Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

Must disagree we use our Ocean as a daily drive . We don't find it dull or not a nice feel to be sat driving . We love it . It's the best car/van we had to drive daily & really comfortable on long journeys especially with Adaptive Cruise.
And yes the adaptive cruise control is really nice to have along with the lane guidance

Hello Guys well i am back finally after 2 weeks of my European trip in my MP L250 AMG.
Firstly i must say that the mpg is remarkable. In total i have just completed 2700 miles and the average mpg for the whole trip shows at 43.8 mpg and this was 80 % motorway mileage at an average of 65 to 70 mph.
3 or 4 times was i stuck in heavy traffic for 30 mins or so crawling at 10mph and stopping again after a few yards. the rest was town driving and some rough terrain on some dodgy makeshift campsites too plus a 10 minute mad spurge at 120mph on the German autobahn near Frankfurt just to see how it handles and performs.
The handling and driving experience is really nice and comfortable and you soon forget you are basically driving a van but there are a few annoying things too like no cup holders directly in front of you as you have to use the door pocket cup holder also where the usb slots in the front are located under the command consul but above the controller for the roof and fridge and the gap is very small to get your hands in which makes it nearly impossible to connect into whilst driving.

Sleeping in the vehicle is a pleasure ether upstairs or downstairs and is very comfortable.
I am 6ft3 and heavy built so this was important to me.
Putting down the rear seat and air bolstering it up takes way less than a minute and in my opinion is worth the little extra time than the Cali manual rear seat and doesn't require any sort of mattress for comfort.
The roof bed is even more comfortable and with the sides unzipped letting in a slight breeze made my sleeping up there even better than sleeping at home with a window open as it was still in access of 34c at 10pm at night.
Cooking in the vehicle is great and i did make a chicken and vegatable stew in the same time as i would at home and to boil water for a coffee takes seconds.
The multiple cupboards have so much room that i didn't fill all of them even on the way back after the must do duty free goodies from Belgium.
Yes the table and chair scenario is not the greatest and it does take up some boot space but you can fit loads more equipment into that same area along with the table and chairs. I put in all my breakdown stuff required plus 25m hookup leads and all the paraphernalia required to go camping. The draw underneath the rear sofa is large and you can fit a lot more stuff into.
I even forgot to use the bit that drops down from the rear ceiling cupboard thingy as there is even more room in there too.
The fridge freezer thing works too well and if you don't have the internal basket for it anything that touches the sides after a while starts to freeze up a little.

After everything said my personal thoughts are like this.

If i had a younger family with 2 small kids plus a dog and liked to be the outdoor adventurous type i would probably got for the VW Ocean with a couple of extras but would also have a normal car as a daily driver.

Saying that the leather on the MP is very good quality and i had to clean the drivers front seat as the light colour on the bolster was showing signs of dirt from sliding in out numerous times but was done in seconds.

Then cleaned the kitchen smoked glass worktops in seconds also the boot marks on the cupboard doors was a simple clean.

On the floor in the kitchen section i had placed my estate rear floor carpet and it fitted as was made to measure so just a quick hoover sorted that out.

For me the MP is not just a camper its my daily driver too so thats what made me buy the MP and not the VW Ocean as the ocean in comparison is dull and not a nice feel to be sat driving for a long period of time.

Finally out of interest i went to the VW California website and used the build your own up an Ocean to the
exact spec of my MB Marco Polo L250 AMG including interior to light coloured Leather and the DSG transmission and all the other bits and was shocked that it came to well over £68,500 thats before the OTR charges that would of made it a few pence short of the £70k mark.

My MP i got for a few pence over £65k and am happy with it.

Thanks for the review Simon.
Any pics of the MP...?

