Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MFD 1 Upgrade

Looks good, when I get a Cali I'm hoping to do a similar upgrade. Just wondering does the position of the unit allow for easy viewing while driving?
It's not too bad. It obvs would be better more central. It's big enough to see.
This model has a split screen option so you can have the satnav or music closest to you.
It's only LHD imports that have sufficient space for a double DIN unit. U.K. models have a steering column structure in the way.

It's not too bad. It obvs would be better more central. It's big enough to see.
This model has a split screen option so you can have the satnav or music closest to you.
It's only LHD imports that have sufficient space for a double DIN unit. U.K. models have a steering column structure in the way.

Yea I like the idea of the one unit to look after audio/phone/sat nav etc. I also like the original look kept. I've seen double din units fitted to uk t4's and two of the vents removed in order to make it fit, so the unt is higher up but sill not central. I wouldn't like the idea of removing the vents though.

It's only LHD imports that have sufficient space for a double DIN unit.
I understood it's not all LHD imports....as I was told mine has the cross member. I thought age had something to do with it?? Maybe I should check!

Now if Dan were here we'd have a definitive chassis number/build date cross check.

The important thing is, mine has the space (evil laugh) Wwwaaa ha haaa

I understood it's not all LHD imports....as I was told mine has the cross member. I thought age had something to do with it?? Maybe I should check!
Has yours a double or single din fitted at the factory? I had thought up until now that all Cali's fitted with a single din had a crossmember and the ones with a double din didn't.

Has yours a double or single din fitted at the factory? I had thought up until now that all Cali's fitted with a single din had a crossmember and the ones with a double din didn't.
Mine's a single din... A Gamma from memory. Not many Cali's here can play cassettes ;).
I've got an aux-in bluetooth streaming attachment in an attempt to bring it up to date, and it has a Nokia 'invisible' Bluetooth phone kit plumbed in, but it's all a bit complicated, and I really miss DAB as I'm a radio 5 listener stuck with MW.

Mine was/is double.

Yea its difficult to get a modern setup. The best option seems to be a modern unit with radio, cd/dvd bluetooth phone, reverse camera etc.

I'm gutted that Blaupunkt don't compete in this market.

The Alpine is ok but it's still Jap cheap shiny plastic, crappy feel buttons and PlayStation graphics. Why??

I looked at them all. None compare to the look and feel of a BlueSpot.

Chaps,

The new bus has the MFD1 Nav/TV unit (2003).
I've done some preliminary research into converting this head unit to take iPhone 6 input and reverse camera input.

I think it's a non starter after iPhone 4 plus the single input won't allow reverse switch activation of the camera.

Probably the double DIN head unit needs changing.

Any experience here?

P.
Hi Sidepod, I’m new and have a 2002 California Westfalia with Sat Nav, here is a picture, just following this old thread Sat Nav upgrade I too have the same problem I have radio Sat Nav CD 6 Changer integration in the main unit, did you find a solution to the problem?
Re replacement, upgrade including ad Ons such as connecting iPhone to listen to iTunes music, I have a budget so the sky is not the limit happy with a second hand unit, what would you recommend?

Gosh. Tricky question. Apple play seems to be everywhere now so I guess it’s a case of picking a head unit to suit your needs.

I believe Apple play allows Sat Nav streaming so you can use your phone ie you don’t need that function in the head unit.

Back