Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin to change all tyres to Cross Climate pattern

Teejay

Teejay

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
HI All
I was in Costco today enquiring about Cross Climate in the 235 /17" size. The load rating was not correct but he did say that Michelin were changing all of their commercial tyres to the Cross Climate pattern and rubber compound. He has been running them on his own car and said they've been great.

It might mean the end of separate summer and winter tyres.

Has anyone else heard or seen anything to confirm or contradict?

Never bothered which pattern a tire has really. We have three types here, studded and nonstudded for winter and summer tires. Some refer to non studded as all seasons.

I have winter tyres for my t5 however as we haven't had a bad winter since 2010 not really tested them. I have cross climate on my golf so waiting to see what this winter brings. If they work well when tested I would look to run the t5 tyres off and get them. It would be nice not to have to change the wheels over.

Handy if you'd post the Golf conclusions? If we have a winter.

Teejay1, I'm at the top of a hill so if we do they will get tested, I've used winter tyres for years and found them great, so wanted to try cross climate tyres out. I will post something about them if snow heads our way this winter.

To avoid the cost & hassle of 2 sets of wheels/tyres, I have been using winter tyres all year round on several cars for the last 12 years (in spite of dire warnings...).

I ordered my new Cali in 2013 on winters & got Bridgestone Blizzac LM-18C's.
I just replaced the fronts at 60,000km with the same and the rears should be OK to 120,000.
I hope there will be something like Cross-Climates available for the T5 by then.

We bought a new Golf in February & were unable to get it delivered with winter tyres (surprising), so had to sell the (new) old tyres immediately & replace them with winters.
By this time, I had heard enough about Cross-Climates to think they were the best compromise for me, so had them fitted.
No comments so far.

A French Consumer Association just ran a comparative test of winter tyres, including some All-Seasons & the Cross-Climates.
The results, judging them as winter tyres, were a bit disappointing for the C-C's.
They are not anywhere near as good as the best winter tyres, in snow or in cold-&-wet.
Rated 8.4/20 compared with Goodyear UltraGrip 9s at 13.5/20 (not same size though...)

So - not great winter tyres, but maybe still the best all-year-round compromise??

I put cross climate on alloys when normal tyres needed changing. I still have steels with winter tyres should they not perform at hoped, thought it was worth getting c c anyway given our normal British climate!!

Decided I will probably not be going for specific winter tyres so looking to get my ducks in a row when I need to make the switch.

So far :-

http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/03/michelin-crossclimate-now-available-for-4x4-and-suv/
or
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92866/goodyear-vector-4seasons-gen-2-tyre-review
Or
https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/cargo_vector_2.CARGOVECT2.html

I believe all these meet the snowflake requirement

To go out on a 4Motion.

I know tyres are round and usually black. That's about it

Edit:- http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is-there-a-true-all-season-tyre-We-find-out.htm

So far for me in the Sunny South the CrossClimate has a narrow lead.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Decided I will probably not be going for specific winter tyres so looking to get my ducks in a row when I need to make the switch.

So far :-

http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/03/michelin-crossclimate-now-available-for-4x4-and-suv/
or
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92866/goodyear-vector-4seasons-gen-2-tyre-review
Or
https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/cargo_vector_2.CARGOVECT2.html

I believe all these meet the snowflake requirement

To go out on a 4Motion.

I know tyres are round and usually black. That's about it

Edit:- http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is-there-a-true-all-season-tyre-We-find-out.htm

So far for me in the Sunny South the CrossClimate has a narrow lead.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I plan on going with all weather, from the AutoExpress report that @WelshGas posted they said that the Goodyear vector Gen2 would have come second in their winter tyre test. That sounds good to me !

..me..

That may be the case but we had heavy snow on Wednesday morning, first time for a few years. I took the kids to school down our nearby steep hill and back on my golf with cross climate tyres passing stuck cars, parked cars where people had given up and also passed a Passat probably with summer tyres on, that had skidded across the road through a fence into a garden. They worked very well.

That may be the case but we had heavy snow on Wednesday morning, first time for a few years. I took the kids to school down our nearby steep hill and back on my golf with cross climate tyres passing stuck cars, parked cars where people had given up and also passed a Passat probably with summer tyres on, that had skidded across the road through a fence into a garden. They worked very well.
Thanks for the replies. Looking like the Goodyear is a Winter/Summer bias and the Michelin Cross Climate more Summer/Winter.
Good news is there are at least a couple of alternatives and tyre technology as with most bounding forward.

Mike

I have put the Michelin Cross Climate on my Cali last year before heading to Lofoten in april. I do have real winters on steel but as I do like travel in spring and autumn, but not mid-winter, I guessed that these *** all-season tires would do. But by then nobody could tell me how these new tyres would perform with a van. It was even quite hard to find them in the right size for my T5 174HP.

Driving in wet and dry is fine, no extra noise and quite comfortable. And performance in real snow is decent in comparison with the real winters I had on my normal car (Opel Vectra) but there is quite some difference in weight and power...

By now they have served me for over 23.000 km. There is still 5mm profile left and if I have to buy new tyres I won't hesitate to buy these Cross Climates again. For me it is the best universal solution.

IMG_2409.jpg

I have put the Michelin Cross Climate on my Cali last year before heading to Lofoten in april. I do have real winters on steel but as I do like travel in spring and autumn, but not mid-winter, I guessed that these *** all-season tires would do. But by then nobody could tell me how these new tyres would perform with a van. It was even quite hard to find them in the right size for my T5 174HP.

Driving in wet and dry is fine, no extra noise and quite comfortable. And performance in real snow is decent in comparison with the real winters I had on my normal car (Opel Vectra) but there is quite some difference in weight and power...

By now they have served me for over 23.000 km. There is still 5mm profile left and if I have to buy new tyres I won't hesitate to buy these Cross Climates again. For me it is the best universal solution.

IMG_2409.jpg
Hi Which Michelin Cross Climates did you put on please. I can't seem to find a 235/55R17 103v?

Thanks in advance.

I'm on 17" wheels, come on get some more sizes out Michelin!!

They do exist... Just ask your dealer to order them. I had order them at a very small workshop with no stock who was willing to order them on short notice. Profile, kwik-fit and all big Dutch tyre centers couldn't get them in time.

Ok just contacted Michelin they have these which have a slightly higher speed rating.
235 55 R 17 103 Y XL B B 69dB
£179.99 RRP

Unfortunately I had just ordered another Bridgestone Turanza 235/55R17 103V which was worn due to incorrect wheel alignment.

Thanks for the update on sizes. They weren't available when I got them for my golf. I'll be getting some when my current tyres are worn out.

Hello Deskman

I've just got Michelin CrossClimate on my California. I am in doubt about which tire pressure. Can you help me and tell what tire pressure you use on your California under normal circumstances.

My tire data is: Michelin CrossClimate + 215/65 R16 102V XL (without C).

(Are your tires Michelin CrossClimate + 215/65 R16C 102V XL?)

The best greetings
Kim

I am in doubt about which tire pressure. Can you help me and tell what tire pressure you use on your California under normal circumstances.

I was advised by the garage to keep them a bit above 3 bar. After changing the front tires they put them on 3.2 front and back (we are camping lightweight with just the 2 of us). This should give the quite soft walled tyres a better handling. I used to keep them at 2.7

I was advised by the garage to keep them a bit above 3 bar. After changing the front tires they put them on 3.2 front and back (we are camping lightweight with just the 2 of us). This should give the quite soft walled tyres a better handling. I used to keep them at 2.7

Are your tires also Michelin CrossClimate + 215/65 R16 102V XL?

Back