Hello Guys well i am back finally after 2 weeks of my European trip in my MP L250 AMG.
Firstly i must say that the mpg is remarkable. In total i have just completed 2700 miles and the average mpg for the whole trip shows at 43.8 mpg and this was 80 % motorway mileage at an average of 65 to 70 mph.
3 or 4 times was i stuck in heavy traffic for 30 mins or so crawling at 10mph and stopping again after a few yards. the rest was town driving and some rough terrain on some dodgy makeshift campsites too plus a 10 minute mad spurge at 120mph on the German autobahn near Frankfurt just to see how it handles and performs.
The handling and driving experience is really nice and comfortable and you soon forget you are basically driving a van but there are a few annoying things too like no cup holders directly in front of you as you have to use the door pocket cup holder also where the usb slots in the front are located under the command consul but above the controller for the roof and fridge and the gap is very small to get your hands in which makes it nearly impossible to connect into whilst driving.

Sleeping in the vehicle is a pleasure ether upstairs or downstairs and is very comfortable.
Putting down the rear seat and air bolstering it up takes way less than a minute and in my opinion is worth the little extra time than the Cali manual rear seat and doesn't require any sort of mattress for comfort.
The roof bed is even more comfortable and with the sides unzipped letting in a slight breeze made my sleeping up there even better than sleeping at home with a window open as it was still in access of 34c at 10pm at night.
Cooking in the vehicle is great and i did make a chicken and vegatable stew in the same time as i would at home and to boil water for a coffee takes seconds.
The multiple cupboards have so much room that i didn't fill all of them even on the way back after the must do duty free goodies from Belgium.
Yes the table and chair scenario is not the greatest and it does take up some boot space but you can fit loads more equipment into that same area along with the table and chairs. I put in all my breakdown stuff required plus 25m hookup leads and all the paraphernalia required to go camping. The draw underneath the rear sofa is large and you can fit a lot more stuff into.
I even forgot to use the bit that drops down from the rear ceiling cupboard thingy as there is even more room in there too.
The fridge freezer thing works too well and if you don't have the internal basket for it anything that touches the sides after a while starts to freeze up a little.

If i had a younger family with 2 small kids plus a dog and liked to be the outdoor adventurous type i would probably got for the VW Ocean with a couple of extras but would also have a normal car as a daily driver.

Saying that the leather on the MP is very good quality and i had to clean the drivers front seat as the light colour on the bolster was showing signs of dirt from sliding in out numerous times but was done in seconds.

Then cleaned the kitchen smoked glass worktops in seconds also the boot marks on the cupboard doors was a simple clean.

On the floor in the kitchen section i had placed my estate rear floor carpet and it fitted as was made to measure so just a quick hoover sorted that out.

For me the MP is not just a camper its my daily driver too so thats what made me buy the MP and not the VW Ocean as the ocean in comparison is dull and not a nice feel to be sat driving for a long period of time.

Finally out of interest i went to the VW California website and used the build your own up an Ocean to the
exact spec of my MB Marco Polo L250 AMG including interior to light coloured Leather and the DSG transmission and all the other bits and was shocked that it came to well over £68,500 thats before the OTR charges that would of made it a few pence short of the £70k mark.

Thanks for the feed back ... one thing: do you have LEDs? They are not really cheap so I wonder if it is or not good investment ...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting your report. I find the Ocean is a great daily driver. I've done 9000 miles in just over 4 months in mine and often do London and back in a day (400 mile round trip). Your configurator price of £70k is, presumably, before any dealer discount, so I guess price wise they are about the same. The MP came to the U.K. just before I took delivery of my van, so I did give it some thought. I do like the interior, just not keen on its looks outside. That's why I stuck with the VW. Glad you like yours though. That's what it's all about.

I think that when you get in to drive a VW California it's not just about equipment drivability etc etc, it's is an event. It's a feeling that puts a smile on your face. It's the original of the species. Unbeatable in my opinion.
Thanks for your review.

Sonas

Thanks for the feed back ... one thing: do you have LEDs? They are not really cheap so I wonder if it is or not good investment ...

