Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Good point. I forgot the collapsable one I keep in the pub out drawer. Yet to be used in anger after 35 nights away but provides a good sense of security in case of emergencies.

Along the same lines another essential piece of equipment is a 1L pee bottle which hides away in the Busboxx shoebox.

Yes I have a pee bottle too and I forgot solar, an essential if you want to go off grid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have all the basics, my advice is to do a few trips when you have the van and you’ll soon work out what you would like to add or leave behind.

My base kit certainly has changed and evolved and of course you will have your own hobbies and passions to cater for - don’t start me on coffee, I tried all sorts of kit before I landed on my perfect Cali brew set up!

I do have a few things I carry on every trip.

1. A cheap bamboo duckboard that I keep outside the sliding door for minimising mud/sand in the van
2. A 5l cooler for drinking water, tea and coffee. I only use the onboard water for cooking and washing. I use a Yeti but other (much cheaper) brands are available…
3. Tyre table for extra cooking and washing up space. An essential for me but I tend to either wild camp or stay where facilities are very basic and do most of my cooking outside, even in winter. So for most people probably not an essential.

I also always carry a bivvy loo for emergencies but only needed it maybe one per 100 nights.

Coffee was going to be one of my questions!

I’ve geeked around at home, having decided to leave espresso to the experts, as a really decent set up costs £££££. I’ve settled on the Sage Precision brewer for filter with a Fellow Ode Gen 2 grinder. Always thought filter was the horrible, bitter, lukewarm stewed muck on hot plates.

After a 3 week tour in a 4WD around Costa Rica, where every hotel & hostel has a drip filter machine, I changed my thoughts.

I’ve seen lots of mini espresso machines. Not convinced yet. I relied on my Aeropress for the last few rentals.

All ears.

BTW, if you haven’t tried Origin beans, I’d recommend. Popped into their roastery in Porthleven while we were jaunting around The Lizard last week.

Apologies, long off topic post. But coffee is black, so are swampers. So all ok.

I’ve geeked around at home, having decided to leave espresso to the experts, as a really decent set up costs £££££. I’ve settled on the Sage Precision brewer for filter with a Fellow Ode Gen 2 grinder. Always thought filter was the horrible, bitter, lukewarm stewed muck on hot plates.

After a 3 week tour in a 4WD around Costa Rica, where every hotel & hostel has a drip filter machine, I changed my thoughts.

I’ve seen lots of mini espresso machines. Not convinced yet. I relied on my Aeropress for the last few rentals.

All ears.

BTW, if you haven’t tried Origin beans, I’d recommend. Popped into their roastery in Porthleven while we were jaunting around The Lizard last week.

Apologies, long off topic post. But coffee is black, so are swampers. So all ok.
Coffee is not to be overlooked. Nothing better than having a nice Yeti filled to the brim with hot delicious coffee.
I have a high end espresso setup at home, but enjoy simplicity on the road. Drip coffee for me. Beans are the most important aspect. Never skimp on using quality beans that are roasted for drip coffee. After investigating different hand grinding options I plunked for the 1zPreso JE with Italmill conical burrs. Takes about 30-40 seconds to grind 15g of beans. For filter folder I use the Origami which sits directly over the Yeti. Simple yet very satisfying.

Coffee is not to be overlooked. Nothing better than having a nice Yeti filled to the brim with hot delicious coffee.
I have a high end espresso setup at home, but enjoy simplicity on the road. Drip coffee for me. Beans are the most important aspect. Never skimp on using quality beans that are roasted for drip coffee. After investigating different hand grinding options I plunked for the 1zPreso JE with Italmill conical burrs. Takes about 30-40 seconds to grind 15g of beans. For filter folder I use the Origami which sits directly over the Yeti. Simple yet very satisfying.
Listen to yourselves Gents, this pompous coffee chat has absolutely no place in the swamper thread. In here we eat a spoonful of instant coffee dry and then find a bear to fight.

