Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

It is not just the emission scandal their attitude to their loyal customers is absolutely dismal I have been a follower for years owning many vehicles my last three being California SE's and love them you then get the roof issue mine went in three times before it was absolutely destroyed by idiots and months without a vehicle then you get the engine problem for me that was enough I took action luckily got a result but cannot say anything else because of confidentiality and yes there is faults with every vehicle but is also down to the way they are sorted instead of a constant battle.

It is not just the emission scandal their attitude to their loyal customers is absolutely dismal I have been a follower for years owning many vehicles my last three being California SE's and love them you then get the roof issue mine went in three times before it was absolutely destroyed by idiots and months without a vehicle then you get the engine problem for me that was enough I took action luckily got a result but cannot say anything else because of confidentiality and yes there is faults with every vehicle but is also down to the way they are sorted instead of a constant battle.

I am not happy with the service of my garage, we had to explain the sales guy on how to operate the vehicle.
They have the tendency to tell you that when youhave a problem that is talked about on the internet that you should not believe all that is written.

But when the car was not delivererd on time we were told the internet was full of information why there was a delay.

That however is not a Volkswagen problem.

I don't blame the car for it.

My California is being called back for a hose replacement, engine update and battery modification. Official callback by volkswagen not sure waht to think of it as it is a new T6.

If Ifind out my T6 Cali has the same issues as the former diesels I will be slightly cross......and will want compensation and an explanation.

Hi
This is a general recall or some other term.
My T6 has had it . See thread I started in services & recall section , several posts.
One with a good explanation of what it involves.

Last edited:
We love and cherish our T5 cali but wouldn't consider buying another one.
I don't know how many serious and unsolved faults it would have to have before customers stopped buying them!
The roof fault is a joke and I'm still unsure as to whether it's ever been solved even on the T6.
And the dodgy 180 engines, supposedly only on early T5.1's but which now seems as though it effects later engines as well, again has this been solved on the 204 engines?

Personally I like the look of the MP and would definitely consider an extended test drive if I was in the market for a new van (I'm not though so it's immaterial).
We did have a quick look at one at the Mercedes dealer in Garmisch-Partenkirchen last September out of curiosity and liked what we saw, but it's a real shame about the chairs not fitting in the tailgate though.
It seems to me that a lot of cali owners are close minded and hostile to negative comments on their vans which is a shame.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Re the Emission scandal, I'm wondering if there were more manufactures at it, but VW just got caught.
I also know lots of Heritage van owners that love the Cali's and can afford one, but choose not to. Put a garland on your mirror and see how many waves you all get :thumb A Cali is just a Transport nothing more, I just gave you a tick Digger ;)
Seems to be Bosch related and according to my French neighbours (in Normandy) it applies to Renault as well. Pretty hot Political issue that seems to be suppressed from general news cover.

We love and cherish our T5 cali but wouldn't consider buying another one.
I don't know how many serious and unsolved faults it would have to have before customers stopped buying them!
The roof fault is a joke and I'm still unsure as to whether it's ever been solved even on the T6.
And the dodgy 180 engines, supposedly only on early T5.1's but which now seems as though it effects later engines as well, again has this been solved on the 204 engines?

Personally I like the look of the MP and would definitely consider an extended test drive if I was in the market for a new van (I'm not though so it's immaterial).
We did have a quick look at one at the Mercedes dealer in Garmisch-Partenkirchen last September out of curiosity and liked what we saw, but it's a real shame about the chairs not fitting in the tailgate though.
It seems to me that a lot of cali owners are close minded and hostile to negative comments on their vans which is a shame.

