Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

While in Germany a Marco Polo arrived on site. Parked on pitch. Couple got out and removed some belongings and slept in one of the sites cabins.
Downstairs bed wouldn't deploy as a motor had failed and they didn't/couldn't sleep in the upstairs bed as the wife couldn't get up there because of some orthopaedic problem.

That's interesting. If you've seen the review video from @CaliforniaCamping (Sean, Lizzie and Bentley) they looked at one at a MB dealer and had problems with the split electric folding seat downstairs too and couldn't get one side completely flat.

I wonder if it's an emerging weak link on that design? Its a pity that the electric adjustment isn't an option with manual control as standard, would save weight, remove complexity and take a little bit of cost out too.

They have yet to test the California Ocean!

That's interesting. If you've seen the review video from @CaliforniaCamping (Sean, Lizzie and Bentley) they looked at one at a MB dealer and had problems with the split electric folding seat downstairs too and couldn't get one side completely flat.

I wonder if it's an emerging weak link on that design? Its a pity that the electric adjustment isn't an option with manual control as standard, would save weight, remove complexity and take a little bit of cost out too.

When a totally incompetent MB sales person was trying with embarrassing cluelessness to demonstrate a MP to me he also had difficulty getting the bed(s) to lie flat, one side at least 5mm higher than the other. I assumed this was because like everything else that he was trying to demonstrate he lacked total understanding of how it worked or why it worked. I am now wondering if it is something more profound.

We made a second visit to the local MB dealer today and had another look at the MP. The salesman didn't have much idea about how things worked and was very grateful when I showed him what it could do. In fact, he was so impressed that he said he would take it home to play with! :D

Anyway, the reason for the second look was that our van is approaching 3 years old and will soon be out of warranty, so we have some thinking to do about what to do now. We really wanted to like the MP and it has some cool touches but unfortunately also some serious shortcomings.

Really, there should be somewhere to store a porta potty in a camper van; the space under the rear shelf can't be used for that or anything else as there is a large canvas hold-all in there for the folding chairs; and the blinds have large gaps which we would find unacceptable.

We tried the downstairs bed and think it would need a topper, so that would be another thing using up storage.

The model on show also didn't have any windows in the roof bellows, and it didn't have the opening window feature in the rear tailgate, so it must have been a poverty spec, despite a price tag of £55k. Mrs also couldn't reach the roof bed to hook it up out of the way.

Looks like we have to rule an MP as a replacement :(. For now, anyway!

Edit: forgot to mention, the roof bellows was damaged where it had caught in the mechanism (located at the front part, rather than the rear where the Cali goes).

Last edited:
We made a second visit to the local MB dealer today and had another look at the MP. The salesman didn't have much idea about how things worked and was very grateful when I showed him what it could do. In fact, he was so impressed that he said he would take it home to play with! :D

Anyway, the reason for the second look was that our van is approaching 3 years old and will soon be out of warranty, so we have some thinking to do about what to do now. We really wanted to like the MP and it has some cool touches but unfortunately also some serious shortcomings.

Really, there should be somewhere to store a porta potty in a camper van; the space under the rear shelf can't be used for that or anything else as there is a large canvas hold-all in there for the folding chairs; and the blinds have large gaps which we would find unacceptable.

We tried the downstairs bed and think it would need a topper, so that would be another thing using up storage.

The model on show also didn't have any windows in the roof bellows, and it didn't have the opening window feature in the rear tailgate, so it must have been a poverty spec, despite a price tag of £55k. Mrs also couldn't reach the roof bed to hook it up out of the way.

Looks like we have to rule an MP as a replacement :(. For now, anyway!

Edit: forgot to mention, the roof bellows was damaged where it had caught in the mechanism (located at the front part, rather than the rear where the Cali goes).

I'm like you. It was with some sadness that I've had to rule out the MP, although I will go again to have a second look. I really wanted to like it, just silly things are ruling it out for now. It's a gorgeous vehicle to sit in, but when I climbed back into Albert the Cali seemed more fit for my purpose. Sad. I would like to poke VW in the eye with something.

