Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin to change all tyres to Cross Climate pattern

Yes, exactly that size and also the XL version for transporters and vans

We are also 2 people (senior) who travel light in our Cali.
Great to hear. I then put 3.2 bar into the tires.
How long distance have you driven these tires?

About 36.500 km That is not very long but according to what I see and hear not bad at all for a quite soft 4-season. Especially when you know that at least 20.000 km were on Norwegian and Scottish mountain roads with short turns and a quite agressive granite in top (N) and a lot of very bad tarmac (Scotland). So I wasn't disappointed at all - changed the fronts wit about 3mm on it. Back is still five-ish.

About 36.500 km That is not very long but according to what I see and hear not bad at all for a quite soft 4-season. Especially when you know that at least 20.000 km were on Norwegian and Scottish mountain roads with short turns and a quite agressive granite in top (N) and a lot of very bad tarmac (Scotland). So I wasn't disappointed at all - changed the fronts wit about 3mm on it. Back is still five-ish.

That was nice to hear. Thanks for your help. We can now continue our Cali life with the soft ones. Thank you again for your assistance. Many greetings from Copenhagen.

Is it legal or wise to use Michelin CrossClimate tyres on a Cali??

I am not an expert, but this is what I have found so far:

For my 2013 140ch Cali, the homologated tyre is 215/65 R16C 102/100T with a pressure of 3.3bar (48psi) for max load.
"C" indicates reinforced tyres for light-commercial vehicles, previously called "6-ply rating" & capable of running at 50psi.
As far as I can see, there is no CrossClimate with R16C rating.
There is a 215/65 R16 102V XL CrossClimate, which therefore seems OK on dimensions, OK on load rating (102) & superior on speed rating (V) so you would think you could use it.
Except for "XL" instead of "C".
"XL" indicates extra-load rating but only up to 41psi, suggesting the tyre would be outside its limits at 48psi???

I asked both Michelin France & VW France if it would be OK to use CrossClimate 215/65 R16 102V XL on my Cali.
Michelin said they only recommend their Agilis 51 which has "C" rating but is only a summer tyre...
VW said it would be OK, but spoiled it all by then saying they didn't know what the "C" meant!!!

So - I repeat that I am not competent in this field & I would be very interested in any really qualified opinion on the equivalence between "C" & "XL" ratings & on the legality & wisdom of using the CrossClimates on a Cali at 48psi.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

http://b2c.sullivantire.com:8082/Tire/Understanding Tire Markings and Ratings.htm

Is it legal or wise to use Michelin CrossClimate tyres on a Cali??

I am not an expert, but this is what I have found so far:

For my 2013 140ch Cali, the homologated tyre is 215/65 R16C 102/100T with a pressure of 3.3bar (48psi) for max load.
"C" indicates reinforced tyres for light-commercial vehicles, previously called "6-ply rating" & capable of running at 50psi.
As far as I can see, there is no CrossClimate with R16C rating.
There is a 215/65 R16 102V XL CrossClimate, which therefore seems OK on dimensions, OK on load rating (102) & superior on speed rating (V) so you would think you could use it.
Except for "XL" instead of "C".
"XL" indicates extra-load rating but only up to 41psi, suggesting the tyre would be outside its limits at 48psi???

I asked both Michelin France & VW France if it would be OK to use CrossClimate 215/65 R16 102V XL on my Cali.
Michelin said they only recommend their Agilis 51 which has "C" rating but is only a summer tyre...
VW said it would be OK, but spoiled it all by then saying they didn't know what the "C" meant!!!

So - I repeat that I am not competent in this field & I would be very interested in any really qualified opinion on the equivalence between "C" & "XL" ratings & on the legality & wisdom of using the CrossClimates on a Cali at 48psi.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

http://b2c.sullivantire.com:8082/Tire/Understanding Tire Markings and Ratings.htm
This is from the UK Michelin site, for your vehicle.
IMG_0395.jpg

Well, Michelin have the wrong sizes & only lead you to Agilis+ & Agilis Alpine, not CrossClimate...