I don't mind negative comments, I've had a T5 and a T6 Cali now, I have had my share of dealer visits 60 mile round trip, the 5 went back on several occasions to the point that I had a diva fit in the showroom one day, after being told the spare parts were in to replace the whole tailgate trim and blind, just because the brake light lens had fallen off (sub standard part carried over onto the T6) to allow water to ruin the blind. But the parts were not in and this was after I had called the day before to confirm.
They changed the blind then ruined the plastic trim in doing so, then they said don't worry we can get the bits from a new unregistered van in the compound. Unfortunately unbeknown to them it was my new T5 I had ordered to replace the one I had in for warranty work. (I cancelled and ordered a T6).
At least I got a pair of brand new chairs out of it as they came with the full rear door trim, I now have four.
Back to my Diva fit, I asked an assembled entourage of high ranking dignitaries what was missing from the back of a Cali on display in the showroom, after a lot of head scratching and blank looks they gave in.
So I said a Vauxhall badge !!! So why was I being treated like I owned one and not a VW customer.
So don't think I am so naïve to think the Transporter is in any way perfect, it isn't (Its better than the dealers that sell them). but I forgive it because it is a Transporter, and for the reasons in my first post, Heritage, now to some that does not matter but to me it does. Ok Westfalia may have invented the concept I don't completely know the politics and don't really care, but if Mercedes are so innovative why are the chairs not stored in the tailgate as others have said.
All I know is when I am at Busfest this year surrounded by literally thousands of likeminded people, with six generations of Transporters, I will be so glad I did not buy anything else but a VW.

I have both a lowered Cali and a Golf and as much as I love my Cali there is NO WAY in the world you can compare the two, my Cali no longer feels like a boat now it is lowered but I certainly would not be able to chuck it around.

Also like many others I am sick of VW attitude towards their customers and they do not deserve any loyalty so I am personally glad the Marco Polo is here in the UK now, also you forget the Marco Polo conversation is by Westfalia, if it was not for them the Cali would not exist.

The T6 Cali dash is as good as a Golf, its as quiet as one, goes down the road as good and corners just as well. Also I took my T5 Cali round the Nurburgring, C/W with a porta loo and a full fridge, hanging cloths in the wardrobe and a enough kit to last a fortnight.

I do agree with you regarding the Dealers though.

I don't mind negative comments, I've had a T5 and a T6 Cali now, I have had my share of dealer visits 60 mile round trip, the 5 went back on several occasions to the point that I had a diva fit in the showroom one day, after being told the spare parts were in to replace the whole tailgate trim and blind, just because the brake light lens had fallen off (sub standard part carried over onto the T6) to allow water to ruin the blind. But the parts were not in and this was after I had called the day before to confirm.
They changed the blind then ruined the plastic trim in doing so, then they said don't worry we can get the bits from a new unregistered van in the compound. Unfortunately unbeknown to them it was my new T5 I had ordered to replace the one I had in for warranty work. (I cancelled and ordered a T6).
At least I got a pair of brand new chairs out of it as they came with the full rear door trim, I now have four.
Back to my Diva fit, I asked an assembled entourage of high ranking dignitaries what was missing from the back of a Cali on display in the showroom, after a lot of head scratching and blank looks they gave in.
So I said a Vauxhall badge !!! So why was I being treated like I owned one and not a VW customer.
So don't think I am so naïve to think the Transporter is in any way perfect, it isn't (Its better than the dealers that sell them). but I forgive it because it is a Transporter, and for the reasons in my first post, Heritage, now to some that does not matter but to me it does. Ok Westfalia may have invented the concept I don't completely know the politics and don't really care, but if Mercedes are so innovative why are the chairs not stored in the tailgate as others have said.
All I know is when I am at Busfest this year surrounded by literally thousands of likeminded people, with six generations of Transporters, I will be so glad I did not buy anything else but a VW.

VW board of directors just love people like you, they can throw up much crap at you as you can and you will keep coming back for more, makes me laugh.

I say again,

Horses for courses, people.

The Cali, with it's short length, low height, totally integrated interior, and so far, 40,000 miles, total reliability, does me perfectly.

