003/2004.but Westfalia go way back with vw as you may know?
VW California is originally a Westfalia

The Marco Polo is built by Westfalia the people who originally started the VW California camper thing.
Vw just took over from Westfalia around 2003/2004.but Westfalia go way back with vw as you may know?
VW started making the California in-house in 2005 because Mercedes Benz bought Westfalia. After weathering a series of financial difficulties Westfalia is again independent and converting Transporters as an alternative to the VW California.

Yes I am aware of that but the Mercedes offering just doesn't do it for me.

There are lots of alternative campervan makes out there, based on all kinds of base vehicles. Obviously you pays your money & makes your choice, but for me it was as much about the VW heritage, scene & that intangible feeling you get from all that has gone before....

I would never criticise or try to put someone off exploring other marques, all I can do is reflect personally that I'd wanted a VW camper (not necessary a Cali) for some considerable time before we were in a position to have one, an itch that needed to be scratched if you will, and it is everything I'd hoped it would be.....

One interesting further observation, is a Mrs H comment not long after we'd taken delivery..... "We should have done this years ago when the kids were smaller, the Beach is such a fabulous family tool"

In answer to the original post, I'm not sure I agree that Solar is an acceptable alternative to a mains hook up...... but that may be down the amount of electrical equipment we seem to take!! ;)

Yes I am aware of that but the Mercedes offering just doesn't do it for me.
I agree it it doesn’t do it for me,
Its a great alternative and Westfalia do a fantastic job,but the merc thing I struggle with.

There are lots of alternative campervan makes out there, based on all kinds of base vehicles. Obviously you pays your money & makes your choice, but for me it was as much about the VW heritage, scene & that intangible feeling you get from all that has gone before....

I would never criticise or try to put someone off exploring other marques, all I can do is reflect personally that I'd wanted a VW camper (not necessary a Cali) for some considerable time before we were in a position to have one, an itch that needed to be scratched if you will, and it is everything I'd hoped it would be.....

One interesting further observation, is a Mrs H comment not long after we'd taken delivery..... "We should have done this years ago when the kids were smaller, the Beach is such a fabulous family tool"

In answer to the original post, I'm not sure I agree that Solar is an acceptable alternative to a mains hook up...... but that may be down the amount of electrical equipment we seem to take!! ;)
Glad to see you around and hoping all is good with you and yours. Lee.

I agree it it doesn’t do it for me,
Its a great alternative and Westfalia do a fantastic job,but the merc thing I struggle with.
Same here...I know it’s not a practical concern, but I find the Mercedes vans unbearably ugly.

Last edited:
@Camperfamily did you decide either way? Similar position here and there appears to be limited direct comparisons between the Horizon and Beach.
We haven’t decided yet, but are currently loving our Cali SE. I’m not sure that we can bring ourselves to sell it - partly as the spec is huge (it would cost north of £75k to replicate in a T6.1 today), partly of its appearance (awesome in my opinion, with Xenons, Sportline spoiler, 30mm lowered, Dakar wheels, ...) and partly of the family memories we have made in it so far. So a really tough decision, which we’ve been quite comfortable to procrastinate on :)

Baby #3 is due next week, so we’ll take stock thereafter.