Unfortunately it seems that MBUK have not given any thought whatsoever in launching the MP in the UK.Despite taking the correct approach(in my view)selling it through their passenger car channel rather than their commercial vehicle side(as VW do with the Cali),there has been little/no training of salespeople to accommodate potential buyers of this type of vehicle-and it's letting them down big time.When a potential customer approaches a dealership to enquire about a MP it is likely that they know more about the vehicle than the sales guys do-not good!Even worse the optional extras relevant to the mp are not fully explained in the online literature and some extras that are available (option for 4 remote keys/additional heat exchanger for rear for instance)don't appear anywhere for potential buyers to decide whether they want them or not.

Reading just a few of the recent comments in this thread it mentions in so many ways that Mercedes have poorly executed the roll out.
When that happens there is good reason to suspect thats been the case all the way through the design and manufacturing process.
I witness this on projects for the company I work for and have previously worked for.
An idea is born (usually to grab a piece of another market) and fancy presentations are put together, prestigious buffets, launch goodies like cups, pens and key rings with the big wigs in attendance mixing like a family with workers and customers with no costs spared.
Then it gets over the final hurdle and time restraints and budget fall way short of initial promise.
I think that sort of thing shows in the blinds for example.
While the van may have a lot of potential for the future I suspect a lot of unhappy campers may be emerging in the shorter term.

GrannyJen hit the nail on the head. The MP is just that, a gorgeous vehicle as a second or first car but as a long term campervan it is not practical. Bling has a very limited life unless cared for and that means no dogs or young children. My thoughts were that it was designed for affluent couples to tour around and stay in hotels.

I guess I'm lucky that the MP is going to be a 4th car for us.

I had a T5 conversion and get both the heritage and "scene"that comes with a vehicle like the VW. The most logical choice for an upgrade should have been the Cali.

We viewed a MY18 Cali at SMG (Tonbridge) that had just spent 3 days on a stand at a local bank holiday show. While I appreciate the abuse shown over it's time as an exhibit was perhaps a little unfair to judge on it did seem to show the fragility of things like the blinds.

For us the MP offered more. The drive is better, the ergonomics in the cabin are better and the standard spec level is better too. Many comments have been made about leather but again personally I'd take leather over cloth any day.

Sure the Cali it more utilitarian but for those not looking for a vehicle to be a jack of all trades it comes with downsides that the MP doesn't.

I'm sure that both VW and Merc will continue to develop both vehicles, VW have already made changes to the 2018 model in line with some of the bits from an MP.

I should also add that we're a family including young child and a dog....

Hope you have many adventures in the MP. Have you signed up to the sister forum for MP owners?

Not true. Holding the appropriate button on the key fob for 3 seconds opens the rear window too.
I got the information from reading a recent test in campervans magazine 5/2017 (german) where the cali beach is compared with the marco polo horizon. Thank you for correcting my error, that is the strength of a forum, the power of the crowd : fill in any gaps and correct errors. I'll try to be more carefull in future , for example I could have said "it seems that.." or "according to.."
By the way: in CamperVans magazine they conclude both vans are excellent vehicles but cali has advantage when it comes to camper part , mostly (but not only) for the clever chairs and table solution in backdoor and sidedoor.
Sorry for late response, I did not intend to start a war .. As other state this is a cali forum let's concentrate on sharing cali experiences .

It sounds terribly trivial to keep focussing on those chairs and table yet for me it is just so important. Apart from the three darkest months of the year, December to end February, I would never travel without them yet they just take up so much space in the MP.

I loved sitting in the front part of the MP, delightful. I would love it as a driving machine but having said that I have yet to drive a T6, so far only a T5 experience. The rear seats make it a completely superior machine for passengers as a day van, wonderful. However an electric motor to lower and flatten into space, and only one leisure battery, makes me very nervous. Sod's law dictates that it's when the wind is howling, the rain is sheeting, lights have been on since 4pm, the heater blowing for most of the time, upstairs sleeping is not an option, that's when stored energy is going to be too low or the seats fold back asymmetrically.

My arthritic fingers, with me at full stretch, would also struggle with fastening the roof in the up position.

So much I like about the MP. It's infuriating that those things put me off as I would love one, however I want a camper first, a four-season all-round camper that's going to be driven through the foulest of conditions and is going to get me there safe and with everything working to give me a good nights sleep in the wildest of places.