Nothing wrong with the MP, lovely vehicle, lots of positives, not for me because of length and bling, but gorgeous all the same, as is so many conversions such as vanworx and autohause,

So if someone wants to slag off a Cali, fine, mine is a vehicle I am in love with, warts, roof rot and all, and if someone wants to sing the praises of the MP, why not, it looks like a fine vehicle.

VW board of directors just love people like you, they can throw up much crap at you as you can and you will keep coming back for more, makes me laugh.
A bit like the VW Handbook. Unintelligible at first glance, and second.:shocked

Slightly unfair. I can fully understand why people love their Cali's (despite their faults in many cases), and why they may go back and buy a new one. There are just too many unsolved major problems with them for me to consider buying another.
Fair play to those that do though.
The service quality of the dealers seems to vary wildly, my local dealer was totally and utterly inept and now no longer have anything to do with vans, but Carrs in Exeter are excellent and I've bigged them up many times on here.
If you have a troublesome cali and a poor dealer then I pity you!

I'm still looking.

As much as I like my Cali, faults and all, I would like a little more space inside. (I'm slightly on the larger human size)

The interior however is a turn off and I expect depreciation will be a lot higher, along with servicing. So the Merc is going to have to work hard to persuade a change.

Thanks BigMan, for pointing out how stupid I am, I feel so foolish now and the other seven times I bought VW.

But at least I gave you, as said a laugh, it was worth tuning in then ;)

I own a 2006 MP and has really come to love it. I wanted a cali but it would have been too expensive.
Key features that I like and don't think the calis have:

- sunroof in the pop top roof, dually operated so you can open it when lying in bed (switch in roof) or from drivers seat from normal panel
- alle windows are opening except far rear left (behind wardrobe) and tailgate window
- electrically inflatable side supports in rear seat. Deflates when you (also electrically) make it a bed
- longer than a cali, but you dont feel it while driving. The extra space is essential for carrying bikes the way I want to. Plus the roof bed is longer
- Unsure about this one being unique for MP: rear seat has like 100 places to park, my Reimo had 3 predetermined positions. And the rail is the same as in commercial buses and people carriers so you can get all sorts of fasteners for them (lifting/strapping lugs, threaded inserts etc)

Apart from that I think its functions are pretty much the same as on similar year model calis (t5's)

19 pages and counting about a Mercedes on a Volkswagen forum! I guess that tells us there is a lot of interest!

I'm keeping tabs on the Marco Polo & look forward to eventually seeing one in the flesh at a dealership. The V-vans I've seen on the road look very smart, if a little bit too much 'blacked-out celebrity minibus' ... Generally I think the current generation of most Mercedes have lost the plot design-wise, but the V is good.

Far too early to know which way I'll go next, as I could keep mine indefinitely or upgrade on a whim - who knows? More options are better & increased choice keeps prices down for all of us.

Reading this I see nothing to turn me off the Cali.

I am very MP rientated, but what does it do that the. Cali doesn't and where is that serious 4wd grunt that the Cali has in spades?

I am not knocking it, as everyone may have noted I m quite a fan of the MP, but seriously does It have that mud, snow and pure filth resilience that the Cali has?

It will sell to a certain market and is a competitor to the California, but until it makes inroads into the 3rd party and self conversion field it won't be a major competitor.
There is something about the VW van series, going back to the surfing days of long ago, that is ingrained in the public psychi that will be hard to beat.
They would have to market a California + to overcome that.

It will sell to a certain market and is a competitor to the California, but until it makes inroads into the 3rd party and self conversion field it won't be a major competitor.
There is something about the VW van series, going back to the surfing days of long ago, that is ingrained in the public psychi that will be hard to beat.
They would have to market a California + to overcome that.

As said Heritage.

I suspect that most MP owner's would not wave to each other as we do .

Parked right next to a Spanish plate MP...at WRC Portugal, SS Vieira Do Minho tonight, had a look over it, my view, it just does not have the 'kudos' of 'here I am in my VW camper'

Not for me.

Back