Well, Michelin UK have the wrong sizes & only lead you to Agilis+ & Agilis Alpine, not CrossClimate.

Well, Michelin UK have the wrong sizes & only lead you to Agilis+ & Agilis Alpine, not CrossClimate.
Well they have the correct sizes for my vehicle. I have 17" wheels.

Hi,
Resurrecting an old thread but have been running through many posts and hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel.....
Really happy with Michelin CrossClimates on another car and would like to get them for the "new-to-us" Cali 204 4M coming in a few days, however also need to be able to fit snow chains.
According to Blackcircles.com and Michelin website the CrossClimates are available in 235/55R17 as +/SUV with the right load rating (but are too big to take snow chains on the Cali), OR....you can get CrossClimates in 215/60R17 but load rating is too low at 100.
I see references to Agilis CrossClimates but I can't find anything indicating them in 215/60R17 size.
I'm used to swapping summer to winter wheels but would rather just have one set of all seasons for the Cali.
Any suggestions gratefully received....thank you

Black Circles have replied that Michelin don’t make the CrossClimate with a sufficient load rating in that size, and suggest Goodyear Cargo Vectors or Pirelli Carrier All Season.
The Pirelli seems to have better characteristics - does anyone have any feedback on these please?

You can have the Michelin Latitude Cross in our load rating if you are happy with the slightly more AT tread pattern.

Hi,
Resurrecting an old thread but have been running through many posts and hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel.....
Really happy with Michelin CrossClimates on another car and would like to get them for the "new-to-us" Cali 204 4M coming in a few days, however also need to be able to fit snow chains.
According to Blackcircles.com and Michelin website the CrossClimates are available in 235/55R17 as +/SUV with the right load rating (but are too big to take snow chains on the Cali), OR....you can get CrossClimates in 215/60R17 but load rating is too low at 100.
I see references to Agilis CrossClimates but I can't find anything indicating them in 215/60R17 size.
I'm used to swapping summer to winter wheels but would rather just have one set of all seasons for the Cali.
Any suggestions gratefully received....thank you

Roofbox company do a whole range of ‘Ladder track’ snow chains that will fit the 235/55/R17 tyres, but they are at the high end of cost.

Depends where you go in the alps.
But you can get snow socks to fit that size tyre. Just another option...

Good news. I’m down to 4mm on the fronts. Time to go tire shopping soon and I’m gonna try the Cross Climates

I am still currently on the original tyres that came with the vehicle 2015.

They are Bridgestone Turanza 235/55R17 103V
we have done 23,837miles or 38,139kms I did replace one as it was worn on the corner due to poor wheel alignment.
Just had MOT and tyres are still within legal limit.

Although I feel the tyres have performed well I was wondering if anyone would like to post their miles/kms for their Cross climates.
We are 4 motion 2015 SE

I will be shopping around soon but as we don't intend any hardcore snow or mud driving tempted to go with the same.

Back still OK after almost 60k km Fronts changed after about 47k km
Fronts are worn mostly at the sides. Probably due to a lot of corners on the narrow roads in Norway, Scotland and Wales. I was prepared to see more wear and tear and a shorter lifespan because the rubber is quite soft.

(215 R 65 16C)

Back still OK after almost 60k km Fronts changed after about 47k km
Fronts are worn mostly at the sides. Probably due to a lot of corners on the narrow roads in Norway, Scotland and Wales. I was prepared to see more wear and tear and a shorter lifespan because the rubber is quite soft.

(215 R 65 16C)
Thanks Deskman. That's good mileage. Is the C speed rating correct.
C does not even appear on most charts as it is so low.

Thanks Deskman. That's good mileage. Is the C speed rating correct.
C does not even appear on most charts as it is so low.

I have a donkey to pull it - I'm living a slow life.

But sorry: I copied it from an old mail message. The bill is more accurate: 215/65R16 102V XL

Back