Both campers are a compromise. It's really down to individual judgement as to what compromises suit you best.

I don't think MB have really thought this through with regards to it's possible customer base.
The major points that put me off are:
1. Straps to hold up the roof bed, in this day and age when you have electric motors to open tailgates, side doors and windows? 2 gas struts to hold up the Cali tailgate can be bought for less than £40. What were they thinking.
2. Leisure Battery , only 1 with all the additional power requirements of the lower bed etc: they would need a minimum 150 amp hours or nearer 200 if you ever planned to stay off-grid for a few days
3. Luggage storage. We are pretty minimalistic in what we take but I still have 2 large boxes under the rear shelf with camping stuff, pegs, mallet, water carrier filler, spare gas cylinder awning panel , etc which I wouldn't want to have to take off the shelf to put up the lower bed.

No, someone needs to put their thinking cap on. Gas Struts, easily sorted.
2 x 100 amp Hour Leisure Batteries without reducing storage capacity.
2 x chairs and 1x table carried in such a way that frees up the space below the parcel shelf and does not limit usability i.e.: if not used do not have to be moved around to make up rear bed.

Idea for MB, not that they will read this. 3/4" storage compartment in lower cabin head lining so that table and chairs can slide in from side door, thus freeing up boot storage space if you cannot design storage within tailgate or side door.

A friend asked what to buy so I checked the MB configurator for the Beach alternative.
For 20.000€ more than a similar speced Beach I get the worlds smallest stereo display and 20BHP less.
Each to their own but I dont find it that much better or better looking. MBs reputation regarding rust is much worse than VW in Sweden. Maybe the shops take care of customers better.

Just out of interest, what is the consensus for the inaccurate component?

(a) The measurement of fuel consumed? (Surely over the course of 500 km this is going to be close to accurate if only because the system has to report when a tank is getting close to empty)

(b) The measurement of distance travelled? (Again, I assume this is largely accurate having measured my route against other sources)

(c) The division operator?
Expansion of the fuel tank in warm weather means you put more fuel in but this isn't measured by the trip computer.

I expect that car manufactures calibrate their computers at a cool temperature, and therefore trip computers almost invariably over read.

Try taking brim to brim measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expansion of the fuel tank in warm weather means you put more fuel in but this isn't measured by the trip computer.

I expect that car manufactures calibrate their computers at a cool temperature, and therefore trip computers almost invariably over read.

Why do we need to be so precisely scientific?

I know that I am a dumb-assed illogical woman but I do know when I have driven 500 miles, the fuel reserve light has not beeped at me, I pull up at a fuel station and stuff £70 or £80 pounds worth in, tap Albert on the bonnet and think "great stuff Albert"and drive on.

I am driving a leisure vehicle, not a babbage calculating machine.

Never bothered with the Cali. However I have achieved 600miles out of a tank.
629 miles is my record - on Finland's empty roads.

I recorded all my refuels and mileage over a 75 day trip around Scandinavia and the Baltic States of over 6000 miles.

Mpg came to 35.89
Trip computer claimed over 38 mpg.

Van was fully loaded, 2 adults, 2 boys, 2 dogs plus 4 bikes and a trailer on the rear rack.
010cb8f92a84ea28b1395ad82d917c67.jpg

Despite taking the correct approach(in my view)selling it through their passenger car channel rather than their commercial vehicle side(as VW do with the Cali)

I am very happy my van is serviced and looked after through VW commercial dealership they have years of experience and knowledge working on transporters if they were moved to car dealership it would be like the new boys servicing fixing any issues.

As the coefficient of expansion of diesel is approx 0.00083 per degree Celsius the temperature difference would be negligible in real terms - a 50 degree C difference in temperature would make about 3% difference by volume.

Brim to brim measurements are probably just as inaccurate as the tank itself would expand in hot weather.

Differences in accuracy due to temperature is probably more to do with the fuel for the engine heater (as well as the parking heater) not being recorded by the computer.

When I am in the middle of nowhere with 300 miles to the next filling station I will be so pleased that my precise recording of fuel consumption drove me to fill up.

On the other hand I might just be overwhelmed that common sense kicked in and I filled the bugger at every opportunity and to hell with the computers.

I would rather have a full tank and the heater kicking out warmth.

Back