All ears.

I did warn you not to start me off on coffee…

I use an aeropress and a collapsible dripper with V60 filters in the van. Ms Wildslamm is a fan of milk coffee drinks so I’ve cycled through a mokka pot with a plunger milk frother (OK), moved onto the Bellman (better) which was good once I got the knack but generally a bit of a faff, makes great microfoam milk though. I now use a Leverpresso Pro which is not much bigger than my grinder & makes espresso almost as good as my home set up, paired with a Nanofoamer for milk it’s a great and compact set up.

I’ve not tried Origin but have heard good things so will give them a go. I have a subscription with Square Mile and there are a number of good local rosters popping up here in Hampshire.

Cali camping and good coffee is a match made in heaven!

Listen to yourselves Gents, this pompous coffee chat has absolutely no place in the swamper thread. In here we eat a spoonful of instant coffee dry and then find a bear to fight.

Yeah, all the kit i listed above is just a smokescreen - really I make cowboy coffee on the camp fire, occasionally sweetened with squirrel milk

Spoken like a true tea drinker. ; 0
Wrong, got a Jura E8 bean to cup at home so am not averse to a nice flat white or latte macchiato when the mood takes me!

Not sure if you’ve ever been camping in a Cali with a 1 year old and a 3 year old but if you have you’ll probably understand that you’ll take whatever bloody coffee you can get for the two minutes they leave you alone. And that’s if you’ve not already moved on to something stronger.

I use the IZpresso K-plus, which is a great all rounder for the van and very fast. I can grind 18g for espresso in about 30-35 seconds and about the same for 30g for filter. IZpresso really are leading the way in manual grinders.

Oh and as for mandatory kit recommendations, it’s a boring one but I keep a 12V digital tyre compressor in the driver’s door bin. Never know when you might need it.

Wrong, got a Jura E8 bean to cup at home so am not averse to a nice flat white or latte macchiato when the mood takes me!

Not sure if you’ve ever been camping in a Cali with a 1 year old and a 3 year old but if you have you’ll probably understand that you’ll take whatever bloody coffee you can get for the two minutes they leave you alone. And that’s if you’ve not already moved on to something stronger.
A 1 & a 3 year old you say, been there and done that but in a tents or a teardrop trailer - I feel your pain.

This is why you need the Swamper mods, to get out on to the unbeaten tracks where no one can hear you (or your kids) scream…

A 1 & a 3 year old you say, been there and done that but in a tents or a teardrop trailer - I feel your pain.

This is why you need the Swamper mods, to get right out on the unbeaten tracks where no one can hear your (or your kids) scream
Exactly, already bought the bungee straps so I reckon I can fit one on the bike rack, one on the roof rack and if they want to bring a friend I can strap them on the Hess side rail. Then I might have a chance to look at all these fancy coffee gizmos.

Perfect recommendations.

Agree re beans & grind size. Like the look of Origami, useful feedback.

I eat the bear. Then after I’ve made my bearskin hat, I make a delicate single estate origin coffee, farmed by fairies & unicorns, whilst stroking my perfectly groomed beard.

You can use the EF Delta 2 to plug in the Nespresso Vertuo and milk frother.
Then you have a perfect altissio, short.
I have collected around 35 different flavors and always come back to altissio or voltesso. Bianco piccolo, melozio, diavolittio, biano doppio and a Costa rico aint bad either.
I cba with the ball ache of cleaning the grinder and stuff.
Wipe the frother out with the wet wipe I’ve just had a wash with and happy days.

Travel buddy biodegradable wash wipes.
Spare Coleman petrol/ fuel cooking stove.
Micropur tablets - just in case
Firemaple kettle
Olight maurader 7000 lumen torch.
Fan for those hot hot nights.

Caframo Sirocco II Gimbal Fan, 3-Speed 7 inch, Black, 12-24 V​

Compass.
Folding shovel.