The LEDs are worth every penny in my opinion. Set to auto and forget. Driving at night is so much easier with the auto-dip headlight function and the auto-cornering illumination.

The LEDs are worth every penny in my opinion. Set to auto and forget. Driving at night is so much easier with the auto-dip headlight function and the auto-cornering illumination.
Thanks! I knew it, I just did not want to believe it so I could save the money ... But they are already on the "must" list.
Thanks!

Nothing against the Marco Polo but Evans is a prat and unworthy of his inflated salary and ego.

As one comment said, a few paragraphs of generality preceded by a few pages of banality. Sad really as the MP is the most exciting thing that has happened in my camper van life since flying through the air on a mountain road and it deserves a quality review.

Hi and yes i have the full intelligent LED'S and they are great ....

Hi and yes i do have the LED'S and they are worth every penny as someone else has already mentioned about what they can do but to add one more thing is you can also go into your settings and change from left to right side driving so no more sticking on silly stickers when abroad.

It is the Sister site to this one, owned and operated by the same owners, so we have no problems. We all share the same lifestyle. Anyone who respects anyone else that shares the same lifestyle and the same right to choose what camper van they share the lifestyle in is welcome
Hi

I have tried to join the mp club and have tried many times.
It keeps saying that an conformation has been sent but i never receive one... I have looked through my junk folder too just in case but alas nothing.

Any ideas ????

I'm reading this tread and people are talking as if the Marco Polo is a new invention. It has been around for as long as the T5 California. I know it is new to UK but not to us who are in the EU. Maybe now you leave the EU they will not supply UK any more.

I'm reading this tread and people are talking as if the Marco Polo is a new invention. It has been around for as long as the T5 California. I know it is new to UK but not to us who are in the EU. Maybe now you leave the EU they will not supply UK any more.
Well that is to be seen but i doubt Mercedes will stop any form of supplies to the UK as we purchase 1 in every 7 passenger vehicles made in Germany

Well that is to be seen but i doubt Mercedes will stop any form of supplies to the UK as we purchase 1 in every 7 passenger vehicles made in Germany

And we'll retaliate by refusing to send them any more Bedford Bambis. Or any more dodgy financial derivatives, Irn Bru or Spice Girls.

Brilliant Review, thank you.
What do you mean air bolstering up the seat/bed?

Brilliant Review, thank you.
What do you mean air bolstering up the seat/bed?

One of the more distinctive designs of the rear seat in the MP is it is split. You can have a single or double bed. Each of the split seats have bolster by the side giving a sculptured rather than dead flat seating surface. The Bolsters are inflated / deflated by the electric mechanisms that also fold back the seats. I like the idea if not the execution.

Hi

I have tried to join the mp club and have tried many times.
It keeps saying that an conformation has been sent but i never receive one... I have looked through my junk folder too just in case but alas nothing.

Any ideas ????
You entered your email incorrectly?

One of the more distinctive designs of the rear seat in the MP is it is split. You can have a single or double bed. Each of the split seats have bolster by the side giving a sculptured rather than dead flat seating surface. The Bolsters are inflated / deflated by the electric mechanisms that also fold back the seats. I like the idea if not the execution.
So, when in bed with your partner, you can blow up the bolster, and roll her away?? Nice, ...and handy if she has hot flushes or snores

Just had a good look at Marco Polo today in showroom whilst my Smart car was being MOT'd . Not very impressed . Very plasticky inside . Cupboards etc far superior in Cali . Felt like a cheap copy of California. Didn't drive it . It did have hot water though which would be nice .

Well I didn't drive it in the end and declined the extended test drive offer in advanced. Decided it would be more beneficial to take my V8 up to Wales and give it a oil change, and new front brake hoses.

The Mercedes sales guy was keen for feedback so I went through a list. Most of which has been discussed in depth on here.

My local dealer has now mentioned the California XXL

Back