I cba with the ball ache of cleaning the grinder and stuff.
There is almost zero retention. No need to clean a manual grinder. If you're anal about it you can grind the first gram or so and discard.

I also have a folding shovel. Again never needed as I use public toilets. But in the wilds I could see a need.

I have a 230V fan which I plug into inverter or Delta 2. Uses very little power and can be programmed to turn off after a set time.
Collapses onto itself for easier storage. Ionizer function helps dispel those odours.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09V7ZM843/

So that was a dumb post. I thought my Swamper costs had spiralled.

Now I am in for another £2k to have a coffee in the woods.

I could stay at the Shangri La for the rest of my days for what a couple of bangers round a campfire in a tin can are costing me.

So that was a dumb post. I thought my Swamper costs had spiralled.

Now I am in for another £2k to have a coffee in the woods.

I could stay at the Shangri La for the rest of my days for what a couple of bangers round a campfire in a tin can are costing me.

well that’s the coffee done. Shall we move on to pack rafts, SUP’s and e-MTB’s?

well that’s the coffee done. Shall we move on to pack rafts, SUP’s and e-MTB’s?

Agh, the SUP is in the garage, with of course a wetsuit of every length & season, unused in their crate.

I’m looking at a Tomahawk Air-C inflatable kayak, as it’s 3 man. One seat for me, two for my craft ale and male grooming products. Ok one for my wife and one for my daughter.

Of the blow up kayaks suitable for a family, it seems decent.

Luckily, at 4 years old, the youngster doesn’t cycle far. So I have a few years to recoup funds dropped on all the other gubbins before round two of e MTBs and whatever eye wateringly expensive customisations and kit I walk myself into.

Agh, the SUP is in the garage, with of course a wetsuit of every length & season, unused in their crate.

I’m looking at a Tomahawk Air-C inflatable kayak, as it’s 3 man. One seat for me, two for my craft ale and male grooming products. Ok one for my wife and one for my daughter.

Of the blow up kayaks suitable for a family, it seems decent.

Luckily, at 4 years old, the youngster doesn’t cycle far. So I have a few years to recoup funds dropped on all the other gubbins before round two of e MTBs and whatever eye wateringly expensive customisations and kit I walk myself into.
Thats the spirit. Resistance is futile.

Glad I bought my Whyte E- 160RS V2 in Moss Green, when they were £2k cheaper !
Done maybe 45miles on it.
Will be keeping it for a long time and wanted something that’s going to last.

Glad I bought my Whyte E- 160RS V2 in Moss Green, when they were £2k cheaper !
Done maybe 45miles on it.
Will be keeping it for a long time and wanted something that’s going to last.
Whyte was what I was looking at
We have General Tire Grabber AT3 235/55 R18 on Amarok rims on ours, works very well with no lift kit. Speedo was about 10% wrong before and now it’s about 2% wrong so actually better. Consumption is worse so when going very far we mount the standard 17” with normal tyres again.
How is the ride/noise vs 17” tarmac tyres? And what sort of % decline in MPG?

I’m coming around to a split identity Ocean.

SwampThing autumn & winter for me to potter on my own and channel my inner woodsman. Monochrome grey & black, craft beer, coffee & coals.

CampThing spring & summer. Fairy lights, Woodstock alloys, tea & campfires.

Maybe even some magnetic flowery decals for my daughter.

Whyte was what I was looking at

How is the ride/noise vs 17” tarmac tyres? And what sort of % decline in MPG?

I’m coming around to a split identity Ocean.

SwampThing autumn & winter for me to potter on my own and channel my inner woodsman. Monochrome grey & black, craft beer, coffee & coals.

CampThing spring & summer. Fairy lights, Woodstock alloys, tea & campfires.

Maybe even some magnetic flowery decals for my daughter.
Magnetic 3M flowery decals?! A true masculine bearded swamper driver would put those on with 3M tape.